BMW 325i OR Lexus IS300??

Discussion in 'Car & Audio' started by OrtizDupri, Aug 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OrtizDupri

OrtizDupri then you gotta BREATHE

Looking at cars... with options, the Lexus comes out at like $3000 more.

I'm sort of looking long term here, which will have better reliability, lower insurance, less depreciation, and what not.

I think I prefer the Beamer, but I'm pretty open to either, just trying to get a view on what y'all think...

(And yes, I would be getting rid of the Mustang)...
    test
  2. SEIK

SEIK New Member

Parts are expensive as shit for both of them!
    test
  3. OrtizDupri

I know, but both have good maintenance plans... (not sure which one's better, the BMW one looks better as of right now)...

And really looking for a car that doesn't depreciate in value.
    test
  4. cj mandarin

cj mandarin CJMandarin Productions

neither one of those really depreciates considering both of them are pretty popular.

in terms of reliability the is300 would be the better bet.

in terms of insurance they're pretty much both the same car so insurance is gonna be the same for both.

me personally id lean towards the beamer, i like the way it looks a lot better but the is300 is still a great car.
    test
  5. Trey M

Trey M \.=.

they both straight...but look like female rides to me
    test
  6. OrtizDupri

Well what looks like a male ride, then?
    test
  7. nightbird

nightbird I Do It Like It's My Job

Lexus is a real nice car, better bang for the buck.
    test
  8. Verz

Verz Dubb Duece

Yea the lexus is prolly more reliable than the beamer, the bmw does look better, and has more performance options i'd go with the bmw though.
    test
  9. Kraylen

Kraylen Killer Instinct Champion.

Get the altezza
    test
  10. Tigre

Tigre Ax Me About Ebonics

agreed... reliability, resale, but shitty customer service.. oh well can't win them all.

Oh yeah make sure to get a 5spd, the automatic is really weak.
    test
  11. OrtizDupri

Yeah... see I don't want a 5-speed haha... I want an automatic, because the plan is to have one hand on the wheel and one hand on a girl (my girl, his girl, any girl)'s thigh... plus I'm only really a fan of manuals in sportscars.

I plan on heading home and test-driving both and then really thinking about it before I made any decision, because I'd be taking out the loan in my name and paying for all of it myself, so that's a big commitment right there...

Is the Lexus really THAT much more reliable than the BMW that it would make a huge difference? Or is the difference really in the service costs and what not?
    test
  12. Tigre

LMAO, then that is ok.

BMW 3 series IMO are not really worth the price NEW. I think the Lexus is a better offer, esp. since I almost bought the 325i for my everyday car. Looked at the price tag fully loaded then back at the car and said I can't do it.

Lexus/Toyota is just that reliable as well. Both are very fun cars, both with RWD and great handling makes for a good time for an everyday car. Still think the IS3 is underpowered but oh well. Insurance wise, IS300 is not that bad talking to some friends I have.

ANy other cars on your list? It seems to be that 30g's is your price range correct? IF so, why not the g35 coupe, or the new TL. I think the TL is probably one of the best cars for the buck, right behind the g35 for the cars under 40g's.
    Oh yeah, iS this a graduation present to yourself?

If it were me, I think the new TL would be a better buy than a IS3 or 3 series. It has more room, more hp, TL has probably the best reliability still in its class, has a subtle but sporty styling, and fully loaded w/out nav for the same price of a IS300.
    test
  13. OrtizDupri

Yeah my price range is like $28-$33 or so... the BMW is cheaper by a bit, coming in at right around $30....

I want a sedan this time around, something that makes more sense. I've had my Mustang 2-door, and as much fun as it is fitting people and luggage and what not in there... I'm definitely looking more towards a 4-door entry-level-luxury sedan.

I've been looking at the following:

BMW 325i
    Lexus IS300
    Audi A4
    G35 Sedan/Coupe
    Mercedes C230
    Acura TL
    Acura TSX

Yeah it's a graduation present to myself - I can get a $25K loan for precommissioning throug the Army, and it's got like a 3.59% APR and I'll pay it off in like 5 years, so it's not too bad overall. I'd still have to convince my folks, but if I can get my budget in order then I'm all set.

I'll have to check out that TL as well then... you speak so highly of it... I've just never really been impressed with Acuras when I was in/around them... again, I've got a few cars that I might head home to test drive if I can convince my fam to work with me on this one... that one's on the list.

Thanks for all the help, too man.... this is a tough decision and one that I better be happy with for a while.
    test
  14. Tigre

Congrats on the graduating college man. VT grad right, had couple of close friends graduate from there. I went to VCU for 2yrs and finished at UVA. Always had hella fun at some parties at VT.. damn those where the days.. anyway

As for cars... I have to say the best car of the bunch is the TL then. I have owned the Audi, been in the IS numerous of times, as well as the g35, mercedes TSX and Bimmer.

Here is my quick breakdown on the cars.

