Bully Rockstar New game controversory, already (not released yet)

Discussion in 'Game Zone' started by masterragu, Aug 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. masterragu

masterragu Sweep The Leg, Johnny!

Bully draws protesters to Rockstar's front doors

Washington, D.C.-based group marches on developer's Manhattan headquarters to protest marketing of violent games to children.

Although the Hot Coffee isn't quite as piping hot as it has been of late, the fallout over the hidden sex minigames in Rockstar Games' Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas is still simmering. Always a lightning rod for controversy, Rockstar might be growing weary of all the free publicity it has been getting, as games it hasn't even released yet are now becoming the target of public outcries.

Yesterday, members of the Washington, D.C.-based youth group Peaceoholics protested outside Rockstar Games' New York offices, carrying signs that read "Put the cuffs on Rockstar, not youth" and "Prosecute Rockstar Games; they are felons" and chanting "Hey hey, ho ho, Rockstar Games has got to go."

Though the Peaceoholics have accused Rockstar of marketing violent games for children in the past, Tuesday's event was specifically directed at convincing the developer to shelve the upcoming Bully, which Rockstar describes as a game where players take the role of a "troublesome schoolboy" who "stands up to bullies, gets picked on by teachers, plays pranks on malicious kids, wins or loses the girl, and ultimately learns to navigate the obstacles of the fictitious reform school."

Although the game is not yet rated (an M for Mature tag seems a certainty) and Rockstar has revealed next to nothing about the actual gameplay, Bully has already made some waves. Given the developer's history with controversial titles and the lasting taboo of violence in a school setting ever since the Columbine High School shootings, it's a safe bet this won't be the last bit of protest directed Rockstar's way over its latest offering.

Attempts to reach Rockstar Games and Peaceoholics for comment Wednesday afternoon were not successful.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    test
  2. Cornrow Wallace

Cornrow Wallace New Member

That might be incredible! [funny]
    test
  3. ChaseNCashe

ChaseNCashe If it aint Polo, Keep It!

This game looks gangsta.

I hope you can be the black dude.
    test
  4. ANSANE

ANSANE New Member

haha that game looks amazing!
    test
  5. Flint Marko

Flint Marko New Member

The main character looks like an ex-con heh.
    test
  6. Tha Cunnysmythe

Tha Cunnysmythe Unsavoury Negroid

Looks cool.

When did Rockstar market to children? These people are fucking idiots!
    test
  7. Nitsuj™

Nitsuj™ We Are The Resistance

game looks rediculous... but i'll probably check it out
    test
  8. TwiztidHarmony

TwiztidHarmony New Member

i'm so going 2 go buy this.......gimme tha dodgeball
    test
  9. Hardkore

Hardkore Blunts@TheBeach

i mean, mature-rated video games are like rated r movies: they are meant for adults, but kids are still gonna see 'em no matter how hard you try.
    test
  10. *NativeTongue*

*NativeTongue* New Member

my boy told me about this a few days ago and i told him he was a fuckin liar
    then he insisted he saw it on tv (he DOES have a tedency to believe whatever he hears) and i thought it was one of those joke games that magazines and g4 puts out

damn i guess he was serious
    test
  11. Tha Cunnysmythe

Tha Cunnysmythe Unsavoury Negroid

^Search the lipstick gallery for 'Hot Coffee'. You'll find it. It was a mini-game with progress bars for excitement and shit. She was badly drawn, though.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.