Cables for monitors

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by New B, Feb 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. New B

New B Greatest Asian rapper?

I ordered the M-Audio Studiophile BX5a studio monitors but I didn't get them yet. I need to get cables for them though. I'm hooking the monitors up to my mbox 2 mini and I'm looking at the Mogami cables and Canare cables but I want to know if it matters what type of cable I get?

I see a XLR and TRS jack on the back of the bx5a's i was wondering which one i should get (TRS or XLR)? also can I use any 1/4 TRS to XLRm or TRS to TRS cable or does it have to be specifically for studio monitors?

I'm looking into the Mogami cables right now and I see regular Mogami, a Mogami Neglex and a Mogami Neglex Quad cables. Is one better than the other or does it make no difference?
    test
  2. Mr. ROUSH

Mr. ROUSH WWW.SOUNDCLICK.COM/ROUSH

Ok.. you're safe going with Magami.. The truth of the matter is.. you can buy just about any XLR cable and out of the box they all sound basically the same with very little audible difference.. BUT.. durability is always an issue.. a month later... the generic cables you bought will probably start to degrade compared to quality cables.. stick with the middle price range within the Mogami cables.. you won't notice any audible difference unless you're in a deadly accurate, acoustically treated room with super high end monitors.. End of the day.. considering wear and tear over time.. your signal chain is only ever as good as the weakest link.. and that does include cables from a professional angle.. initially any cables will do the trick.. again, it's over time that the cheaper cables will be degraded and start to effect the quality of the sound..

There is also a matter of interference.. I recommend shielded cables in the event you have had any trouble with any rf interference or the likes..

TRS vs XLR -- Ok.. they are identical connections end of the day... as long as you get a solid contact on your connection they will sound identical.. BUT.. XLR is much more reliable and a much more solid connection in the long run compared to TRS.. so it's good advice to use XLR when you can.. always use xlr with condenser mics that require phantom power.. TRS can be an issue with phantom power.. TRS relies on contacts on 3 different places on the face of the connection.. XLR has separate connections for each of the three contact points with a much tighter fit ensuring contact.. get a loose TRS jack and you'll have all kinds of problems..

Hope this is helpful.. let me know if you have other questions.. pz.
    test
  3. New B

New B Greatest Asian rapper?

thanks mr roush i appreciate it. i have the xlr to xlr cable taken care of for the mic. i think im gonna get the XLR to TRS mogami cable for my monitors. my only question is is there a difference between quad cables or standard ones? and which one is better if there is a difference.

i appreciate the advice
    test
  4. Mr. ROUSH

Mr. ROUSH WWW.SOUNDCLICK.COM/ROUSH

Right on.. as for the quad cable.. they're comparable to shielded cables, but they work by using four conductors instead of just increased cable shielding.. you only need the quad if you anticipate that you will get any rf interference or ac interference from other devices/cables etc.., but I believe now that all of their cables are quad.. if you can swing it.. I would get the quad and then you're covered either way, but like I say I think they're all quad.. could be wrong on that.. I'll look into it.
    test
  5. Webz_Creationz

Webz_Creationz Shutin' Shit Down

Don't skimp on cables. They are the cheapest thing that will affect your sound the most. I have all Mogami Gold cables for my monitors. XLR!
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.