Big L vs Lil Wayne

Discussion in 'Hip-Hop Central' started by thedream233, Nov 2, 2009.

?

Who's better?

1. Big L

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Lil Wayne

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hash Seeds

Hash Seeds New Member

I'll respond to the question in a sec... but what exactly do you consider underground? From the posts I've seen on this board, a lot of posters consider apathy, copywrite, immortal tech, tech nine, blu as being underground... a certain genre of rap where they are kind of anti "whatever's mainstream". And nothing's wrong with that. Out of all of them I kinda like Blu and have heard material from a few of each of the others that I've named. But what you consider loaded lux, cory gunz, murda mook, cyssero, ar-ab, math hoffa, arsonal, freck billionaire as being underground because to "me" they sure do classify to have the underground tag by rm standards. They have a fan base, they are not known to the mass media, but the kicker they talk about some of the same subject matters that one would consider mainstream rap. Is someone like dj yola or was camoflauge underground? They have a big fan base and do club, bouncy music, But I bet my bottom dollar you would consider Heltah Skeltah or Buckshot or Rakim to be underground though lol. I just believe some people hate the fact that there favorite rapper is not doing "numbers" like another artist is and to me that's some hoe shit. I love Little Brother and Elzhi and you know what I never get mad when they don't sell a huge amount of records. It would be cool if they did but I'm a fan not the damn RIAA when I listen to there discs. I'm not picking up there disc at FYE and getting mad cuz I see someone pick up 4 discs of the Carter 3. I try to put someone on to there music and that's all you can do as a fan. Either they like it or they don't and if they don't it's not going to effect how I feel about another artist.

One last thing, artists would be doing better if consumers actually bought CD's. How can a individual complain about another individual's work when you haven't bought a cd, a concert ticket, not even a t-shirt lol? It's not like you spent the 13.98 at best buy and then got mad that it only had 2 cuts on the album. You went to morpheus or kazaa or to the download center here and downloaded the song which took you all of 5 minutes to do and came up with your verdict on his work. I'm for one am against people downloading music illegally. If pirating music is hurting mainstream acts record sales as bad as we've seen, just imagine how much it's affecting artists that weren't expected to sell a lot anyone that you consider "underground"

@eminem... same gimmicky single.. check... u know what, there was no difference to me from SSLP and Relapse. I honestly think if relapse came out after SSLP it wouldnt have received as much hate... so once again what was the difference between those two other than the fact he used a different voice on a majority of the songs on Relapse. @infinite was an EP and a lot of the songs from there ended up on the SSLP which is why I didn't compare it
    test
  2. Hash Seeds

Hash Seeds New Member

btw I went a Mr. Lif and El-P concert years ago here in Philly and it was dope. It was my first time seeing or hearing either one of them.
    test
  3. ernboogie

ernboogie New Member

RIP, Big L, Harlems FINEST!

Big L was much more of a ICON overseas and in HARLEM than commercial but he was next in line behind Jay anyway. What a dynasty that woulda been. Anyway he got murdered back in 99' and his music was very popular and lives on. L was a Hustla, just like all the great music icons before him and he should be mentioned in the same breath as BIG, PAC, PUN, and JAY, BIG L

REST IN PEACE

How to Become a hustler, Be the Ultimate Hustler, Hustle Make Money, Legal Hustling

WestCoast, Eastcoast, Midwest, DirtySouth. Hustlas! Need new Venues and ways to build that Brand, CHECK THIS OUT!

How to Become a hustler, Be the Ultimate Hustler, Hustle Make Money, Legal Hustling

[​IMG]

eRNbOOGIE
    LEGAL HUSTLA, AFFILIATE
    test
  4. Common_Sense79

Common_Sense79 Truth Peddler

Can't believe this is even a question being posed. And what's worse wayne got 15 idiots to vote for him? SMH. These kids don't know what skills on the M-I-C are anymore.
    test
  5. TWAMP$iN

TWAMP$iN Guest

^real talk.
    test
  6. Mock Turtle

Mock Turtle ✂ Touche Douche ツ ✗○✗○✗○☂

Nothin', NOTHIN'!
    test
  7. AlexKKKeller

AlexKKKeller New Member

Underground Rap is a concept.
    The idea that Hip-Hop should taken away from Corporate America, and turned back into what it's meant to be, which is a medium for poetic communication, that betters the listener.
    test
  8. Mock Turtle

I understand what you're saying, but a lot of that shit makes me want to fucking kill myself.
    test
  9. Veez

