Bi-Weekly RSTL Magazine v.3

Discussion in 'The Rapmusic Storytelling/Topical League' started by TaLi RodrigueZ, Nov 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TaLi RodrigueZ

TaLi RodrigueZ Washed Up Rapper...

Table of Contents

I. Introduction
    II. Interview (Vigil)
    III. Inside the mind of a voter v.2
    IV. Voter of the weeks v.4
    V. TaLi's top 10 verses v.4
    VI. RSTL Flashback (The Awards)
    VII. 2005 RSTL Awards
    VIII. Conclusion

test
  2. TaLi RodrigueZ

I. Introduction

You know things are going pretty well when the bi-weekly magazine actually comes out on time! Well, the first thing that stands out to me is that we had 10 battles the first week. Does anyone remember the last time we had 10 battles to vote on in one week? We took a small step backwards on the second week. We had 7 battles to vote on. However, given that it was Thanksgiving week, I’d consider that a success. Between the two weeks, we had 13 former champions signed in. Anybody remember the last time that happened? Too bad a few of you rat bastards didn’t show.

We had some insane match ups: Converse vs. Anaphora, Richard Corey vs. Runna DaMille, L Dogg and Black Jesus vs. myself, D.I.C. vs. Cereal Killer and also against Tekneek, Vigil vs. NinjaKid, etc. The good news is, we have another nice batch of match ups next week.

As for what actually happened; well, Vigil has made his way from 4-3 to the champ match. Richard Corey has continued to impress while moving up the ranks. D.I.C. has quietly made it back to the contender match for the thousandth time. NinjaKid almost made it to his first champ match in a month. Black Jesus shot up the ranks with some impressive victories. 2 time champ Runna DaMille is still hanging around a few wins from a third. Ashen Horse has seemingly come out of nowhere and into the top 10. Anaphora has been dropping absolute gems. Too bad he happened to run into a fresh Converse. Got Life? has busted back into the top 10. Cereal Killer has made a splash in his first two weeks back with some of the more creative pieces seen around these parts in a while. Folks like Grimey Bastard and The Dead Poet are beginning to make some noise. Um, what else? Well, I think that it is. Oh wait, by way of some sick and twisted miracle, I’m still the champion and I’ll be working on my 15th straight win this week against Vigil. Someone please put me out of my misery.

test
  3. TaLi RodrigueZ

II. Interview (Vigil)

***I figured since we had an oldschool dood interviewed last week, that I'd go with someone from the newer class. The person who has impressed me the most has been Vigil, and thus, my interview with him.

TaLi: Ok so let's see. Were you ever in this league under any other names at any given time?
    Vigil: No, never have. I found out about the RSTL through ••••••. I went to that site back in the summer, and they didn't have a successful league and rm did, so I came here.

TaLi: Yeah they've always had trouble for one reason or another keeping it going. I was in it at one point a year or so ago. The reason I asked is because you seem pretty composed. Like, you had a bunch of close losses to good people and a lot of people would have folded it in and signed out but you just chilled out and kept writing and now you're one win from facing the champion in the span of weeks

Vigil: Yeah, I think the reason why certain people have stayed in the rstl for a lot of weeks is because they write just to write, and not to win. I mean, winning the title is great, but the main reason why I joined this league was to improve my writing. A record doesn't mean my shit to me. And all the losses I've have come from the hands of dope writers, like Richard Corey and Nique so I'm not upset.

TaLi: Well you answered my next question. I was gonna ask what it would mean to you if you did win the title? if anything. Would you go around flaunting it in your sig? Rock a medallion that says RSTL CHAMP?
    Vigil: It will just gain my rep, of course and I will gain confidence but it wouldn't make me a better writer, by any means. I would definitely put it in my sig lol, because it's an accomplishment. Not many people can say their 1x rstl champion. But that's long ways from here, You and Black Jesus are both skilled writers. .......But all bullshit aside, if I do win the title, you will see a spinning chain hanging down my neck with the words RSTL Champion in the center.

TaLi: I don't blame you one bit, but I love when people say what you said about the record
    Vigil: yeah.....records are deceiving.

