Can people stop using thw word science not knowing what it is

Discussion in 'The Sanctuary' started by Mrjdm998, Jul 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jay Bee

Jay Bee Boricua

u want something to discredit walking on water, turning water into wine, bringing people back from the dead, etc?....how about common sense?
    test
  2. Mrjdm998

Mrjdm998 New Member

Burden of proof is on people making fucking idiotic claims. The source you gave is an obviously baised source towards the religious argument, and doesn't show any proof of anything.
    test
  3. lyricalpriest

lyricalpriest Rap Games Dawson Creek

“religious behaviors and beliefs exert a moderate deterrent effect on individuals’ criminal behavior”.- researched info..

Moral codes are often complex statements of right and wrong. Although some people might think that the moral code is simple, rarely is there anything simple about one's morals or ethics or or for that matter judgment of others' morals. The difficulty lies in the fact that morals are often part of a religion and more often than not about culture codes.

IMHO.. i feel that those who disregard religious morals and standards struggle more-so thru out life then those who clinge to religious concept's and live by the rules set out before them denying emotion's at time and also forcing certain emotional characteristic's into their own nature building a system of strength thru "god" or their own will.

science can only tell us what morals stand true and which ones aren't .. but it can not tell us as to why or how one can apply this into ones life

so this is why i say that science doesn't necessarily encourage any set code of ethic other then .. impulse.
    test
  4. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

people who disregard morals struggle more? yeah. There's religious people who disregard morals aswell as non religious people so whats the point youre making?

But the fact is morals dont come from religion. Religion just teaches good morals. You dont need religion to learn morals. Fact.

yes religion helps spread morals into people who dont have good morals, but its just an avenue to learn them. You can still learn them from other avenues. The proof is in the world today all around you and in history. Millions upon millions of people that arent religious have good morals.

and then if you wanna get right down and dirty, priests who molest children obviously didnt learn good morals through religion.
    test
  5. JASON ANTHONY

JASON ANTHONY White Devil

I hate it when 3 paragraph comments start getting dropped.

It ruins the thread imo… and not because it’s too much to read, but because half of you can’t type a single sentence that makes sense.

Praise be to science.
    test
  6. snowy

snowy 39k Rap Song Music Folder

The question is, would you rather go through life easily living a lie that contradicts all the things that make us human, basically our intelligence and reason and ability to think for ourselves? Or a life which bases itself on the truths we find through our intelligence?

Science doesnt really speak on morals. The act of killing someone isnt inherently evil as we have no understanding of the circumstances. Science teaches us to investigate to better learn what happened. But rarely will it assert its will upon the people where no evidence is there to support it. And when it does it usually falls through. Which is not a problem cause unlike Religion, Science never claims to be infallible. At every turn Science is there calling out "Test me Test Me".

And it may be more of a struggle. But life should be a struggle. You can use science to better understand the world and lessen the struggle. Or you can hammer yourself on the head with the Bible and hope to forget your living at all. Just "force certain emotional characteristics" and act like you are content with living a lie.
    test
  7. lyricalpriest

u raise a good point.. but i wouldn't say imposing those codes of the bible hard nor anything as bad as it is all said to seem. saving sex for marriage something i haven't done is probably a GOOD thing to do and would save u a lot of head ache. marriages staying together pray together would be better for society in a whole if children were raised in their natural house hold.. loving ur neighbor as u love ur self if u hold it to a test time and time again would u find that it's saying hold truth.. i know for a fact the morals and codes in the bible are implemented for OUR OWN benefit not to restrict us from any joy but to prevent us from feeeling misery of teenage heartache teenage pregnancy children dis-obeying their parents and not following the laws of the land. that would be following ur own desires..

science tell's us that our desires are natural and urge us to act upon them

religion teaches us that desires like emotion's aren't materialistic idea's rather powers and principalities unseen but felt as if they were tangible and yet they aren't. and give's us the proper mentality and weapon's to defeat life's temptation's. that seem oh so natural and innocent.
    test
  8. TheBigPayback

TheBigPayback God Particle

The bibke isnt the only historical book that speaks of palistine giants like goliath if thats what ir trying to say. This however is just a excavation. Proof is his city existed just like it is said. Wether they find anything is still to tell
    test
  9. snowy

But they werent first created when the Bible was written. Most if not all existed as common sense long before the Bible existed. And HAHA at talking Teenage Pregnancy. The time of the Bible you were an old Spinster if you werent a mother by 14.
    No. No where does science urge us to act upon our instincts. It may tell us that those instincts helped keep our species alive for our entire history so dont ignore them completely. But nowhere does it say to rely solely on its input. That would defeat the whole purpose of Science in the first place. If anything Science urges us to THINK and if we THINK we can accomplish it to act.

I'm just saying. Since 99% of people without Religion still have the same control over their emotions doesnt it stand to reason that Religion in fact imparts practically nothing significant in preparation for life's trials. That every good intention and though existed before we even started to read. Thats natural, thats innocent. The love and care of your parents will infinitely supersede the indoctrination of your Religion.

