Body Fat %

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by ThisMiss, Oct 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThisMiss

ThisMiss Guest

I am quite upset.

I bought one of those super cool body fat percentage scales today...and it LIES to me.

Seriously. It's lying. I can't even say what it says. But it's just not right. So I have two questions for all you crazy people...

1. What about my boobs? Really, I mean, I know my boobs are all fat, so wouldn't that seriously effect my percentage, especially because mine are big? I know it has to make some kind of difference.

2. What else can I do besides healthy eating and exercise to lower my percentage? Because I am already a health nut, and I go to the gym 4x a week. I do alot of walking, alot of hiking, alot of cardio and I lift afew weights.. so WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?

Someone help me. [game]
    test
  2. Dark_Sun

Dark_Sun Phantom of the Forums

You can stop whining and be content with everyone still trying to have sex with you. That's really all that matters when it comes to how good your body looks. If people don't want to have sex with you then you will have something to worry about.
    test
  3. ThisMiss

ThisMiss Guest

Ugh. Go away, you're not helping.

Someone come explain this all to me before I have a panic attack.
    test
  4. LiveFromThe781

LiveFromThe781 Don Of The Den

if you bought one of those Tanita scales, throw it out.

the only way you can get a (semi)accurate measurement (withen afforadable reason) is a standard caliper. they have em at GNC for like 13-15 bucks and you can either look up the measurement procedure online or i can post it up for you.

i dont believe breast matter. one of the measuring sites i believe is right between the chest and arm but even so, its not going to be higher in fat unless YOU are higher in fat. the other sites are like abs, thighs, and ..hmm not sure where else.

diet and exercise are the only things that can lower your body fat. even things like manipulating a fat burning metabolism/thermogenics/leptin are diet related. ...caffiene, ephedrine, testosterone, all burn fat but even still are all diet. yup, thats all there is lol; diet and exercise.
    test
  5. Gorilla Nasty

Gorilla Nasty I'm lame TBH

it depends on your diet. Anything we consume is looked at in our body as either helpful or hurtful. Everyday normal things may be hurtful to our bodies, although we never really know it. Sugar, white flour and in some cases milk are at the top of the list. Drugs, and drinking etc. will also hurt progress because these things are toxic.

But if you take in more toxins than you can eliminate, your body is forced to hang on to fat to divert excess toxins. That is, your body stores toxins in fat. You will not be able to lose that fat until you give your body a break which means eating clean. Try to go as clean as possible for as long as possible. Remember though that you have to take in good fats also to help your body give up it's fat stores.

if you really work out as much as you say, even the most stubborn fat won't stand a chance. run outside, whenever you can. Lifting (heavier) weights will make your cardio sessions more effective.
    test
  6. Ben Official

Ben Official Active Member

dont panic, those scales are completely inaccurate.
    test
  7. GuYaNeSe_KiNg

GuYaNeSe_KiNg New Member

Don't worry about scales or measuring your body fat. They can be inaccurate and your weight can fluctuate a lot during the day. Just look in the mirror, the mirror never lies.

What does your exercise routine look like? Specifically..don't just say walking or doing cardio.
    test
  8. LiveFromThe781

lol sometimes i feel this whole forum is like ThissMiss' private staff of personal trainers.
    test
  9. supacilious

supacilious master of ceremonies

Maybe a better method for you would be to measure your waist with a measuring tape.

here is a website, where you can check your bodyfat % using the measuring tape method.
    http://www.csgnetwork.com/bodyfatcalc.html
    test
  10. LiveFromThe781

dude that thing is terribly inaccurate, i just plugged in my old numbers and the thing told my i was 17% body fat lmao. (im talking the numbers i was in those pictures i posted)
    test
  11. Purple Haze

Purple Haze pop warner hof

Let me see your exercise routine.

A rough idea would be good enough.
    test
  12. Steve Schade

Steve Schade Bears>you

test
  13. ThisMiss

ThisMiss Guest

Kewl !!
    test
  14. ThisMiss

ThisMiss Guest

Yeaaahh I try to stick with a schedule but I get so busy with school... anyways this is what I usually do, sometimes...

Gym every other day, I do 1hr cardio maybe more then I do the weight circuit and pull ups and dips with weight assistance ..

And I usually try to do my ab workouts everynight

Plus I hike a mile to school.
    test
  15. GuYaNeSe_KiNg

GuYaNeSe_KiNg New Member

Cut down the length and up the intensity. Try incorporating some interval running and tabata intervals. Basically anything that's HIIT.

