build home studio-Budget 1500-2K

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by LeNgEnD, Nov 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeNgEnD

LeNgEnD New Member

For 1500-2000 dollars what is the easiest and most effective home studio I can build. Like what Mic, digital board and software will I need to buy? For excellent quality music?!
    test
  2. Mr. ROUSH

Mr. ROUSH WWW.SOUNDCLICK.COM/ROUSH

1500-2000 isn't going to get you.. "excellent quality".. You need to do some researching first as your question is way too broad for anyone to really anwer.. I could suggest a setup for that price range but I can't know if it will sound good for you or not.. you need to give more info.. what kind of music will you be recording? What kind of voice do you have? What will your recording environment be like as far as the sound in the room you'll be recording in? Without knowing all of that.. I can't be much help.. but like many.. for that budget.. you're probably looking at an mbox with pro tools.. a mic in the $200-$300 range.. and a pre-amp.. But I don't even know if you have a computer at this point, or an audio interface.. if you don't have at least a computer already.. then you don't really have enough to build a setup with that budget. Get me more details and I'll try to be more helpful. Best of luck.
    test
  3. LeNgEnD

LeNgEnD New Member

well I record in a studio now and its great quality and I have heard the engineer mention Digital Boards and shit and be like its 2 grand but thats all you need!

I have a computer and a Shure Sm58 mic but thats all...and I will want to buy a new mic anyway...i can even go a little higher...maybe even up to 3 grand but exactly what will I need to make this simple. Like is there a digital board I can buy and a good mic?
    test
  4. BigT905

BigT905 New Member

i dont think you are going to have enough money

for

Mic/ stand /pop filter/ wire
    pre amp
    audio editing software
    room treatment

i mean if you really want to get down to it

Pro tools is the industry standard... so you should invest money in it but if you are knew ... just get Adobe Audition 3 .. u can get that shit off the internet no problem

as for a mic

i would suggest the RODE NT1A or the AT 4040.... i currently use the m audio mobile pre usb... but you can get a better version...

and if you havent done so ... a little booth to record in will help u LOTSS..
    test
  5. Mike Nef

Mike Nef New Member

def not a big enough budget for everything you want
    test
  6. Macky2003

Macky2003 Pro Audio Engineer

For mic: Anything from Audio Tehnica is good. (AT4040)
    For preamp u need best u can find(cos thats most important link in ur recording chain). If u wanna have great quality i would suggest "brick"
    Groove Tubes The Brick Preamp / Direct Box
    Its ugly as hell but for that price ull not find better.

And interface... I don't know maybe digidesing mbox or even Digi003 rack

If ull record vocals u dont need whole room tratment.
    Just put (tape it or whatever) blanket on wall behind u (behind u not behind mic) and buy
    Welcome to sE Electronics reflection filter and ur ready to go...

Cables stand and stuff will cost u 200-300$ more and thats it.

U still have some money left. If ur ready to spend all 3k hit me up ill make u even better set up
    test
  7. iLoveEbay

iLoveEbay New Member

Sorry, don't mean to invade the thread, but I'm in a similar position, so this may help the OP or anyone else reading this post. I am brand new to recording and ave $7500 cash to spend. I'm going to buy a custom pc just for recording. Any advice on the rest of the equipment???
    test
  8. D-T

D-T New Member

A good computer for recording will cost you around 1-2k alone, if you want one that won't limit you when it comes to track count and plug in usage.

For a decent mic, look to spend about $300-400, and preamp/interface about $300-600
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.