By Any Means (4th beat)

Discussion in 'Audio Producers Discussions' started by k.s., Apr 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. k.s.

k.s. .

By Any Means by Typhy on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Finally got out of my slump and put together something I'm pretty satisfied with. Please critique it in any way you like, be honest. I really need to know what I need to improve on. Drums are all from Maschine. The whole beat is made and put together in the Maschine sequencer, so I didn't really 'master' it at all in another DAW, I just did some basic EQing with the kicks, claps, and snares. Whatcha think?
    test
  2. k.s.

k.s. .

No one?
    test
  3. K_City

K_City K-City da Hustla

Well, I personally would work on the drums and make them fit the vibe of the instrumentation. The drums are a little stiff, in my opinion but, for that to be your fourth beat it not bad at all.
    test
  4. F Major

F Major Anti Gear Lust

I think the beat sounds pretty good sonically. I would work on the drums a bit so that they take on your own character instead of sounding just like "drum machine" drum samples. The other thing I would suggest is developing the arrangment further. Pretty much after the first 32 Bars we have already heard most of what the track has to offer musically and the rest is looping/mutes. I would really start developing the habit now of playing more music on the beat, not in an over crowded way, but only to create more of a journey, and remove some of the predictability from the beat.

Quality 4/5
    Uniqueness 3/5
    Arrangement 3/5
    Overall 3.5/5

Keep it up fam.
    test
  5. k.s.

k.s. .

great advice bro. never thought of that. definitely will do so.

you also said to work on the drums to take on my own character so they dont sound like drum machine samples. not quite sure what you mean. is it because i completely quantize all my kicks and snares and hats? i always use about 5-10 percent swing on the overall track... and about 10-15 on just the hi hats individually. or do you mean to actually edit the kicks and snares so they sound diff? plz explain im trying to understand!
    test
  6. F Major

F Major Anti Gear Lust

What I meant by that is tweak the sound of the drums a bit more so they sound like your own version of the TR-808 and not so generic. Take more ownership over the drums and make the drums have a unique character to them so people can ask "Man where did he get those drums from?" That may require you to process them, layer them and edit them in unique ways to get a more custom tone.
    test
  7. Eternity

Eternity retired legend

Damn bro you're hitting beat slumps and you're only on your 4th beat? Lol you gotta fall back and just have some more fun with making beats if that is the case

Playing an instrument is a discipline, but making beats is an artform. I hate to hear you're going through slumps on your 4th beat because early in your beatmaking career is the time to not care and have the most fun you can have. its like when you are a kid discovering the world for the first time. enjoy it!

Onto the beat. I've had it playing in the background for a minute while I typed that. Which is a good sign, because if somethings wack I will cut it off immediately. So its not wack. I think you chose good sounds (except for the kick). You've got the snare and clap loud and up front in the mix, which is good. good use of transition elements (reverse cymbal). Good job alternating noises and changing things up. You're on the right track. You've got an idea of what you want to accomplish. The beat has a distinctive atmosphere to it. Keep it up and have fun with this man. Its going to take years to develop all the techniques and fully develop your talent. So enjoy the ride.
    test
  8. k.s.

k.s. .

thanks bro ^

the weird thing is.. when i'm putting all this together inside Maschine, the kick sounds so beast. but after i mix it down into one file.. the kick completely changes and sounds totally different. i'm at work right now but when i get home i'll tell you exactly which kick i used in this beat. it's from maschine and i know you have maschine so you can check for yourself. and hopefully you can tell me why it sounds the way it does after exporting the whole thing down into 1 file with maschine's software.

edit:
    nvm im relistening to it on my monitors now.
    the drum is still the same.. you're right it is a wack kick drum lmao
    test
  9. k.s.

k.s. .

nvm lol
    test
  10. Mighty GK

Mighty GK omg 2012

that kick is wack

other than that...FMajor's review is on point.

I like the mood of the beat but I would have liked to hear a rock guitar set it off for a breakdown lol

keep on rockin' boss
    test
  11. Momento

Momento New Member

Nice work here, and to see this is only your 4th beat and already have a serious piece of equipment to work with, sick. I don't have much advice to pass on being as you officially produced more beats then me even tho this is your 4th , lol. But on the real was a fun listen, much potential I can see someone able to lace some lyrics on to there and with some of the modifications mentioned by the others would be a good sounding track.

Cheers
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.