Interval running can look something like this:

sprint 200 metres, jog back to the starting line, do that 8 times

After you're done that, sprint 50 metres, jog back to the starting line, do that 4 times

And when I say sprint, I mean an all out sprint.

Tabata intervals work like this. There is a certain work to rest ratio that you can use. A common one is 20 seconds of work and 10 seconds of rest, continuing like that for 8 cycles. So for example, if you're doing Tabata pushups, it will look something like:

Pushups * 20 seconds
    Rest * 10 seconds
    Pushups * 20 seconds
    Rest * 10 seconds
    Pushups * 20 seconds
    Rest * 10 seconds
    Pushups * 20 seconds
    Rest * 10 seconds
    Pushups * 20 seconds
    Rest * 10 seconds
    Pushups * 20 seconds
    Rest * 10 seconds
    Pushups * 20 seconds
    Rest * 10 seconds
    Pushups * 20 seconds
    Rest * 10 seconds

That's only 4 minutes of exercise, but it's very intense.

Also, have you heard of burpee's? Here's a website explaining how do to them and how great they are: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/rossboxing2.htm

You can make up a workout like this then:

Tabata Burpees
    Tabata Pushups
    Tabata Squats

So that'll look like this:

Burpees * 20 seconds
    Rest * 10 seconds
    Burpees * 20 seconds
    Rest * 10 seconds
    Burpees * 20 seconds
    Rest * 10 seconds
    Burpees * 20 seconds
    Rest * 10 seconds
    Burpees * 20 seconds
    Rest * 10 seconds
    Burpees * 20 seconds
    Rest * 10 seconds
    Burpees * 20 seconds
    Rest * 10 seconds
    Burpees * 20 seconds
    Rest * 10 seconds

Pushups * 20 seconds
    Rest * 10 seconds
    Pushups * 20 seconds
    Rest * 10 seconds
    Pushups * 20 seconds
    Rest * 10 seconds
    Pushups * 20 seconds
    Rest * 10 seconds
    Pushups * 20 seconds
    Rest * 10 seconds
    Pushups * 20 seconds
    Rest * 10 seconds
    Pushups * 20 seconds
    Rest * 10 seconds
    Pushups * 20 seconds
    Rest * 10 seconds

Bodyweight Squats * 20 seconds
    Rest * 10 seconds
    Rest * 10 seconds
    Rest * 10 seconds
    Rest * 10 seconds
    Rest * 10 seconds
    Rest * 10 seconds
    Rest * 10 seconds
    Rest * 10 seconds

There is only that 10 second rest when transitioning between exercise.

The best site for this kind of stuff is http://www.rosstraining.com

He has a bunch of vids, a bunch of articles, a bunch of sample workouts, and there's a HUGE forum that's always active. He also has two books he's selling for a cheap price which are the best books for fitness I've ever read.
    test
  16. Ben Official

instead of doing all the pushups then all the bodyweight squats, do them as a circuit.

pushups
    no rest
    bodyweight squats
    no rest
    pushups
    no rest
    bodyweight squats
    etc, give yourself a 45 sec rest after 2 mins

but as for thismiss, nah i wouldnt do any of that stuff
    test
  17. LiveFromThe781

^why the hell not?

the method Guyanese King is one of the most effective proven forms of cardio (for boys and girls). maybe she doesnt have to start banging out pushups but bodyweight squats are not very difficult.
    test
  18. Purple Haze

I was actually about to suggest this but I realized I was talking to a girl.

What kind of girl does sprint whose not doing track? especially with her huge chest.

Running slow for long periods of time is but not optimal for fat loss. This is a good read.. written by a female. 0_o

http://www.michaelboyle.biz/joomla/dmdocuments/howtogainbodyfat.pdf
    test
  19. Ben Official

lol, i just opened up the file, read the title and did a very brief skim... but isnt that about how to GAIN body fat? lol
    test
  20. Purple Haze

Yeah, it list thing you do if you want to gain bodyfat then goes off a tangeant and list things you was to do become leaner.

It was an good approach, IMO.

Some of things you do to gain bodyfat she was doing.. like long, slow runs.

I pretty much tells you to switch up the tempo... slow, fast, hard, soft. 0_o (hint hint)

I don't think she wants to be doing some fucking sprints though, lol.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.