Can you demonstrate your understanding of evolution?

Discussion in 'The Sanctuary' started by AliceHouse, Aug 26, 2013.

1. AliceHouse

AliceHouse The House Always Wins

It was pointed out a while back something interesting. Those who accept evolution, are those who understand evolution. Those who reject evolution, are those who do not understand evolution.

There are people on this site here who reject evolution. It stands to reason if the prior statement to be true, that they don't understand evolution.

So let's see if it can't be shown false. All rigt, those of you who reject evolution. (TBP comes to mind, and others.) Show me you have what it takes to reject it in the first place, by demonstrating that you understand it.

I expect this to be the most critical defining thread in the history of the Sanctuary.
    test
  2. TheBigPayback

TheBigPayback God Particle

Shouldnt you be kickstarting this thread by demonstrating your own "understanding of evolution"
    What exactly are you refering to in regaurds to demonstration.

its stands to reason NO ONE has a complete understanding of evolution since is not a complete theory.

and if evolutionary biologists cant entirely demonstrate a complete understanding of it. how can we expect u to.
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  3. AliceHouse

AliceHouse The House Always Wins

Demonstrate as in explain how you understand evolution. You can't debate something you don't understand any more than a warrior expects to win against a fighter whose style is a mystery.

No one truly has a full understanding of gravity either. Yet the only people who deny it are those who sardonicly make claims of "Intelligent Falling."

And remember, when the word "theory" is used in "theory of evolution" it doesn't mean what you think it means.

test
  4. FeedMeMore

FeedMeMore Moderator

That is false and ridiculous. It's more like those who accept evolution accept what they are told by the general science consensus and those who don't accept evolution have some external reason that they give more authority too. It speaks nothing about who understands evolution and who doesn't understand evolution That base has not been proven or shown anywhere.

If we are going to do it than let's prove those who accept evolution understand evolution aswell. Your whole premise is false.
    test
  5. FeedMeMore

FeedMeMore Moderator

You still haven't shown that you have an understanding of evolution
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  6. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

I understand the shit out of evolution

my knowledge on it is so vast that i cant begin to explain, it would be easier if i explained what i didnt know about it.

like magnets... shit who even understands magnets?
    • +Rep +Rep x 2
    test
  7. reggie jax

reggie jax Well-Known Member

it's ridiculous to reject the scientific consensus on the basis that you'd rather believe something else.
    test
  8. FeedMeMore

FeedMeMore Moderator

No it's not. It's simply saying the scientific consensus is not my ultimate authority of truth. I dont accept everything that comes from consensus as I'm old enough to see that they have been wrong.

The general scientific consensus is not the be all end all of what is true.

That's why not every scientist agrees with the general consensus on things General consensus and what is fact is not the same thing
    test
  9. reggie jax

the fact is that you most likely accept the scientific consensus on the vast majority of topics without even thinking about it, just like everybody else. yet the second they say something you'd rather not believe, suddenly you're skeptical of their authority and point to the fact that scientists have been wrong in the past to vaguely justify brushing off its discoveries whenever it's convenient for you.
    test
  10. TheBigPayback

TheBigPayback God Particle

If 7 out of 10 doctors said you deffinately had cancer and 3 out of 10 said you deffinately did not. would u say fuk it and just start getting chemo?
    or would you want to know you deffinately had cancer before you underwent treatment for it.
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  11. reggie jax

if 99 out of 100 doctors said i had cancer i'd be inclined to believe the 99.
    test
  12. reggie jax

btw, how would you 'know you definitely had cancer'? you could only continue to seek new opinions, and maybe every new opinion would be that you have cancer, but you'd always have those 3 doctors who said you don't. at some point common sense dictates that when the vast majority of professionals in a field all agree about something concerning that field, it's for a reason.
    test
  13. Geedorah

Geedorah King

I would never go to chemo.
    • -Rep -Rep x 1
    test
  14. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

im asking cuz i dont know, whats the alternative? death?
    test
  15. Geedorah

Geedorah King

There are many things, natural ones, obviously you need to find something that is right for you because we are all different, there are reports on hemp oil curing cancer.
    • -Rep -Rep x 1
    test
  16. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

how effective are the other things? Ive also heard reports on THC and cancer, but from what ive read its never been proven to actually cure cancer in humans . I too would rather anything but chemo if i had cancer, but if the other options dont actually work, id probably go with chemo, i dont want to die... Im not very knowledgable on the subject, thats why im asking. Chemo is shitty, i have relatives and friends whove died from cancer. Chemo looked like torture.
    test
  17. reggie jax

yea, good luck with that.
    test
  18. Geedorah

Geedorah King

Chemo doesnt work all the time either.

Id rather die like a fool than like a tortured man.
    • -Rep -Rep x 1
    test
  19. reggie jax

if it's terminal cancer and you'd rather not suffer through the chemo, then fair enough. if it's possible that you might survive with chemo/radiation and you opt for hemp oil instead, then you're suicidal.
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  20. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

i couldnt actually say until i was faced with that dilemma. SO who knows

i would only try something if it had actually been proven to work though.
    test