Canibus - Started From The Bottom

Discussion in 'Hip-Hop Central' started by 8UnknownRapper8, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Diasick

Diasick this guy

yea and you guys think canibus is top 10.

- dead
    test
  2. Dear Diary

Dear Diary Well-Known Member

ah, i think we're gettin closer to the problem now. when you say they never "done shit in hiphop", i suppose that means they don't sell much/don't get a lot of attention from the mainstream?

i mean, that's true, maybe not so much for Nas but definitely for Canibus (i don't buy that you don't know anyone that knows who Nas is btw, and if you really don't that's kinda sad. i live in Austria and most people that don't even listen to HipHop know who Nas is). but does that mean their music isn't good? does it mean their influence on other rappers and the culture of HipHop as a whole is non-existent, or even just necessarily lower than that of higher selling artists?

what do you think, how many rappers has Soulja Boy influenced? Rick Ross? now how many rappers out there are influenced by Nas? Canibus? Redman?
    test
  3. Diasick

Diasick this guy

canibus never done shit in underground hip hop in that light, especially when you take a look at artist like tech n9ne, I don't see how you can say canibus has done more than nas, wtf?

I do know more canibus fans IRL than nas fans, but they don't really know who he is tbh, they probably just like his name rofl.

im from the south and people down here are more into that commercial shit.
    test
  4. Vulgar

Vulgar 80s baby

Quote where I ever said anything like that about Canibus. Unless I was talkimg about his prime and I'll send you a stack.

Cigar Life on Tapatalk 2
    test
  5. Diasick

Diasick this guy

the fuck are you?
    test
  6. Twamp

Twamp proper weaponry

i never said Canibus was top 10. who said Canibus was top 10?
    test
  7. Vulgar

Vulgar 80s baby

Yea thought so. Im nobody though.

Cigar Life on Tapatalk 2
    test
  8. Dear Diary

nobody said Canibus was top 10. personally, i wasn't even really talking about Canibus much at all.
    test
  9. antilluminati

antilluminati Well-Known Member

This much can be said tho, Canibus was like an old soupcan behind a jar of pickles dusting away in a cupboard before the Dizaster battle. Now that we've taken it out to have a look we see it's out of date, tho some will say it'll still be good to eat and that tincans'll last forever.
    test
  10. NightmareEx

NightmareEx The Beast

Because every bridge he burned, he did so happily whist drinking the "metaphorical oracle" koolaid he had made for himself. Rapping about the intergalactic special olympics on mt. Olympus made this dude think he could pick fights with some of the most influential and potent figures in the game...for YEARS.

I want to rep that because I'm more than okay with celebrating karma kicking arrogant niggas right in their asshole. The only reason he has humility today, is because he has no goddamn choice.

I used to love Canibus, but if I had the chance...I'd do something very similar to what Dizaster did to him.
    test
  11. Twamp

Twamp proper weaponry

nah, not really.
    test
  12. NinjaMic

NinjaMic Brian Disease

Not logical. One of your favorite rappers is someone who displays arrogance by insisting upon trying to rap in spite of their relative inability to. So why show disproportionate disdain for one who has the ability to rap and only overstated this ability in verse as braggart rappers are supposed to?

You're the audience in a gladiatorial arena that mindlessly cheers for the blood of champions, yet simultaneously cherishes peaceful displays of brotherly love like "Made Nas Proud" in a completely hypocritical and contradictory mindstate.

Also, you know what you're saying isn't substantiated by what actually happened. Canibus didn't pick a fight with LL, he defended himself. He didn't pick a fight with Eminem, he responded to provocation. He didn't request a KOTD battle, he went to one. Almost every single person he's spoken on, spoke on him. You know this. Everyone either knows this and doesn't want to, or just doesn't know and goes with the flow.

You're distorting history to suit you're narrative because you want him to be the bad guy that deserves what he gets. You want to be right for conforming to an angry mob that makes it easier to promote your "90's are dead" modus. The thread I posted yesterday should help you understand how misguided this is.

If you had the chance to battle Canibus like Dizaster did, the most you could do is what Dizaster did... say the same old shit in a new way, and repeat what you saw on a Beef DVD, spit in the face of someone who shaped, molded and contributed to your skillset and ambition. "If you diss me, you diss yourself."

