Broke as fuck, have skills, but WANT to record?

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by AllOrNothinEnt, Mar 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AllOrNothinEnt

AllOrNothinEnt Retired from Rapmusic.com

Exactly, thus why this hobby is not only expensive, but most people even starting really drop that much, w/o realizing it.
    test
  2. Kaotic33

Kaotic33 Owns You

arcane, now i finally understand why your quality isnt as good as it should be it's prolly not as much mixing skills as it is with that crappy soundblaster you're using... definetly need an upgrade you're chain is only as good as your weakest signal so it defeats the purpose of dropping $800 on a mic and pre and using a 50 dollar soundcard lol

AON, most rappers on RM have a cheap mixer or preamp for no more than $100, a mic ranging from $100-300 and a soundcard ranging from $50-200... many don't even have monitors (i'm one of them lol) if you average it out, it comes out to about $400... dropping $800 on just a mic and pre is a bit too much (for RM standards --> who are "fucking around") but I understand that it's a weak start for a professional studio.
    test
  3. AllOrNothinEnt

You can't even call $800 a start for a pro studio.

Home studio's, the most I've seen that I would even fuck with if trying to put out a retail album, were about $20-30,000

Now the semi-pro public one's ran $75-300,000

So that's why I say $800 is practice lol
    test
  4. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

truth, but after coppin my mons (wharfedales, on order right now...might cancel cause its been like a month and they guy doesnt have em yet) and cop some NS10s for like $400 (canadian...hell of a deal) off a guy whos sellin some of his studio shit...

i need a soundcard upgrade though....if i had the cash i'd cop a digi 002 right now haha
    test
  5. AllOrNothinEnt

You realize a Digi OO2's quality doesnt match the 1820M, or even the 1212m, Right?
    test
  6. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

thing is, i will probably want pro tools because that way i wont have to book like a billion hours at the schools one studio for shit...i can just burn it to cd/dvd and bring it home and work on it, what im not sure of though is if theyre going to give us more work in logic pro than pro tools...in which case getting PT @ home wouldnt be useful to me really

i'll probably end up waiting like 2-3 months before i decide on what to buy so i can see how much work i'll have to do in pro tools...

on a side note, whats the cost like for logic pro 7?
    test
  7. Aze'

Aze' that's the dummy alarm

I'm going to wait until I actually get a chance to demo it - but I'll be willing to put up any ammount of money that this mic is going to be trash. Complete trash. Even 'for the price'... We'll see though.
    test
  8. AllOrNothinEnt

We're not expecting this mic to compete on any level, but be more for those who are.."BROKE AS FUCK".
    test
  9. State Reps

State Reps New Member

shiiit..I disagree w/ u saying someone needs to spend 20,000 just to get a good quality small studio..

I've dropped a lil over $3,500 on my home studio. I get REAL good quality...now mind you...YOU might be able to nitpick the difference, but rappers...listeners...they love it...they cant tell the difference betweeen mine and say....david banner or whoever.

(everything is done in house, except the mastering...I send out for that)

all that matters is u get the sound u want when u record..and that it's clean

after that....if u get a GREAT engineer to mix/master it for u....you are set.....because thats where the real work comes in....

I can def break down how u can get great quality w/ MUCH LESS than 20g's..but thats another post...lol
    test
  10. AllOrNothinEnt

Ok, look at prices of...

Comp
    Desk
    Equipment
    Booth
    Acoustically Treating The Producer Room

All of this combined runs way more than $3,500

We're talking about a home studio, not some stuff thrown on a comp desk.
    test
  11. MetaSin

MetaSin I Don't Believe In You...

u def know what ur talkin bout but... besides the acoustic treatment of the room there are a lot of alternatives for everything that run much cheaper than traditional means that can provide a similar output... especially if he's gettin that shit mastered
    test
  12. State Reps

State Reps New Member

oh..yeah you're right...I forgot to mention all my shit was at a discount....if i bought everything out of the store...it would be around $7800....but if u take away my regular desk and add an omnirax..thats an extra 7-800? I have stand alone racks so i dont need a million spaces. which is why my desk (which I bought specifically for my home studio) works.

a good set up could run around 8-10 g's...but 20? we both know that you can do better than 20 (i must also add that I didnt have to build a booth...I had an extra room (11x9) that I could treat and then turn into a booth)...so...yeah lol...maybe about 12 g's..shit adds up quick.
    test
  13. State Reps

State Reps New Member

so basically what I'm sayin is....always try to make that money stretch. I do my research and be patient w/ the ebay acutions and when the time comes..BAM...I get a roland mmp-2 for $70.00...or an pair of alesis monitors w/ the ra 100 amp for $120.00. Ive bought just about all of my equipment/cables from ebay.

and instead of buying a whisper room...I paid someone qualified to tell me what i had to do w/ my extra room to get it sound treated. and then had my homeboy's father (who does all that kinda work) to put it in motion and instead of shelling out an extra g for a window into the booth, I bought the big knob and another mic.

but I've been real patient...i get shit little by little in order to get it cheaper..I keep like 20-30 peices of equipment on watch in ebay and hit it when the time is right. so now that I think about it...$20g's is not a stretch...it just wouldnt actually be 20g's for me...it would be a lot cheaper because i'd cut corners.

btw..you will be taking chances w/ Ebay..better check them sellers feedback....thank god I havent had a problem..and I've bought atleast 3 items for my studio a month from there for the past year and a 1/2
    test
  14. Mr. Verbalist

Mr. Verbalist How am I doin?

AON, I dropped about $2,000 on my home studio. The quality KILLS any local studio around here with all they dope equipment and shit. Either they're equipment is broken or they just plain out suck at mixing. Before I made my own, I used to go to local studios and waste $65 a session on shit quality, so I said fuck it and made my own booth w/ better quality and saved money. Then just upgrade as I go.
    test
  15. Kaotic33

Kaotic33 Owns You

roland mmp-2 for $70.00... damn!!! i wish i could find one that cheap lol

i got my shure ksm32 on ebay for $300.... retail $500
    test
  16. Mr. Verbalist

Actually I've dropped about $2,500. Ha fuck $70 for the mmp-2. craaaaaaazy
    test
  17. State Reps

State Reps New Member

yep..didnt come w/ any cables or the driver cd plus it was from a pawn shop seller...guess thats why people werent bidding on it...Dummies lol. its in perfect condition...cosmetically too...it was def one of the biggest steals in ebay history

and I'm w/ verb on the local studio thing...we have 4 in my vacinity..and 3 of them are poopoo.....the other 1 I'm in LOVE with...L-O-V-E
    test
  18. Mr. Verbalist

Ha word. I bet the one your in love with is expensive as fuck too? or am I wrong?

lol @ poopoo
    test
  19. State Reps

State Reps New Member

yeah LOOKS nice too...big giant mixing board that spans the whole control room..racks and racks of fx....30+ mics in the locker...beautiful carpet and artwork on the walls...u know how it is haha
    test
  20. AllOrNothinEnt

You see, $20,000 really isn't a stretch, and thats not including any mastering set-ups nor mastering systems (mons, though we dont call them that), so yes, sending off to be mastered is much cheaper.

As for a $2,000 set-up that kills local studios, man, if they have decent equipment, great converters, then I don't see it possible, unless those cocks can't mix at all. lol
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.