BET Banns Little Brother's "Lovin It" Video..,Its not relevant to their target market

Discussion in 'Audio Emcee Hook Ups' started by P R I M O, Aug 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. P R I M O

P R I M O Shout out to Autotune

With Little Brother's The Minstrel Show hitting stores next week, SOHH.com has heard BET is refusing to air the album's first video, "Lovin' It" because it is "too intelligent for the BET audience."

The video begins with a delivery truck dropping boxes labeled "gangsta," "backpackers," "earthy" and "icy" onto a street. The rest of the clip mostly sees LB and Joe Scudda, who is also featured on the song, performing in front of a capacity crowd. The clip also pokes fun at the Hip-Hop subgenres by depicting overly exaggerated backpacker and gangsta characters in the audience. "Lovin' It" also jokingly features typical scenes with Big Pooh sitting next to champagne-sipping models in the venue's VIP section while LB's entourage pop bottles. The video concludes with a car running through the boxes dropped on the street earlier.

The statement of the video being "too intelligent for the BET audiece" was discussed recently on Columbia University's college radio station, 89.9, on the "Squeeze Radio" show. On the show they said the statement was made verbatim by the program director from BET to one of the Atlantic records label reps. This information was obtainmed directly from LB's 9th Wonder.

SOHH.com contacted several officials at BET, including their vice president Stephen Hill, their program director, and publicist, Michael Llewellen who offered this response.

"It's not true, not in that context. BET reserves the right to show or not to show music videos of any type based on the network's own standards and decision-making processes," Llewellyn told SOHH.com.

When questioned further as to whether the words "too intelligent for the BET audience" was used, Llewellen did not respond. Atlantic Records has refused to comment.

The LB incident doesn't mark the first time BET has allegedly banned underground artists from its video rotation. In December 2004, SOHH.com reported that BET snubbed De La Soul's "Shopping Bags" video and The Beatnuts' "Find Us (In the Back of the Club)" clip featuring Akon.

In a meeting with BET heads, De La reportedly said BET told them they "weren't relevant to the BET audience" while The Beatnuts were told that "BET doesn't break new artists." The Beatnuts had previously garnered heavy rotation for videos like "Off The Books" from 1997's Stone Crazy, "Watch Out Now" from 1999's A Musical Massacre and "No Escapin This" off 2001's Take It or Squeeze It.

The network has also been under fire from the black community for cutting its news coverage to make room for more videos in the past few years. Recently, the community has been frustrated with BET for its failure to cover the Hurricane Katrina's crisis.
    test
  2. Maurkadi

Maurkadi Well-Known Member

this is old
    test
  3. Troll

Troll New Member

This has been known for awhile.

Pretty pathetic man.
    test
  4. P R I M O

So readin this... as an artist from the South...

How does this make you feel?

Do you think that people are hating on what's out right now because of nothing? Don't you think the criticism is bigger than just the beats and hooks? Nah... it's about the way our generation is being portrayed and exploited. It's really not about the Content because NWA's content was just as worst. It's about the image and the way people are being played. It's like BET wants to make it seem like every young black person are like these videos. So when an artist comes out with somethin thats not like the usual, they bann it. Why? Because music is a powerful force and music can guide the mind more than you think. If the average person that watches BET is under 18 years old... all they will see is what gets showed. So if they see an artist come out with a different approach, they might open their ears and start to think for themselves. Then they won't be brainwashed anymore, they will become more free.

All this exploitation in Hip Hop is just a small part of the real struggle and the real shit goin on out in these streets. Mothafuckas is gettin shitted on in every ghetto in America, and the Music is not pushin people to want to change. The music is pushin to keep our generation dumb and snappin our damn fingaz.

This shit is bigger than South music... if you dont see the seriousness of BET banning "non-market acts" then you need to wake up my nigga.