"here, tell these people something they don't know about me" - Eminem
    test
  13. NightmareEx

NightmareEx The Beast

And here I thought you were trying to take your semi coherent pseudo intellectualism in a thoughtful direction. You got me, my mistake.

Successful troll is successful. Congratulations? You may return to being a condescending hypocrite.
    test
  14. antilluminati

Well, except the odd banter and beef..
    test
  15. Dear Diary

despite of what we think of him as an artist (i think he's made a number of classics and has had a huge influence on many very popular and skilled MCs), i don't think it can be debated that Canibus has made a number of really stupid career decisions and continues to do so. it's unfortunate, but it is what it is. i say this with all due respect, but i do suspect the guy might have a slight personality disorder, autism or something, which would not only describe his social awkwardness and the resulting burning of bridges, but on the other hand could also be part of why he is - or at the very least was - so damn good at what he's doing.
    test
  16. NinjaMic

NinjaMic Brian Disease

I'm square with that, believe me. He's an idiot savant. Dude's as much a successful an artist as a 3 time felon is a productive member of society with a 9 to 5 office job.

Canibus makes plenty of garbage ass tracks, and 75% of the material out there (like hundreds and hundreds of tracks) isn't even engineered properly... but man, there's still diamonds under all that dirt, and when that boy is on-point and gets it just right, it's a special blend of herb.

I'm a fan, he's still one of my favorite rappers, and I don't see any need for atonement. If I wanted to hate him, or didn't like him in the first place, I'd have all the reasons I need... but I'm not that way inclined.
    test
  17. antilluminati

I just find him to have an extensive vocabulary from most likely all the reading material he's clearly referencing to. I dunno, it's probably because I'm older too and find some of it a bit cheap, even tho he does indeed have a lot of good references too. He knits them together well.
    test
  18. Freebass

Freebass NAH NUDDAH

good ass thread.....no doubt he had a amazing effect on the 95-98ish super simile rappers.....he is a gifted word worker, and this is a person till after his 1st couple albums I'd say sales are not an indicator of his success in a business based off of being successful......Please don't act like his business failures were anything but his fault.....He thought he was going to be so so so big, and painted himself platinum at an award show, which alone made me think dude is on some mental deprived status.....

The LL shit is LL saying he asked him if he could get the mic tat and LL said something like earn it.....but LL gave him that shot to be on the song anyways, and he is a legend......I would not diss a legend on his own song even if I felt like he did something to start it......the em shit was just an embarrassment.....we don't know what happened behind the scenes with them, but em got pissed and made a comment that maybe warranted a response, but that c true Hollywood story stan track was a fucking disgrace, plus it was years later and it provoked a dude you shouldn't......

Ninja, bis put himself in a bad position, he pissed off LL EM Wyclef, and he lost many chances due to his arrogance and choices fulled by it.......The kotd battle was something he had known about for a while and didn't show up there at random with 30 pages of rhymes written.....but forget that, he always claimed I'll battle you in the flesh Ill battle you, I'm a battle rapper......he seemed to not be able to battle with an audience or he just didn't practice.....he got loot and skipped out on the work he was paid for.....then he apologized.....Diz bars were not like b rabbit vs poppa doc or saying the only shit that can be said, bis has so much talent that he squandered by being a child level autistic seeming minded dude, when business decisions are involved......

bottom Line, dude lost me after his 2nd album and the scientific shit he went on to rapping about, along with the c true HW stories shit.......People defend his wrong doings in business like he had any reason to burn bridges........He was on his way, he was a great voice when he started or when I first heard him......(I did see em on sway & tech earlier than I heard bis, but maybe that was timing, but it was like 95 I think, when juice was there and them dudes.......He could have been something big, not a cult following and a business joke
    test
  19. NightmareEx

NightmareEx The Beast

This is still one of the best songs I've heard in my life. I can't pinpoint the exact time where he lost this level of lyrical mastery...but, at some point he did. And he's never gotten it back.
    test
  20. Mel Man

Mel Man Wat ya'll bout to witness

you dumb as fuck

1 person who knows nas?

where you live but fuck nowhere lmao??
    test