TaLi: Yeah it's easy for me to talk because I've been lucky but if I had ten losses instead I wouldn't think I was any less of a writer. That said if I win this week I might hang it up at 30-4 lol.
    Vigil: I mean.. I can't believe you've only lost 4 matches in 30 weeks. thats amazing

TaLi: Yeah I don't know how in the hell that happened. Probably 6 of those are noshows.
    Vigil: ..still a big accomplishment.

TaLi: ANYWAYS ENOUGH ABOUT ME! lol Um, how long do you see yourself hanging around
    Vigil: ..every week for the next 50 weeks or so. I might sign out every now and then but I want to have 40 wins under my belt by next year around this time or further down the road. And that's because I simply love writing. I will definitely get drained, I don't think I can come up with witty lines and puns every week lol. But thats a challenge. I love this more then school, I put more time into my verses then I do in my essays, lol, its ridiculous

TaLi: haha, Same here @the essays.What about those witty lines and puns? Were you more into regular battles before this? Sort of seems that way to me the way you incorporate that sort of stuff into serious subject matter
    Vigil: .....Yeah. I think battling helped me alot in writing topicals. I gained alot of creativeness from battling, by learning how to write punchines, and doing wordplays. And like you said, I incorporate that into my writing, make the reader think and re-read. I love writing puns and witty lines, I try to have at least four or five in my verses. Plus readers enjoy them.

TaLi: Yeah, I never really learned how to do all of that lol. I rely on simpleness and dumb readers. That is a joke of course lol.
    Vigil: lol..yeah...*dumb readers*.....I enjoy reading their votes, makes me feel real smart. lol

TaLi: LOL...Anything in the league that you think could be better?
    Vigil: ..The league is really picking up right now. The competition is good, the mods are great week in and week out. My only complaint is with the topics, I think there shouldn't be a list of topics. People should able to write whatever they want, I think they will make them more excited to write. But other than that, the RSTL is possibly the greatest league. And that friday due date change was perfect. Plus, mods wouldn't have to spend time every week to rack up topics, and besides, the competitors are always disappointed with the topics

TaLi: Yeah I'm not sure what the hell they expect lol. I don't know. It is an interesting notion. No topics. One of those things we'll have to look into after this year is up. I tend to think that more people would be against it because to me it seems that a lot of writers want that part of it done for them. In other words, if the topic wasn't there to keep them focused, they may never finish lol Or start for that matter
    Vigil: Yeah, I see your point. But alot of writers dont even use those topics to help them write. They somehow incorporate the title with the topical they wrote, and make it seem as if they used the topic. You understand what I mean?...But then again, topics do give a sense of order and discipline

TaLi: Yeah that is pretty much what I do lol
    Vigil:lol..me too, sometimes

TaLi: It's an interesting idea though. Intriguiiiing
    Vigil: Yeah..life with topics lol

test
  4. TaLi RodrigueZ

TaLi: Who's writing do you look forward to reading, if anyones?
    Vigil: People that are in the leauge, or in general?

TaLi: In the league, and in general as well, why not lol
    Vigil: ..There's a few. Rikoshay is one, I re-read his shit over and over again. Nique, she's possibly one of the few writers I actually look forward to read week in and week out. This dude named Mahatma from bboys, he's one of the most skilled writers I think. Richardy Corey, his stories are always top-notch. That's the list. But there are other writers like yourself and some other cats who I like reading..

TaLi: I beat Mahatma once, but he didn't know it was me until afterwards lol..So that wasn't very fair
    Vigil: lol..in what league?

TaLi: WBL Lit league or whatever. Year or two ago.
    Vigil: Who were you in that?

TaLi: It's probably still there if you go back. “Big Figi” lol
    Vigil: nah..bboys is lost..lmao..they lost everything

TaLi: Damn lol
    Vigil: yeah, sad..lmfao..all the archives.

TaLi: I was like 4-1 then I got in an argument with Art. Imagine that, me in an argument.
    Vigil: lol..I was in that league for a bit, if i remember correctly.

TaLi: Most people here probably won't know what in the hell we just said
    Vigil: lol..yeah....

TaLi: When you look at your losses, be honest, you think you won a few of those don't you?
    Vigil: I think I beat I Dunno, and that's a name..lol. I mean, I don't think I was robbed, it was close, but I think I had that. Against Nique, she won fair and sqaure. I didn't come my best, but no excuses. And against Richard Corey,...........I won that shit yooooo. lol, no. I don't think anyone could've beaten his verse that week.

