Black Women & Hair

Discussion in 'Ladies Lounge' started by Leatherface, Jul 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leatherface

Leatherface New Member

Hair is obviously one of the most important aspects of a black woman's life. The first female million in this country (black or white) was Madam CJ Walker, who got her riches from haircare products for black women.

My question is why do black women put so much emphasis on their hair. Even during sex, a lot of women go through pains to not mess their hair up.

And what kind of hairstyle do you rock?

You got that #2 Yakky Weave going on, or do you rock your own hair?

*Awaits typical hoodrat rebuttal, 'I bought this hair, so it's mine'*
    test
  2. mr.rip

mr.rip New Member

Pattie Labelle rock the crazies hair styles i ever seen in my life
    test
  3. Leatherface

Leatherface New Member

Can't forget good old Grace Jones.
    test
  4. Lil Dead

Lil Dead Arizona Steel

my friend scherry went to jail for over 3 weeks for getting caught stealing hair.. lol :( it was kinda sad and funny at the same time.
    test
  5. Leatherface

Leatherface New Member

Does it get any more hoodrat-ish than that?
    test
  6. mr.rip

mr.rip New Member

she looks like a man
    test
  7. Lil Dead

Lil Dead Arizona Steel

hahahaha, naw man! It dont....

Love the girl to death but god damn! I definatly wont forget that shit.I doubt the salon place do either.
    test
  8. samii so sexii

samii so sexii ..sunkist siren..

the hair is sacred.

LoL naw it just takes a lot of upkeep for it to look nice. A black woman's hair is high maintenance.

We can just wash it and let it air dry. It takes a lot of heat (which can damage it) to get it straight.

right now im rockin my natural. ready to bring out the 1B Spanish Wave human hair before the peak of summer hits LoL
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  9. Hash Seeds

Hash Seeds New Member

Honestly I like women who appearance is more natural

No weave, make up, or fake nails. I know thats rare nowadays but to me thats beautiful
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  10. tight-eyes

tight-eyes Such a F*cking Lady!

Yep, its a maintenance thing. Some of the styles we like are time consuming to create, so we go out of our way to maintain that look we worked for.

My hair is natural, most of the time I wear it curly & free, but I do go to extra lengths not to mess it up after all the time & energy it takes to straighten it or manipulate it into an updo. I'm getting it weaved in a few weeks, wich will give me a break. I can do anything to that hair & wear it any style I want without having to worry about maintaining the styles shape, texture, or heat/product damage.

God bless 18" Remi 1b!
    test
  11. Sincere313

Sincere313 Realist of them all

I'ma high maintence female, so my hair AND nails being done is a MUST. I just like wearing different hair styles, I get bored with my real hair after awhile. I only wear my real hair in the winter/fall because its low maintence and its cooler. I have no problem wearing my real hair, I have a nice length underneath these tracks lmao. But, my hair sweats out fast in the summer, so thats why I either keep it braided or get a sew-in. I have a sew in now with this hair called Princess. I dont give a damn what nobody has to say about weave because you're not buying it and my hair is ALWAYS laid. Because its alot of women who wear their real hair and still look a hot mess..
    test
  12. Tha Cunnysmythe

Tha Cunnysmythe Unsavoury Negroid

Totally.
    test
  13. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

I think more black women should go natural instead of fuckin' with bad weaves and perms that don't last past 2 days... I mean, why waste all that money when the look only last a couple of days or a week at best?
    test
  14. BoDi

BoDi www.iambodirock.com

don't get a black females hair wet...ohh my lawwd!
    test
  15. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

^Which is one of the reasons so many black women have weight issues, because they don't want to sweat from exercising. I've seen plenty of women who are 200+ lbs, but their do is TIGHT!! It's like gettin' rims on a hooptie... okay, maybe that was harsh... I's sorry.
    test
  16. BoDi

BoDi www.iambodirock.com

test
  17. samii so sexii

samii so sexii ..sunkist siren..

you must spread some reputation around before giving it to Tight-Eyes again.

LoL @ Remi. for real...I used Remi Velvet by Outre a couple years ago...never looked back. love it!

@ Igg you are a fool. You gotta blame the obesity on something other than hair. I'm goin to a BBQ out in Compton tomorrow. A LOT of my relatives out there are on the plus size. I think the food does it to them...not the hair LoL

but its debatable. LoL
    test
  18. tight-eyes

I just bought some remi for the first time a few months ago. I havent used it yet, but I can already tell I'm gonna love it (took it out the package and played around with it). Its a little more expensive than what I usually buy, but the quality makes it worth it... plus I found a really good deal on it with a store on ebay!

Dealing with my hair over the hot, humid summer is a pain... I cant wait to get it done. Get-up-go hair... thats wussup.
    test
  19. tight-eyes

P.s. I got that same message you did when I tried to rep ya, but you and Sincere were on point re: the topic.
    test
  20. Mel Man

Mel Man Wat ya'll bout to witness

Word, that shows me that dem girls got more self confidence and accept what God gave em. Fuck all that fake shit, ya'll black women are beautiful regardless.

Phife put it best in "Butter"

Your whole appearance is a lie and it could never be true
    And if you really loved yourself then you would try and be you
    If your hair and eyes were real, I wouldn't have dissed ya
    But since it was bought, I had to dismiss ya
    If you can't achieve it, then why not try and weave it
    If you can't extend it then you might as well suspend it
    If you can't braid it, best thing to do is fade it
    I asked who did your hair and you tell me "Diane made it"
    If you were you and just you, talk to you, maybe
    But I can't stand, no bionic lady

to each their own though.