Buying the right mic

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by krisp, Oct 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krisp

krisp aka PhsyKris

Ok, so im ready to nuckle down and but a legit mic, not 30dollar best buy one

I expect to spend something nice on it ... but i wanna make sure i get bang for my buck

but at the same time i do want to , as many of you want, get the best quality for the cheapest price

so what models do you guys know of are cheap and worth buying to acheive good quality?
    test
  2. d.dermz

d.dermz New Member

go to a store and test them out
    test
  3. Jones Jung

Jones Jung a.k.a. Oswayo

A good mic for cheap. I mean, it's true you get what you pay for, but honestly, I've only ever bought MXL mics. Like right now I have an MXL 990 (I think, lol), and they're fairly cheap, like, less than $200. And honestly, I've been extremely pleased with all of my MXL mics for the price I paid for them. If I ever get some decent spending money, I'd like to try a higher-end mic though, but fuck it, MXL is my shit.
    test
  4. Mr. ROUSH

Mr. ROUSH WWW.SOUNDCLICK.COM/ROUSH

This has to be the most asked question in home recording.. and there simply is not an easy answer.. Each voice is unique.. each mic is unique.. The mxl that works great for the guy above.. could possibly not sound good at all for your voice.. if you really want to truly get the best mic for your money then trying them out is truly the only way to be sure of that.. not everyone has that luxury of course and so the next logical step in the process would be to look at your budget and start doing some research... How much are you willing to spend?

First eliminate mics above your budget obviously.. of those remaining start googling.. look for artists with similar vocals that use the mics you're considering and are getting the sound you want..

don't think that you have to use a condensor.. while they are widely used and you will eventually want to have one.. dynamic mics are equally as popular in rap music.. There is one pretty universal mic that might be the only mic I feel comfortable to recommend to just about anyone.. that is the dynamic Shure SM7b.. A lot of rap records have been cut with that mic with a lot of different vocal sounds and styles.. Brand new it's about $350, and worth every penny as far as getting your money's worth.

otherwise don't let anybody.. (me included) tell you that there is any one mic for you based on how it sounds for them.. if you can try them out.. do.. if you live close to nashville you can get studio time for this purpose for very cheap. Best of luck.
    test
  5. Mike Nef

Mike Nef New Member

Best way to do it is.....Take the artist your recording to Guitar Center, Sam Ash, or wherever you go & have them set up Mics and test the artists voice...Or rent a bunch of Mics and try them with your vocalist before purchasing that mic

each mic is going to sound different for each individuals voice

for example there are mics that sounds better on people with lower vocies them people with higher voices & vice versa

Pretty much a trial and error type of thing
    test
  6. CharroN

CharroN Well-Known Member

If your looking for your bang for your buck then MXL is your answer. Very reasonable prices, The quality difference is very minor then a mic you`d pay 1000 extra for.
    test
  7. BigT905

BigT905 New Member

MXL is garbage

just spend 100 dollars on a SAMSON COU1 or 150 for an AT2020... << this mic is amazing for its price..
    test
  8. The HookHook Up

The HookHook Up Hottest Hooks and Beats

Like Big T said it, AT2020 for that price or AT3035 for like 75 dollars more.... i swear by the AT3035

(AT=Audiotechnica)
    test
  9. UrbanBeatz

UrbanBeatz New Member

Shures and MXL are 2 of the best in my opinion.
    test
  10. Star Eater

Star Eater New Member

test and buy
    test
  11. Star Eater

Star Eater New Member

good advice in here
    test
  12. Macky2003

Macky2003 Pro Audio Engineer

Yeah i recorded El Da Sensai vocals with AT3035...
    test
  13. Drschmalzy

Drschmalzy Active Member

I highly recommend the audio technica 3035- bought that shit for like $130 brand new cheap as hell...
    but on the real you should go to a store like B and H and test out the mics that are in your price range to see if your voice sits right...

The problem is you could have a $3000 mic and ur quality still suck cuz you dont know how to mix ur vocals correctly.... also need a quality preamp if you have a quality mic to get a quality sound... theres no simple way of gettin good quality all takes practice and learning my dude... I used to be in ur position until i went to audio school...
    test
  14. FlameSpitta

FlameSpitta New Member

cosign
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.