TaLi: Yeah that one was pretty damn good. If you ask me, I should be 33-1 lol
    Vigil: lol.....why not 33-0?

TaLi: Black Jesus handed me my ass back in like 02'. It was a three way with me and Awedishin for the title I think. But I beat Peril Eyes damnit. And I don't think I should have lost to L Dogg and Jook this time around. But I don't whine about it lol. I hate that.
    Vigil: Sure you don’t lol

TaLi: I will mention the shit though! I just mean I didn't complain at the time. Gotta be a good sport or it will carry over and people won't respect you.
    Vigil:...I hate that. The I Gotta be a good sport phrase is overrated

TaLi: haha. If you get robbed, that is one thing. But those battles were close. I can't really complain
    Vigil: yeah. besides, you've won alot of battles that maybe you should'nt have won........no? lol

TaLi:Um…..Let me think…..Nope!
    Vigil: lmao

TaLi: Won them all fair and square lol
    Vigil: lol..aiight, back to me..goddamnit

TaLi: EXACTLY! Do you do any recording or just writing?
    Vigil: just writing. I wanna be a published writer, and a poet in the future. Richard Corey has this forum up in project rhyme called Scryptology or some shit. Basically the idea is to get people on hip hop boards who write topicals to publish their work and I think thats very much possible. I can't flow over a beat worth a shit so I cant record. The way I look at is, if I'm spending alot of my time writing, I might as well get good at it and get some money off it. nahmean? Hopefully my poetry will get me some quick cash on the side, nothing big.

TaLi: Yeah man I feel that. A lot of folks I know don't understand why I'm in a writing league lol. I tell them, well you have to have something to write to record right? But I don't know. I started out writing with no intent on recording anything. But there are definitely some people who could make some money if they knew how to go about doing it. Hopefully Corey can make a difference in that way
    Vigil:Yeah..anything is possible. There are a number of writers on these boards who can break down barriers and get published. Besides, I hate reading that cheesy poetry in magazines in books. Hip Hop influenced poetry/topicals need to be published.

TaLi: How old are you? Unless that is classified information lol. I know Corey is an old ass bastard like me
    Vigil: And I am 16, turning 17 in 2 months. it says it in my profile, lol. no way is it classified. I feel really young compared to you and some other writers in the rstl

TaLi: Damn. Yeah I'm shocked
    Vigil:..lol...

TaLi:Makes it even more impressive what you do..to me anyways
    Vigil: thank you.

TaLi: I'm almost a decade up on you lol
    Vigil: damn..

TaLi: 9 years
    Vigil: you married?
    TaLi: Nah been with my girl for 4 years though. Basically the same
    Vigil: congrats

TaLi: We will eventually. Thank you sir. Well I'm running out of shit to ask you
    Vigil: 25 is far away from here.

TaLi: hahaYeah
    Vigil: you old man lol

TaLi:I know. Enjoy it while you have it
    Vigil: move to florida

TaLi: Nah too many hurricanes. And lightning might strike my walker.
    Vigil: lmao

TaLi: Any last things you want to say to your fellow mates out there or foes
    however you look at it?

*This was the last point I saved and forgot to save his response lol. But he basically said something like, all of you folks suck really hard and before long I’ll be dominating this league unlike anything you all have ever seen before. Or he might have just said something like he enjoyed the league and hoped things kept going well and to look out for him. I don’t quite recall.
    test
  5. TaLi RodrigueZ

III. Inside the mind of a voter v.2

- TekneeK -

I vote for the readability and the vocabs --- with that imagery and how well the rhyme is depicted is significant --- emotional factor is the one element that convinces me who wins and who doesnt. --- I feel like with all this... personal preference is what becomes of winner. I'm not one to be fond of complex vocabulary that doesn't give direction. A rhyme needs to explain the topic thoroughly or give a direction otherwise it remains just as a regular verse.

- D.I.C. -

Flow
    Creativity
    Naration/Diction
    Imagery/Details
    Structure/Format

- Athiest aka the man for going into this much detail -

Voting: The eternal dilemma.
    I’ve never been a battler. Ever since I first registered at a now non-existent rap site back in 2001, I’ve been writing stories. I find there’s nothing more satisfying than an incredible tale that maintains the reader’s attention from beginning to end. Perhaps that is why a year of my life has been dedicated to writing narratives week in week out with the RSTL. For as long as I can remember, voting on battles has always been a heavily debated subject within this league so, if I may, I would like to share with you my approach to voting.