"It's bigger than Hip Hop" - Dead Prez

real talk
    test
  5. P R I M O

And yeah I know this is old...

but I posted this because Streets was like "for real?" in the other thread. So I figured if he ain't know about this maybe some more people might not have known either...
    test
  6. Maurkadi

Maurkadi Well-Known Member

yeah they hit up alot of people on this... shit another network need to be brought out for groups like little brother bone thugs the roots etc... cause as long as its just BET and MTV... motherfuckas gonna think thats all there is out there and these stations will do whatever they can to make sure artist like these dont exist...

hosts like joe clair and big lez need to be on another station that plays that real shit... fuck a BET and MTV
    test
  7. Dely

Dely In The Trap

everything is a business .. thats all im sayin
    test
  8. DjayCasper

DjayCasper Eh Fuck It.

are u sayin u wanna fight me dely?

are you?
    test
  9. Dely

Dely In The Trap

damn right
    test
  10. DjayCasper

DjayCasper Eh Fuck It.

son dont make me run away.
    test
  11. Skrybe SK

Skrybe SK Guest

To this day I REFUSE to believe this is true. I know bet is bullshit but this dont even make sense to me.

They definitely played that old Roots and Raphael Saadiq joint which has pretty much the same theme. They even play it on the countdown shows still.
    test
  12. P R I M O

But at what point does business get sour?

I mean honestly, White America is gonna fuck with whatever comes out of the hood just because...

So who's really in charge of the product? The labels or The Hood?

Whatever the streets fuck with - the Labels are gonna eat up. But trust, the labels would rather fuck with the shit that's out now vs. the Public Enemy Black Power era.

Yeah they had to put a stop to that shit quick...

If the black power era came back tomorrow, the labels would shit their pants and say no not again. Right now the labels are basically like we need to keep this shit as un-intelligent as possible. So lets play Ying Yang twins all day and never let Mos Def or Little Brother touch the BET screen.

Hip Hop is the only code for communicating with the people and these mothafuckas basically drove a wedge up in our shit and is now using it against us.

Business is Business I suppose...but would you rather be part of the problem, or part of the solution?

I wish I could talk to T.I or Young Jeezy on some real shit. Let them know the power they have with their music and how much change they could make. They could be Great voices in our generation but instead they will only be remembered for being "The King" or "The Snowman".

Music is Power
    test
  13. TheFrogFather

TheFrogFather aka Seenz

I agree, see while rest of yall are crying for justice, me and Dely getting that paper.
    test
  14. P R I M O

Gettin that paper? But the bad part about that is I get more paper with my 9-5 then half of these rappers runnin around sellin themselves out not makin no money. I see these niggas in my neighborhood actin lke they superstars takin pics on their album covers holdin up 223 dollars like thats big shit.

The people I'm talkin about are the ones who suck at rappin, no lyrical content, no nothin... just all gimmick. They make garbage ass music and still dont get paid for it. But they THINK they are gonna get paid for doin it, and thats the funny part. But at the same time its sad because they makin themselves look stupid for nothin...
    test
  15. 7thHorseMen

7thHorseMen New Member

yeah but u got to remember that some artists can't even pick what will be they lead single

an A&R and other people in the record business make the decisions on whats going to be the lead single.

And alot of times rappers do whatever they say, because they have to.

So you might have somebody like T.I wanting this song for his lead single , but they pick another one, and he can't really do shit because he's not calling the shots.
    test
  16. Atom React

Atom React aka JAYO

lol @ what they told beatnuts
    are u serious
    test
  17. P R I M O

basically...
    test
  18. streets

streets New Member

in more "breaking" news BET Plays Dead Prez - HipHop video and MORE RECENTLY "hell yeah" video....... and they also played either stic man or m-1's solo joints on there too......

anyway your arguement is out the door......... if people dont want to hear it why are you going to lose viewers to play "real" hiphop.

like damn that cherry coke's sellin out the stores but naw we'll put this coke that nobody wants on the shelf instead of the cherry coke.

good fuckin idea
    test
  19. P R I M O

my argument is out the window? are you serious?

but then again, I can't expect YOU personally to understand anything I said in any of these posts...

the message wasn't for you, that's pretty obvious...
    test
  20. streets

streets New Member

So when an artist comes out with somethin thats not like the usual, they bann it.

false

The music is pushin to keep our generation dumb and snappin our damn fingaz.

what was the early 90's, to make everybody be a gangster?

i'd rather have people snappin their fingers than trying to be some super thug..

shit yeah "murder was the case"

gin and juice

yeah thats way better than snap yo fingers
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.