If anything Religion teaches us we are Gods creatures, created in his image, and so we are divine and therefore our actions are divine. And murder by a God or a follower of God in the name of a God wouldn't be allowed if God did not want it to happen. If I was truly a believer in God, I think I would find it 10x more easy to convince myself that Im doing God's work.
    test
  10. lyricalpriest

first of all everyone condescends religion on the same general basis

bible thumper say's "sex is sacred and should be saved for one partner"

Atheist or SCIENTIST say's "b/c sex reproduces and gives life there for it is great and shouldn't be put at a limit.

but let's be honest anything can be good in small doses . but that doesn't mean it cant be dangerous in larger doses ei: promiscuity in teen's lead to teenage pregnancy something the has given a substantially negative impact on society.

i can only give general comparison's b/c i can't talk for u personally. but most people say they hate religion for the fact it limits ones impulses and desires into a safe compound of righteousness.

"Just b/c 99% of non-religious people still have the same control over their emotions" where the hell did u get these numbers? is everyone here non-religious the 1% that doesn't lead productive promising lives?
    test
  11. snowy

Im comparing the moral control of a religious person to a non-religious person. Im saying Religion has no more effect on a persons moral compass than someone who isnt religious.

Almost. Science says sexual intercourse produces life. Thats basically it. The Great part is all Humanity. We like orgasms, it feels Great. Its why we've used Science for things like birth control. To find ways to fuck more that didnt lead to a 9 month rest period.

I wasnt being Pro Teen Pregnancy. Im saying dont go to the Bible for your birth control issues.

Of course 99% is a Hyberbole and its of course an assumption. But its an assumption based on more fact than any Religion. Its based on the fact, that has been said multiple times, good or evil, religious or atheist, people are fucking crazy or just as randomly actually nice.. But shit its basically the same usage as "most people" which you used freely in the previous sentence.
    test
  12. lyricalpriest

has any one watched "the book of Eli"??

that proves right there the reason why RELIGION is the most important tool known to the history of mankind in cultivating society.

mmjustsayin
    test
  13. JASON ANTHONY

JASON ANTHONY White Devil

A fictional movie is not proof.
    test
  14. TheBigPayback

Hes just saying its an important part of life. All throughout hisstory an will be well into the future
    test
  15. x calibur

x calibur

Science is not meant to be a religion, but it can be. I call it "science-ism" - the belief that if a scientist says it, it must be true. If it's the conclusion of science, then you must believe it without any doubt. This of course runs completely contrary to the scientific method and to science itself. The key to science is not the conclusions and facts it presents (although this is important) it's the rational process and critical thinking behind it.

I'm pretty sure I made a spec thread about this awhile back.
    test
  16. TheBigPayback

I agree. Anyways science lately has been proving more stuff in the bible i cant think of one thing its ever DISproven so ya.
    test
  17. Mrjdm998

Mrjdm998 New Member

Genesis and the age of the earth in the bible, both disproven.
    test
  18. snowy

For me the reason Denzel didnt want it to fall into the wrong hands is cause he assumed like in the past that men in power would use religion as a mind control tool. It doesnt cultivate society. It cultivates the slavery mindset. Your entire existence becomes the direct product of an imaginary being and you then NEED the priests guidance to commune with it.
    test
  19. Jay Bee

Jay Bee Boricua

1. age of earth
    2. genesis
    3. human creation
    4. bats are birds
    5. the earth rest on pillars
    6. if u believe in jesus, u can survive poisenous snake bites.
    7. the earth wasn't created in 6 days
    8. the order in which the bible says the earth was created

i can list every page pretty much
    test
  20. reggie_jax

reggie_jax rapper noyd

bolded part is correct. the rest is bullshit. that's your inner impluse that is urging you to act upon them, not science.

few problems with this.

first off, there are common sense reasons not to engage in unlimited promiscuity, as you said. that being the case, i don't know why it is the "atheist" conclusion that we should fuck without any limit or regard to our health just because sex is natural. that's like saying that food is natural so we should overeat to the point of obesity. that certainly isn't my position. i'm guessing that you just needed a straw man to wrestle with, so i forgive you for distorting my position. just as christ tells us to.

second, i think it's relevant to point out at this point that religion does not always succeed in imposing its severe restraint on its followers. one great example is the teen pregnancy issue you brought up, which ironically enough is more of a problem in states that teach abstinence over safe sex practices.
    http://thehill.com/blogs/healthwatc...-regional-disparities-in-teen-pregnancy-rates

i would just like to clarify that my position is also not that we should tell people as long as you have a condom go ahead and fuck as many people as you like cause it's totally safe. safe sex practices should include common sense skills in decision making that help you determine in which circumstances you find sex to be acceptable. if it's marriage for you, then that's fine. i think there are plenty of people who could choose to take a more moderate position without it ending in them contracting VD or knocking up some broad they met at a house party.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.