Cardio BEFORE or AFTER lifting?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by GaLaTeA, Oct 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GaLaTeA

GaLaTeA GymArt

...I had a quick question, since browsing online proved to be more confusing than anything else ~ I noticed a big argument about doing your cardio before or after you lift weights. :confused:

...I have my cardio down but, I read that caution is advised when one choses to do cardio workouts.

Thoughts?
    test
  2. Dark_Sun

Dark_Sun Phantom of the Forums

Depends on the results you are trying to reach for. I was trying to lose weight so I did more cardio than weights and it helped. If you are trying to tone and optimize muscle then you should lift weights first and then do some cardio. If you are do cardio first it will put your body into a more fat burning mode and that can also burn muscle mass too but if you lift weights first it will still burn fat but you will retain muscle mass better.
    test
  3. GaLaTeA

GaLaTeA GymArt

^^Ty very much.
    test
  4. DethStryque

DethStryque DethStryque theInvincible

There is also a staggered approach to this method which requires circuits and neatly combines the best of the strength,cardio,flexibility,balance,breath control,and recovery worlds...which is the approach that I use most commonly.I rarely go to the weight room...haven't been there in 7 years,only just started going back...but the principles in this routine works marvels for my clients:

Do a complex lifting routine sandwiched by athletic conditioning,not just merely cardio,and crack off a 90-120 second stretching,breathing and balance sequence in between sets for your active rest.

EXAMPLE:

1 minute jump rope or jumping jack to up your heart rate; if it's a jumprope? Try to get to 120-180 jumps per minute. If it's jumping jacks? 90-120 jumping jacks per minute. Go immediately without rest to:

Bench Press (Barbells or Dumb bells) for one set of up to 12 reps in 20 seconds or less. Go immediately without rest to:

20 seconds of plyometric depth-drop pushups max number of reps,never less than 8

Go immediately to 20 seconds of Rows,Barbell,Dumb bell,or Machine. Max number of reps,never less than 10 reps.

1 minute jump rope as above

90-120 seconds Backbend Wall Walk+Yoga Dancer's Pose+Yoga Table Pose+Yoga Sun Salutation,focus on breathing and perfect form during this active rest period.

Repeat all of the above for up to 5 sets
    test
  5. SinLuciano

SinLuciano El Capitan

I've always heard AFTER. And I've heard cardio AFTER weights can speed up muscle development.
    test
  6. kennethagnes

kennethagnes New Member

cardio uses alll ur glycogen so do it after at the right heart range or do very light cardio before legs for the goood of ur heart
    test
  7. DethStryque

DethStryque DethStryque theInvincible

This is true...but only if your focus is hypertrophy for recreational purposes.If you're training athletically? This isn't always the best approach.

This is ALSO true,but depends upon the intensity of your cardio training and whether or not you supplement DURING training.I cycle all of the dominant athletic approaches in order to propagate constant evolution and improvement,feel me?
    test
  8. LegitLux

LegitLux New Member

test
  9. mikepeazy

mikepeazy Member

afdsafdasfdasf
    test
  10. Froggie Fresh

Froggie Fresh THe Elite of Times!

Cardio before and after a workout is for people looking to lose weight..

the body must go through calories and carbs before it starts burning fat

doing cardio before uses up the calories
    resistance training burns through the carbs
    and after all the carbs are depleted the body taps into it's fat reserves for energy, therefore cardio before and after a workout is for people looking to shed fat.

this wouldn't be a smart decision for a lean muscular person looking to bulk up or maintain...I do a brisk power walk on an inclined treadmill for about 10 minutes before my leg workouts because I want to open up the vessels in my legs so they can absorb nutrients and get petter pumps.
    test
  11. Alias3000

Alias3000 Well-Known Member

cardio always before my lifting.

jumping jacks and high knee lifts mostly.
    test
  12. zyclon B gas

zyclon B gas sososerious

cardio always after lifting. rule is, cardio will affect lifting, but lifting won't affect cardio.
    test
  13. GaLaTeA

GaLaTeA GymArt

Good to know. (=
    test
  14. kingorap

kingorap New Member

test
  15. Murder Ink

Murder Ink Jigsaw

Precisely. I noticed a huge difference once I started doing cardio after lifting weights..you have a ton more energy while lifting, and your metabolism goes into overdrive. lol
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.