Black Quarterbacks - the most undervalued in the NFL ((short essay)).

Discussion in 'Sports Central' started by d-rell, Nov 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. d-rell

d-rell New Member

Big ups to the most underappreciate QB's in the game. It's a wonder too how some of the most underrated QB's in History were black? Randall Cunningham (NFL leading QB rusher), Warren Moon [Although he wasn't fast and agile, still many colleges recruited him in of high school with the desire to make him a TE (I wonder if Namith, Uninas, Bradshaw, or Tarkenton experience the same scenario ???) but the colleges passed on him when he refused to play any other position but quarterback. After two record-breaking seasons @ a small college in L.A., the Washington Huskies were the only school in the nation to recruit him at QB. Moon led the Huskies to the rose bowl and won the MVP award, but no NFL team drafted him. From there Moon spent his first 5 pro seasons in the CFL, where he was the clearly the leagues most outstanding passer, breaking passing records and winning five championships. Finally when a minority of NFL owners began challenging the "blacklisting (non pun)" of black quarterbacks in its league, the Houston Oilers picked up Warren Moon. Moon went on to pass for 50,000 yards in the NFL. We can only imagine what his career stats would look like if he began his pro career in the NFL. Favre would still be chasing his career passing records down.], Steve McNair, Michael Vick, and Donovan McNabb in particular.

The stipulation was that blacks weren't intelligent enough to QB, although perhaps one of the best QB's of all-time Dan Marino scored under 20 on the Pro Football Intelligence test (Wonderlic Test) which has been administered since 1938, its still widely believed that takes superior intelligence to play quarterback, and therefore black are less superior. The Wonderlic Test is a 50 question test attempting to measure the intelligence of the players (of course there are reports of bias' in the test). A 20 on the Wonderlic Test is average, and the equivalent to a 100 IQ score. [[Formula (IQ=2 x Wonderlic score + 60)]].. So Dan Marino scored a 15, according a University of North Carolina study based on leaked scout NFL combine reports, a 15 score is according to the formula a 90 IQ. Note that according to leaked combined reports the position on the football field producing the lowest IQ scores is the running back position. The average running back scores 16 Wonderlic = a 92 IQ, so its quite possible that if you measure intelligence by the Wonderlic score like many have been prone to do, Dan Marino in many cases may have been the dumbest player in the field on Sunday. However, just three years ago in 2006 Bruce Eugene QB out of Grambling State (an historic black college) registered one of the highest wonderlic scores in the NFL a 41, i.e a 142 IQ... in comparison to Jeff George a white quarterback who scored one of lowest QB wonderlic scores, 10 i.e. an 80 IQ back in 1990. However, George "started" 124 games in the NFL throughout his career, Eugene has started 0. Ryan Fitzpatrick scored a perfect 50/50 according to the Wall Street Journal report based off leaked combine reports, and yet only has a 66.8 career QB rating. So either something is wrong with the Wonderlic Test or an IQ doesn't have a significant impact on QB performance.. there is too much of a statistical deviation from IQ scores in relation to good QB performance. However, even if IQ scores did possess a strong impact on QB performance, the leaked combine data records "no" particular advantage for white QB's or blacks (even though the reported bias in the test may curve blacks a slight advantage). So the long held theory that blacks aren't intelligible enough to play quarterback is beyond bogus.

So why aren't black given the opportunity to play QB to the extent that they're given opportunity in other positions? Obviously, regardless of how you measure intelligence, they are intelligent. Of course there's the theory that whites can't compete with blacks at the other skilled positions because they require more athletic ability. The QB position levels the playing field, and of course there are more whites than blacks in America so... I don't know about that theory, although it sounds alot more feasible than whites being more intellectually superior (we already discussed the measures of intelligence in relation to quarterback performance & I didn't even get into the perceived racial bias' alleged in the wonderlic test)... any way.. for those that still in there ignorance doubt the competence of black QB's witness the stats.. although relative to the amount of white QB's that've flooded starting spots in the NFL throughout its history black QB's (est. lower than 2% have scored starting jobs) have managed some extrodinary seasons.

Even now there are only five blacks starting in a National Football league where the player personnel is 73% black. But its not nearly an NFL problem in my opinion, the disparities @ the QB position go back to the high school level (which I can testify to), where in schools with more whites on the athletic board, afro-american are assigned to more "black" positions. Even on the college level, coaching staffs are content with keeping most of the black quarterbacks the recuit in as a "option" quarterbacks instead of teaching them the offense, and taking time to ground them on reading defenses... so by the time the NFL draft comes, there are more Kordell Stewarts in the Combine than Byron Leftwich's.