325i - Fun car, maybe even the most fun out of the group. RWD coupled with the handling characteristics makes the car a good car to have. You get put in a nice social class, if you are into that thing. Tranny is smooth on the 5spd, and still good on the automatic. The sports package has a little bit of a rough ride, but makes the car that much more fun especially on a nice spring day hitting the back roads on a country side... <--chessy as fuck, but so true. Also, comes with nice 17 wheel package and I think the Xenon lights.
    Cons
    Gets crazy expensive with options. Don't think it is that great of a bang for the buck assuming you want luxury and sport. True everyone gives it great reviews, but many car magazines swing sooooo low from BMW's nuts it is ridiculous. Interior space is cramped. Seems as good as most coupes if you ask me. Maintenance is a pain, and seems to get problems with the car right after the warranty goes away... weird huh.

IS300 - fun, nice handling, nice styling, and good reliability. Great car for someone wanting to establish themselves coming out of college.
    Cons
    Underpowered, bad gas mileage, they introduced the wave of altezza lights...lol.. no seriously, Interior bits don't look like what you think a lexus should be. Kinda of cheap bits here and there.

Mercedes c230 - IMO, shouldn't be in the group. Not impressed by the least of this car unless it is the Kompressor. And even then, this shows you that you are definitely paying for a badge not a car. Cause the car lacks in every category against the other competitors.

Acura TL - Nice body restyle, great V6 engine, good gas mileage, Interior is quite impressive, guage overlay is goregous, handling is good for FWD car, reliability for TL's have been the best in it's category for years. Only option is the navigation system, everything else is standard. By far the best car Acura has out as of now.
    Cons not as fun as the RWD models, styling is very similar to the TSX. Auto tranny is decent, wish you had more freedom in controlling the gears in manual mode.

Audi a4 - AWD, gorgeous interior rivals the BMW for very clean displays. Smooth transmission, 1.8t is considered one of the top engines. very simple and elegant exterior design. Sports package is a must. Quattro system is by far one of the best AWD systems available. Good handling with the Quattro. Quality build is great.
    Cons
    Reliability is shady, should have more power, options makes the car rise in price but not as fast as a Bimmer. German car means, exp. repair bills.

And the TSX- Save yourself the money and get either the TL or a Accord V6. The TSX is underpowered and cost as much if not more than a Accord V6 that has the same interior and more hp. I guess the insurance would be less on the TSX though compared to the V6 accord.

My choices would be as far as SEDANS go:
    1. Acura TL
    2. IS300
    3. BMW 325i

Or thats it..lol. If you stay with these three in this price range, you really can't go wrong. Hope some of this stuff helps. Good luck on your purchase.
    test
  15. OrtizDupri

Thanks a ton man - I'm graduating in the spring, but was planning on getting the loan and what not either some time this semester or come winter break, so I really need to start planning now.

Based on everything I've read, I think it's pretty much a choice between the BMW and the Acura... I plan on checking the others out, but none of them appeal to me as much as those two do. I just am not really a fan of the Lexus, honestly, its looks turn me off more than anything else.
    test
  16. Tigre

No prob man. How are you getting your loan? Are you with a credit union, if so they are offering pretty damn good deals on interest rates for new cars right now.

As for the lexus, it makes sense I like the front end of the lex, not much else on the car. Also, are you staying around the NoVA area or central VA? What area do you plan on being in, in the future. That should play a part on what car you want. Cause say you get a job or something up in New England you might want to get AWD, or FWD car. If you are staying in and around the VA area or going south, then RWD can be fine in everyday driving and winter driving. Although I still prefer to have a FWD car in the winter and a RWD for the summer. Good luck. Post results on how your test drive goes.

Oh yeah what is plan B, if you don't get any of these cars. Will you still be in the market for a car? Drop your price range or get a used ride?
    test
  17. OrtizDupri

The loan is through the Army Federal Credit Union I believe...

And I'd probably buy the car in NOVA, then end up taking it down south (IE Fort Benning Georgia, Ft. Rucker Alabama). Not a whole lot of Army bases that I'd end up stationed at up north with bad winters - there's a few, but not any that I'd likely be stationed at. So I'm not too worried about getting a FWD or AWD car specifically, since I'm not too worried about weather being a huge factor.

I've still gotta talk to my folks and convince them that this is a good plan (since my current car is in THEIR name)... once I do that, I'll probably head home for a weekend to test drive cars, and I'll let y'all know how that goes.

Plan B... well I'll still be in the market, but probably more in the $20,000 to $28,000 price range... preferably new, simply because I'd rather have that assurance and warranties...
    test
  18. Tigre

Sounds like a good plan... if all goes well with your talk with your parents then tell me how the test drives go, if not, we can hit up a new list for plan B cars.
    test
  19. Snikka

Snikka Vision Action Execution

Lexus....

Love em.... I wouldn't want an IS tho... I'd rather have another ES-300...

great rides.... love mine.

test
  20. Birth0fTragedy

Birth0fTragedy New Member

neither please. Both are female cars to me man. Consider something else, ACURA or something.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.