Firstly, when I’m scripting a story, I always aim to include a great deal of character development, a real storyline that is plausible and could happen to any normal person, and a smooth flow and rhyme scheme to hold everything together. I’ll also try my very best to include a twist or two along the way because the unexpected is always fascinating. This is how I write stories. And this is also what I look for when I vote on the battles within this league.

The characteristics of a verse that matter most to me are 1) a believable story that is straightforward to follow and easy to get lost in, 2) good character development so that an individual’s actions, motivations, and thought processes are clearly defined and to illustrate why a character behaves in a certain manner and 3) originality. Flow and rhyme scheme do not top my list, but they can be very helpful. When I read a story I don’t say, “Hold up, this flow is choppy and the rhyme scheme is unimaginative. For that, I’m going to vote against this guy.” That’s not how I operate. This is the RSTL, a story and topical league, and you should never forget that fact. So originality, plot twists and content should always -- always -- be a first priority when either creating or voting. I hope this was of some assistance to the up-and-comers and perhaps even the newly re-entered veterans are looking to shake off the rust (just like me, for example). Thank you for your time.
    test
  6. TaLi RodrigueZ

IV. Voter of the weeks v.4

These past two weeks, we’ve had a lot of solid voters. Any number of people qualify to get this award, but there can only be one. This week, that title is bestowed upon Richard Corey. If he’s ever voted on one of your battles, the reason he is receiving this award is pretty obvious. Very few people breakdown a verse the way he does. It’s nice to know that someone is actually paying some attention to what you are writing and that’s how I feel after reading one of his votes, even if it’s a vote against me. (Previous winners – TaLi, I Dunno, Got Life?)
    test
  7. TaLi RodrigueZ

V. TaLi's Top 10 Verses v.4​

10. Got Life?
    http://board.rapmusic.com/showthread.php?t=944165

Got Life? is one of those doods who when you read his writing, you can’t make any sense of the record. Some weeks are better than others, but more often than not, he drops something that you have no choice but to respect. He is definitely one of the better writers in this league. When everything else catches up, he’ll be hard to beat, if he’s not already lol.

9. Anihilation
    http://board.rapmusic.com/showthread.php?t=945922

Man, I don’t know what to say about this except WOW. First of all, never in my wildest dreams did I think someone would actually use this topic. But then, to actually pull it off is an achievement that shouldn’t be overlooked. If you haven’t read this yet, just read it.

8. Cereal Killer
    http://board.rapmusic.com/showthread.php?t=944169

This was a sparkling example of a short rhyme that had just about everything one could ask for. The flow was there. The rhymes were there. The details were there and the ending was satisfying. If it would have been pitted up against a longer story of similar quality, well, that is the downside of short pieces, but it wasn’t, so, here it is.

7. Vigil
    http://board.rapmusic.com/showthread.php?t=945937

I guess this one was hit or miss for some people. I thought it hit like a sack of potatoes upside my head lol. Every week it seems Vigil steps up his intensity and comes up with something a little more original than the last. I thought the concept he went with in this piece was creative and even a bit risky. That said, it’s good to take chances, especially when you’re good.

6. Athiest
    http://board.rapmusic.com/showthread.php?t=945934

This story was crazy. I love it when something I read makes completely different sense after I’ve finished the entire thing. This is one of those stories. I actually felt a little sad after reading this. The lines were pretty long, but if Athiest can find a way to tighten up the fluidity of the verse he’ll be a crazy force to be reckoned with.

5. Anaphora
    http://board.rapmusic.com/showthread.php?t=944166

Here is a verse that likely got overlooked due to the fact that the opponent no-showed. Something about the way this dood writes really impresses me. It’s simple and to the point but it’s also involved and filling. There is a lot to think about, but you don’t have to think too hard to where it gets annoying. And then the rhymes and flow are just icing.