Best NFL Seasons for a black QB - these seasons are some of the best all-time.. even though blacks have had "no where near" the opportuinies whites have had in playing the QB position in top organized football anywhere... and yeah, yeah, yeah call the truth complaining all you want.. the facts are the facts... top 10 NFL seasons for blk QB's (Top 3 are among the Top 10 best season performance of all-time in the NFL):

1.) Dante Culpepper 2004:
    4717 pass yds., 69.2 comp. pct%, 39 TD's, 11 INTs, 110.9 QB Rating, 406 Rush yds.

2.) Randall Cunningham 1990:
    3466 pass yds., 58.3 comp. pct%, 30 TD's, 13 INTs, 91.6 QB Rating, 942 Rush yds.

3.) Randall Cunningham 1998:
    3704 pass yds., 60.9 comp. pct%, 34 TD's, 10 INTs, 106.0 QB Rating

4.) Donovan McNabb 2004:
    3875 pass yds., 64.0 comp. pct%, 31 TD's, 8 INTs, 104.7 QB Rating

5.) Warren Moon 1990:
    4689 pass yds., 62.0 comp. pct%, 33 TD's, 13 INTs, 312.6 Pass yds. per game, 96.8 QB Rating

6.) Steve McNair 2003:
    3215 pass yds., 62.5 comp. pct%, 24 TD's, 7 INTs, 100.4 QB Rating,

7.) Dante Culpepper 2000:
    3937 pass yds., 62.7 comp. pct%, 33 TD's, 16 INTs, 98.0 QB Rating, 470 Rush yds.

8.) Michael Vick 2006:
    1039 rush yds., 8.4 yds per carry, 2474 pass yds., 20 TD's, 13 INTs, 75.7 QB Rating

9.) David Garrard 2007:
    2509 pass yds., 64.0 comp. pct%, 18 TD's, 3 INTs, 102.2 QB Rating

10.) Warren Moon 1995:
    4228 pass yds., 62.2 comp. pct%, 33 TD's, 14 INTs, 91.5 QB Rating

~1~
    test
  2. Joro

Joro New Member

I remember Randall Cunningham was on the Arsenio Hall show once, and Arsenio asked him if you have to be smart to play QB. Randall started breaking a play down and giving all these codes in letters and numbers, and tried to explain how he reads his options .... I remember being confused as hell.....

Can't blame whites for not letting blacks play QB. They automatically think we're dumb, whatever political correctness makes them say in public.

So to me, Warren Moon is an even bigger hero than Jackie Robinson. Moon was so good that they couldn't ignore him. He proved that monkeys can survey the football field and make decisions...and still have the athletic advantage of being monkeys.

Other than Moon, my favorite black QB is Charlie Ward. He killed it at Florida St. His problem though was that he was TOO smart. So smart he decided to make his millions in the NBA, playing a non-contact sport. He'll be able to pick up his grandkids......
    test
  3. Your Idol

Your Idol ♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠

Most football players are dumb as fuck. The smart guys are usually linemen.

Randall's '98 year was incredible though.
    test
  4. Joro

Joro New Member

That's cuz linemen aren't athletes but 350 lbs. nerds who've never had a girl in their life..... then they join the team and get head from two cheerleaders at once under the bleachers and realize, "I can make a life of this".......

Yea ...Minnesota was my team in '98 with Cunningham...they were supposed to win the Super Bowl......it was so much fun watching Moss run and get under Cunningham's deep balls....plus they played in a dome....
    test
  5. d-rell

d-rell New Member

lol one bad kick by Gary Anderson ruined the season.. and I luv Denny Green, but the Falcons are who they thought they were.. and they let em' off the hook. I think they're the second greatest team of all-time.. seriously I'd put them up against '72 Dolphins, anyone of the Dallas teams of the 90's, 49ers&Bears teams of the 80's, and Colts teams of 2000s. Too much talent on that team, I think the only team slightly better was of course the 2007 Patriots. I think if you put both the '98 Vikings and '07 Patriots in the same situation they lost in 16 times ('98 Falcons, '07 Giants) they win 15 of those games.

Peep out The Missing Rings on YouTube. '98 Vikes went hard...

~1~
    test
  6. Joro

Joro New Member

OMGosh...just finished watching The Missing Rings......it's all coming back to me.... and I still can't believe it.

That team had the best offense of all-time....smh

Their kicker hadn't missed a kick in TWO YEARS.....smh

Ok, the offense had an off-game, but still gave their perfect kicker the chance to win it from 39 yards......and the perfect kicker decided to show he was imperfect on the exact same Sunday that the offense decided to show it was imperfect.....smh

And all the freak injuries.....smh

Someone could write a greek tragedy about the '98 Vikings and the fickle gods.....
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.