Biblical inerrancy

Discussion in 'The Sanctuary' started by M-theory, Nov 10, 2013.

1. M-theory

M-theory Saint Esprit

American invention of the ¿ 20th ? century. Why do people believe this shit? It's worse than the rapture fraud.
    test
  2. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

isnt biblical inerrancy where someone believes the original bible word for word?

did the americans invent that? i dont know, ive seen no evidence that it was the americans.

coulda been i suppose, depends on who invented creationism or one of those other hardcore christian versions
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
    test
  3. TheBigPayback

TheBigPayback God Particle

Because the bible declares itself to be 'trustworthy and true' to be 'inspired'
    and to be the word of God. And its true.
    most suspected 'errors' in the bible are not biblical errors at all. they are from lack of understanding- of language, history and culture, or mistranslation, poor exegesis, preconception, among other things.
    test
  4. TheBigPayback

But since all our bible are copies some of the problems u may find if u dont do some digging is

Dittography - Writing twice what should have been written once. A good example would be writing "latter" instead of "later." "Latter" means nearest the end. "Later" means after something else.

Fission - Improperly dividing one word into two words. Example: "nowhere" into "now here."

Fusion - Combining the last letter of one word with the first letter of the next word. "Look it is there in the cabinet... or Look it is therein the cabinet."
    Haplography - Writing once what should have been written twice. A good example would be "later" instead of "latter." "Later" means after something else. "Latter" means nearest the end.

Homophony - Writing a word with a different meaning for another word when both words have the exact same pronunciation. Meat and meet have the exact same sound but different meanings. Also, there and their and they're are another example.

Metathesis - An improper exchange in the order of letters. Instead of writing "mast," someone writes "mats," or "cast" and cats."
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  5. M-theory

M-theory Saint Esprit

Going from anything the Bible says about scripture to biblical inerrancy is a leap.
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  6. M-theory

M-theory Saint Esprit

Well all our bibles have always been copies. There has never been a complete scroll or codex containing multiple books that didn't contain copies. The autographs have never all been gathered together in a single compilation. Every bible that has ever existed has had the problems you specify. It is clearly impossible for scripture to declare a book that didn't even exist (there wasn't a canonized bible until about 400 years after Christ died) to be trustworthy and all the things you mentioned (it didn't say inerrant). That and the fact that where the bible mentions "scripture" it is talking about the Hebrew Bible/Old Testament. The New Testament is full of letters. These weren't considered scripture at the time they were written, obviously.
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
    • +Rep +Rep x 2
    test
  7. M-theory

M-theory Saint Esprit

Not sure if "invented" is the right word, but it certainly didn't take hold as a doctrine until American evangelists did it. I wouldn't confuse biblical inerrancy with those who interpret the bible literally, although I think they are somewhat related.
    test
  8. TheBigPayback

But we have many overlapping fragments which could very easily peice together the bible in its entirety. specificly new testiment we have like 5000 original copies which is more than we have of any other ancient book that we are sure about. and though they were letters the early church would have regaurded them from the early church forefathers as authority. Canonized or not.
    The oral tradition of old testiment manuscripts alone.. no one had bibles themselves true but the old testiment history and content was well and widely known.
    test
  9. lyricalpriest

lyricalpriest Rap Games Dawson Creek

if NT desnt alligne with OT its a lie. an OT also been altered bc it leaves out ancient judaic mystism
    test
  10. M-theory

M-theory Saint Esprit

What do you mean by original copies? We don't have any of the first writings. I don't want to continue down this line though, since I do agree that the Bible we have today is basically the same as what the originals said. I don't think the originals were inerrant either.
    test
  11. M-theory

M-theory Saint Esprit

Missed this the first time around.

There are so many things wrong with this. Firstly, you haven't met your burden of proof, but I'll skip over that and assume there is some merit in what you are saying. Of course they don't have to be canonized to be seen as authoritative, as scripture.

I want to know who actually considered the letters were authoritative. It's clearly true that eventually Paul's letters became very influential and what became orthodox belief won out. But early Christianity was so diverse. You have groups like the Ebionites (who were Jewish Christians) who would not only rejected Paul as an apostate from Jewish law, but only accepted Matthew as a gospel.

Here's another fact: Paul happened to write his epistles and defended himself against other Christians.

Are those he is defending himself against all going to hear Paul's writings as authoritative? Paul left his legacy, but there's plenty more than Paul's legacy that has yet to be heard by most people.
    test
  12. TheBigPayback

1) Jesus cosigned the old testiment and it's innerency

2) the new testiment was wriitten between 50-90ad with our earliest copies from 130 ad and we have 24,000 copies
    in comparison Platos Tetralogies was written between around 427bc and our earliest copies 900ad and we have a total of 7

3) Paul was rebuking the churches for things they were misunderstanding, traditions they were upholding and straight up myth that was creeping in to the early church, not defending himself.

wether some certain fringe group recieved his writing as scripture or not is irrelevent

his thought process on why he handled himself the way he did around specific groups was

9 Though I am free and belong to no one, I have made myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. 20 To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. 21 To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God’s law but am under Christ’s law), so as to win those not having the law. 22 To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some. 23 I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings.
    test
  13. TheBigPayback

not according to JESUS
    test
  14. Nu'maaN

Nu'maaN Anu'naki, Nuqqa.

pretty much, it shouldn't be confused with biblical "literalism".

i might need to clarify a few things with you memento, surrounding the bible that has been bugging me for years.

:numaan:
    test
  15. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

wait... m theory is memento?

fuck i cant keep up with everybodies name changes lol
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test