Black Lawyers Beaten by NYPD

Discussion in 'IntroSpectrum' started by B. Fury, Aug 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. B. Fury

B. Fury Active Member

http://ybpguide.com/2007/07/15/black-lawyers-beaten-by-nypd/

Funny how this didn't get a whole lot of media coverage...

Black Lawyers Beaten by NYPD
    July 15th, 2007 Tambra · 5 Comments
    The Beating of Black Lawyers
    [col. writ. 7/5/07] (c) ‘07 Mumia Abu-Jamal

No matter who we are, or where we live, folks in Black America have grown up with the lesson of the importance of education as a tool of social mobility.

That’s why lawyers are generally so highly regarded in many Black communities, as people who have undergone years of legal education.

But that respect doesn’t go far beyond the community. Cops in Brooklyn, New York recently showed what they thought of lawyers by beating them up! Well-known human rights attorney Michael Tarif Warren, and his wife, Evelyn (also a lawyer), were driving down Brooklyn’s Vanderbilt Avenue, when they spotted a Black youth being chased by cops across a McDonald’s parking lot.

The youngster was tackled to the ground and handcuffed, when the Warrens saw a Sgt. Talvy begin kicking him in the head, the ribs, and stomping on his neck.

The 2 attorneys stopped their car, walked within 10 feet of the beating, identified themselves (as lawyers), and told the cops to stop beating the youth, and simply take him to the nearest precinct.

The Sergeant’s response was to shout, “I don’t give a f**k who you are, get the f**k back in your car!” The Warrens returned to the car, where Michael began to write down notes of what he saw, and the license plate numbers of the cop cars present.

Before he could finish his notes Sgt, Talvy walks up to the car, and began to repeatedly punch him through the window, shouting “Get out of the car!”

Warren was then dragged out of his car, his clothes ripped in the process. His wife, obviously upset at these events, demanded to know why he was attacked, and was promptly punched in the face by this same cop! Both Warrens were arrested and driven to the 77th precinct and charged with obstruction, disorderly conduct, and resisting arrest. Within hours hundreds of Brooklynites converged on the precinct, demanding the release of the Warrens. People came from all walks of life, for Tarif has a long history, almost 30 years, of representing people who have been victims of police or prosecutorial misconduct in the city. Groups like the December 12th Movement, Malcolm X Grassroots Movement, the International Action Center, and many others quickly mobilized support for the Warrens.

In an interview in the New York Daily Challenge, Evelyn Warren spoke for many people when she said, “We are professionals, if they do this to us in broad daylight on a crowded street, what do they do in the dark when no one is around? That’s what I’m concerned about.”

She and others called not only for the removal of Talvy, but of Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly as well. When Black lawyers are beaten in the streets, what about average folks?

What about you?

(c) ‘07 maj

[Source: Ajamu, Amadi, “Civil Rights Attorney Assaulted”, Daily Challenge (N.Y.), Mon., June 25, 2007, p.3.}

This is truly unnerving to know that regardless of race, that active professionals who are tax paying residents were treated in an inhumane way by simply being concerned, civilly engaged citizens. My heart raced as I read every line. I can depict a tension in Brooklyn that could give rise to a riot because of the repeated injustice and misconduct by the local government to the residents, particularly those of color. At some point, people will say enough is enough. There must be accountability and balance. The superiority complex must be checked. When the very same institution is to serve and protect begins to violate their mission, an unethical dilemma rises and has to be properly dealt with.

This injustice of a people cannot continue…
    test
  2. B. Fury

B. Fury Active Member

#5: Atty. Michael Warren, lip swollen walks out of the 77th pct. with his wife Evelyn and Councilman Charles Barron. He was released due to community pressure after a sergeant from the pct. punched Atty. Warren, dragged him out of his car, and arrested him and his wife. 100 or so supporters gathered at the station house and forced the NYPD to release him. photos by William Farrington

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More pics
    test
  3. DemiGod

DemiGod Peef Rimgar

sigh...fuckin cops

I've seen this kinda shit first hand
    test
  4. BlackSoultan Ad Infinitum

BlackSoultan Ad Infinitum aka Billy Shoreview

GyatDAYUM that's an ugly woman.

But yeah, the point that we must focus on here is this: if the cops are willing to do this in broad daylight to two attorneys in front of witnesses, what kind of treatment do you think they will give the average person who is NOT affirmed of their rights? Here are the key points in the story:

1. TWO attorneys
    2. ALREADY peeped the cop committing a crime
    3. Whose entire legal practice for 3 decades has been about police misconduct specifically
    4. elderly
    5. beaten
    6. in broad daylight.

Somehow, this was NOT national news.

So what happens when a similar cop (and there seems to be no shortage of them) simply decides the rules don't apply to him in YOUR situation? That's your ass, and no one would even know about it or care...
    test
  5. Glasscut360

Glasscut360 Member

Well I just did a littlbe bit of research to show that the media is corrupt and its getting out of hand I just visited the website for the "Brooklyn Daily Eagle" and this news is not there I they have "Crime" news for the following 78th pct - 86 pct in between those days where is this news ? apparently they dont consider this a crime..

http://www.brooklyneagle.com/categories/category.php?category_id=7
    test
  6. identity-X

identity-X No Talent Assclown

wtf?!? I doubt the outcome of the trial will even make the news...

nice to see the Malcolm X/NOI style community support.
    test
  7. Edmund Kemper

Edmund Kemper New Member

^you're such a fake, machiavellian motherfucker
    test
  8. identity-X

identity-X No Talent Assclown

*hugs Edmund*
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.