4. DIC
    http://board.rapmusic.com/showthread.php?t=944170

Someone wrote that this verse didn’t have any flow. I don’t know what in the hell they were talking about. This piece excreted flow from its pores lol. That sounded kind of weird. But anyways, besides that, the execution of this rhyme was outstanding and the rhymes themselves were top notch. There really wasn’t much not to like about this.

3. Black Jesus
    http://board.rapmusic.com/showthread.php?t=944173

I thought this was one of the more interesting submissions in this batch. I won’t give away the story but I do suggest that you definitely check it out if you haven’t. It’s a good example of how to naturally unfold a story. As an added bonus, it flowed wonderfully and the rhymes were typical Black Jesus quality. It’s no surprise why he’s considered one of the best this league has seen.

2. Runna DaMille
    http://board.rapmusic.com/showthread.php?t=945935

This was one of my favorite Runna DaMille verses that I’ve read. If anyone has any questions why this fellow has done what he’s done, look no further. Carrying the rhymes all the way to the end is something that not a lot of folks would even attempt to do let alone succeed. On top of that every other line is one some metaphorical goodness while all pertaining back to the same basic point. I just thought this verse was seriously on point.

1. Richard Corey
    http://board.rapmusic.com/showthread.php?t=945935

Well, I dropped this honor on Richard Corey last time, and while I’d like to spread the wealth a bit more, I can’t. This piece was too good. This is actually the first time I’ve read one of his rhymes and found myself rather impressed with the rhymes themselves. He really stepped that aspect of the piece up to match the other things such as flow, narration, dialogue, and imagery that he already does well. Sorry folks, but this was the best in my opinion.​
    test
  8. TaLi RodrigueZ

VI. RSTL Flashback: The Awards

***Since I couldn't get any old fogies to drop their flashbacks in time for this magazine, I figured I'd take a look at the yearly awards for 2003 and 2004. I have further motives for this as well, but we'll get into that in the next section. For now, just have a look back and reminisce if you were there, and learn a little something if you weren't. (If anything isn't correct, tell me and possibly show me some evidence and I'll fix it).

2003 RSTL AWARDS

MVP Of The Year - InsaneVillain

Rookie Of The Year - Richard Corey

Best MOD Of 2003 - Omen

Peoples Champ Of 2003 - Richard Corey, Dah Lohner

Best Voter Of 2003 - Cigma

Best Flow Of 2003 - WW3

Most Creative Of 2003 - InsaneVillain

Most Over-Rated Of 2003 - L Dogg

Most Improved Of 2003 - Talent

Best Match-Up Of 2003 - Jowelz vs. IV

Most Emotional Of 2003 - Vern, Poetiquette

Most Comedic Of 2003 - Awedishin

Biggest Surprise Of 2003 - L Dogg

Biggest Disappointment Of 2003 - Antagon Leaving

Biggest Accomplishment Of 2003 - L Dogg Winning The Tournament

Most Dominant Of 2003 - Vern, InsaneVillain

Biggest Fall Off Of 2003 - Firespitta,Tek

Most Consistent Of 2003 - Talent

Top 10 Of 2003

1. Vernacular
    2. Richard Corey
    3. InsaneVillain
    4. Jowelz
    5. WW3
    6. L Dogg
    7. Tha Talent
    8. Dah Lohner
    9. Cigma
    10. Vadik

2004 RSTL AWARDS

Verse of the Year - Vern Acular (dunno which)

Creative Writer of the Year - Dicenyaeye

Consistent Writer of the Year - Talent

Writer of the Year - Vern Acular

Breakthrough Writer of the Year - Dicenyaeye

Biggest Surprise - Noib Da Mutt

Biggest Letdown - Vern Acular Retiring

Hype Man of the Year - TekNeeK

Match of the Year - Vern Acular vs. 'that biter dood'

