Can someone give me some pointers on writing poems?

Discussion in 'Writer's Block' started by Prowless, May 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prowless

Prowless New Member

I'm tryin to hone my poetry skills but they suck..
    test
  2. Xero Satsujin

Xero Satsujin OnLy gOd kNoWs oR Goes

what do you mean they suck?

poetry is the emotion turned into written word perfected. It's remembering that it doesnt have to rhyme to be respected. Poetry is you, poetry is me, most of all, all things are poetry. Just gotta find ya groove, that's all...
    test
  3. First of all you have to stop thinking you suck, and what other people think of you and your writing. Imagine a person who bottles everything up and would never reveal their deepest feelings, poetry is kinda like the opposite of that, like someone who is proud of all of their feelings and decides to create to satisfy them..Now, If you want help with poetry I would suggest reading peoples poetry and to sit down and write about anything, like, HOW ARE YOU FEELING RIGHT NOW? well, it could be that you feel nothing, that nothing is still something..so nothing..and then write about what could make you feel like nothing..are U numb? frightened? blocking people out..cold, vacant, tired? where are you? whats the room like, hows the light? is the carpet worn, how worn is it.. how can you decribe the shadows in the room? do they overlap the light? collide? blanket? Engulf? suffocate? whats out of the window? stars, what do they remind you of? diamonds? water droplets? whats it like to find a diamond? what can you compare a diamond to? A woman, your first love? How did you feel then? what went through your mind? Now think back to your childhood, and you will find a treasure chest of feelings and memories to draw upon and write about...

Let yourself go, poetry can take you anywhere...

Goodnight
    test
  4. Prowless

Prowless New Member

thanks, i'll try puttin up a poem somewhere in the near future so i can get some opinions but i got class on monday tuesday an wednesday so i cant until after that
    test
  5. Prowless

Prowless New Member

i'm feeling frustrated right now
    test
  6. test
  7. Xero Satsujin

what Brit was pointing out was to be observant, and to learn to watch and take the world in, 1-1000000000 details at a time, but watch it and see what it leads to. All things are connected, so note that and link it to your frustration...
    test
  8. Xero Satsujin

Ohh yeah, contrary to popular belief, the brain is much powerful than any computer could ever hope to be. The leading processer on the market, the Pentium 4 has about 20 million transistors. Yeah, seems like a lot, but, the human brain has more synaptics(same as transistors) than there are stars in the known universe. Besides that, the main reason is that a computer cannot reason, it is based on a grid and program from which it cannot deviate from. Intel has been making processers for about 20 years, while nature has been making brains for Eons...Just thought I'd give you a little input to help you feel comfortable with your writing ability, because there's not too much you can't do if you put your mind to it...
    test
  9. I dunno man, I have a pretty fast pentium 77mhz..lol
    test
  10. Xero Satsujin

^^lol, damn homie, lol...
    test
  11. /Slash/

/Slash/ New Member

Yo write about something gay everyone pays attention when u do that
    be saying gay with rosey corpses shit
    feel n!gguh?
    test
  12. MISSKEYdaQUEEN

MISSKEYdaQUEEN Watch the black panther..

test
  13. Surreal The A.D. Prophet

Surreal The A.D. Prophet Wondrous Poetic

write, take some time away from the piece, and then look at what you wrote and trying to figure out what you liked and what you didnt like.

usually when you think a poem sucks, there are maybe 2 lines you really like. so look at those two lines. eventually less of the poem is dissatisfying.

getting feedback from people involving how they reacted to the piece and what they felt didnt work is perhaps the second best way to hone craft. the main thing to remember though, is that it's best to evaluate what is said. if someone says that a piece of the poemshould be cut, and you disagree, figure out why you disagree. knowing why you have what you have on the page is the most important aspect of honing craft.
    test
  14. MisterEThoughts

MisterEThoughts MysteryOfUntoldTruth

Just write and keep writing practice thats all and read peoples poetry thats all i also suggest reading some classics thats the best way to start.....
    test
  15. the Guy with a Pen

the Guy with a Pen a Svan Production

write, write, write,
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.