Veez New Member

BIG L = Most Valuable Poet on the M.I.C.
    test
  10. Mock Turtle

^ Big L = Minimal Verses Produced
    test
  11. TWAMP$iN

TWAMP$iN Guest

a single Big L verse > Lil Wayne's entire catalog
    test
  12. spenceshood

spenceshood New Member

Big L Corleone to advanced for y'all!!!!!!!!!!
    test
  13. Mo_Scrilla31

Mo_Scrilla31 New Member

Underground Rap isn't a concept at all. The reason an artist is considered underground is because he isn't seen or heard by the general public and/or has no pulse in the mainstream Hip-Hop scene. Even someone like 50 Cent, in 1999, would have been considered underground.

Also, let's not act like mainstream artists who make music for the radio and the clubs aren't staying true to the art form. You can't tell me Hip-Hop music hasn't ever been about partying or dancing. That's why it blew up in the first place.

Rapper's Delight ain't Hip-Hop?
    test
  14. Freebass

Freebass NAH NUDDAH

i know wtf was dude listening to?
    test
  15. Freebass

Freebass NAH NUDDAH

math is dope, as well as arsonal.........cory is gona end up as supernatural 2.........all freestyles, written yes, but a song please.......
    test
  16. .:Pain:.

.:Pain:. Futurely J. Keeper

I consider underground to be anything that differs from the mainstream status quo, and consists of an artists signed to or owning an independent label. For example, I don't consider Yukmouth to be underground because he's pretty just a mainstream rapper that hasn't broke into the mainstream yet.

And yes, I would consider the latter rappers you stated as being underground (except Rakim, he WAS the mainstream for a while in NY).

Agreed, but it's all about adaptation. Rhymesayers Ent. seems to be adapting well, for example.
    It was a full-length album and none of the songs on it were on SSLP. I think you might be mistaken...
    test
  17. NinjaMic

NinjaMic Brian Disease

I see underground is just a sales bracket and level of distribution, or exposure. If your CD's in Wal-Mart or Best Buy and always in stock, it's kinda hard to call yourself underground... if you have a million fans, and you're independent, it's kinda hard to feel underground... you're kind of a big deal. If you're a conscious or abstract rapper, but you go gold or better alot, and everyone knows and respects you... I wouldn't really call that underground either.

Like... 36 Chambers is considered an underground sound... but like, it really wasn't an underground album when it became a classic and started selling, and almost the whole clan went gold in their solos within a few years. The demo tape is underground though, still. The St Ides mixtape is underground... even in a way, official mixtapes are like underground music, because they're usually sold in offbeat stores or on the streets and aren't normally marketed in mags, or on TV and radio.

Three 6 was underground once... but now alot of the south and the game has that style, and they're BIG time shit now, and their sound in their own work got recognized by all sorts of shit after Hustle and Flow. People and styles can go from underground to pop over time, but like... if SoljiaBoy was putting out his style of music on the internet still, and got no play and almost no pay... he'd be underground, no matter his style.

Fun Crusher Plus was underground... but is Def Jux as an extension of that, underground anymore, or are they just independently successful and recognized with a large and loyal following? Aesop got MTV time for quite awhile there... that style is about as unorthodox as it gets, but at that moment, it was no longer a secret.

Piracy... almost leveled the playing field to where everyone eats or dies the same, except for a handful of major acts who survive year after year as pop icons and media machines. Everyone else? If you can't rock it old school, break it down at a show, hustle and grind with a street team, sell your T Shirts and shit there, then you are dead in the water. Only the strong will survive... like KRS and Buckshot teaming up, like alot of duos coming about, like everyone adapting to mixtape game and constant work ethic - "survival skills" - the collapse of the industry is almost a blessing in disguise as a return to the roots of hip-hop, but then again, now alot of people will shy away and maybe have less ways out of their situation without being able to use music as a lucrative career... in a certain skewed perspective, that's bad for society.
    test
  18. 1ne_mike

1ne_mike New Member

"I'm so ahead of my time, my parents haven't met yet!"

-Big L
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  19. ChimTheEmcee

ChimTheEmcee New Member

Big L didnt have writers.. Game over.
    test
  20. Freebass

Freebass NAH NUDDAH

wow, that is not one of his better lines.......those kinda things are easy, i'm so out this world i have to moon walk to school............he was a great story teller to me.......casualties of a dice game was great.......for punchlines, i gave a lot of black eyes in my extorting days, for real fucking with big l a lot of niggaz was sporting shades.......that is dope...........
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.