Beef of the Year - Mac Flow vs. Navara

Biggest Achievement of the Year - Vern Acular Winning Titles 7X

MOD of the Year - Talent

Biggest EGO of the Year - Atreyu

Under-Rated Writer of the Year - Edward Lake

Over-Rated Writer of the Year - Infinite Truth

No-Show King of the Year - I aM Drunk

Champ of the Year - Vern Acular

RSTL’s Top 5 of 2004

1. Tha Talent
    2. Vern Acular
    3. Richard Corey
    4. MC4SiGHT
    5. Awedishin

Sexiest Members of the Year
    USER & Mac Flow​
    test
  9. TaLi RodrigueZ

VII. 2005 RSTL AWARDS

Well, here is the deal. I looked at the old awards categories, kept the good ones, scrapped the bad ones, and added some of my own. This years will be quite a bit more comprehensive than in years past. What I need to know is, whether you all want to nominate a number of people for each category, then take those who have been nominated the most and have a final voting on each, orrrrrrrrrr, would you all rather just vote for who you think should win each category and the winner will just be whoever gets voted for the most? I don't mind doing it either way. I think the first way would be more fun, the only question I have is whether yall' will take the time to nominate 2 or 3 people for each category. Let me know one way or the other, and I will set up whatever thread it is; either a nominations thread or a voting thread. LET ME KNOW THOUGH. IF YOU READ THIS FAR, YOU BETTER RESPOND TO THIS IF YOU RESPOND IN THIS THREAD AT ALL!!!!!!
    test
  10. TaLi RodrigueZ

VIII. Conclusion

Um, ok, let's see. Thanks to everybody who showed up the past two weeks. Thanks to everybody who voted like they were supposed to. Please get back at me with whether yall' want to nominate or just straight up vote on the awards. Oh yeah, one more thing, REALLY IMPORTANT!!! We'll be taking a little break the last two weeks of this year for sure. My question to you all is, would yall rather have two more weeks starting now, and then have a three week break, or would yall' rather have three more weeks starting now, and then have a two week break. I think we should go ahead and do three more and take the last two weeks off. But anyways, lemme know.​
    test
  11. Got Life?

Got Life? Resident Megalomaniac

Mag looks good...props on that Tali...I appreciate the kind words...as far as the voting for awards I think nominations could work if the mods just set up a deadline...and as for the how many weeks to do I would personally find it easier to do this week and then 2 more, not 3 being that finals are coming up and all...on a different note though I figure I'm always writing something so I doubt it being an issue for me...
    test
  12. Anaphora

Anaphora was here

Booooooo. Get Mac's lazy 'working 60 hours a week' ass to help you with the damn mag... I say that like it even matters. haha. I'll be gone before the next one comes out anyway I'm sure... Glad that Annihilation's Dr. Pepper story made it in, funny shit, wouldn't have seen it otherwise.
    test
  13. Atheist

Atheist Storyteller

good mag.

glad to see you are consistently putting the effort in.

congrats.
    test
  14. Annihilation

Annihilation CLAUS HOUSE

nice mag, thanks for the props. enjoyed the in-depth with vigil, nice to learn about up and coming cats in the league. thanks for the nod Anaphora.

As to the voting, I only been back like 3 weeks so I won't be voting, but I definitely think nominations will ultimately benefit everyone because when voting without nominees its easy to forget some noteworthy cats for every section, whereas with them in place it prevents situations like "oh shit, I totally forgot about X person's battle vs. Y, that was the dopest" or whatever.

I'm down for the 3 more weeks, then 2 break.
    test
  15. Mac Flow

Mac Flow Die

word dope mag again Tali, not much assistance from my end, but I do what I can consistenly every week...lol so ya know

shit I couldnt even show vs Ash and had to half ass a 10 min verse against Vigil....blah, I hate time restrictions
    test
  16. TeKneeK

TeKneeK The Heart and Soul of RM

tali - RSTL MVP and MOD of the year?!?!?!?

kinda sounds legit to me... ;)
    test
  17. Richard Corey

Richard Corey battle like a savage

viciousness...sorry I couldn't help out, some stuff came up...if you want I can send you something by week's end...
    test
  18. Vigil

Vigil Im infinite consciousness

*This was the last point I saved and forgot to save his response lol. But he basically said something like, all of you folks suck really hard and before long I’ll be dominating this league unlike anything you all have ever seen before. Or he might have just said something like he enjoyed the league and hoped things kept going well and to look out for him. I don’t quite recall

^lol.....lies.

anyways, i think we should have a nomination thread..and whoever gets the most votes or whatever..

oh and dope mag.
    test
  19. Ninja Kid

Ninja Kid AKA Jae Keeps

For the awards i think the first way would work best...

...Oh, and good mag...
    test
  20. Cereal_Killer

Cereal_Killer no ESCAPE

test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.