Best used cars to buy under $20 000

Discussion in 'Car & Audio' started by knowmad, May 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. knowmad

knowmad New Member

Hey everyone, what cars do u think are reliable/stylish/ballin under $20 000?

besides the civic, and what was your first ride ever? :attitude:
    test
  2. Mellow Madness

Mellow Madness aKa sTaTiK

civic is my first ride.. 98 civic. still have it.. and for 20G's theres to many cars to choose from
    test
  3. Offbeat

Offbeat New Member

my first ride was a benz 190 e from 1985

a whalloping 120hp @ 6000rpms.... shit could get up there though, i took the bastard doin 100, the car felt like it was gonna break. still a good value, they make a 5 spd sportline edition with a 160hp v6, which is good considering the car weighs nothing... bought for $500, sold for $1400 on ebay lol...

my 2nd ride was a 1987 nissan stanza.. shit was slooow.. i think it had 97 hp? fastest i ever took it was 75 and it was screaming... shit sucked. good for a winter beater though, bought for $500, gave to my sister.

my current ride is a 1994 mitsubishi 3000gt... the car is fast, a nice 222hp @ 6000rpm. and 205 tq @ 4500... only problem is i'm making less due to my airfilter, it's actually interfereing.. lol. but it's about to be sold.. bought for $4500.

next car? who knows.. i was about to get another halted production v6 jap car (supra, z, etc) then i switched to an awd/ or turbo dsm... but i see a dodge stealth for $3700.. and i'll tell you, i love the car. i don't know what to do.

as for you

20k?

speed - supra tt
    all around - vr-4
    just a kick ass quality car - altima...
    test
  4. Extension

Extension PLZ DIE THX

^your a fag.
    test
  5. SlaveNameIsBob

SlaveNameIsBob Massa luvs me

First of all for 20k, why buy used? You can have a new car with warranty for 20k. Shit for performance I would get a Srt4.. for everyday driving a Mazda 3, and for all around fun car, although you would never find for under 20 a mini cooper S.

As for used, anything that is 2001 and up I would buy, like a 1.8t GTi, GS-R integra, Lude SH, blah blah blah.
    test
  6. SlaveNameIsBob

SlaveNameIsBob Massa luvs me

WHO the fuck is that stupid to sell a Supra TT for under 20k. Not going to happen, unless it has 190k miles on the bitch, even then I find it hard to believe you would sell it for 20k. Soo get that car out of your mind, cause you wouldn't even be able to afford insurance on the car.

All around Vr-4... please, stop lieing to the kid. That car is a fucking pig, that is not as quick as the other "super imports" i.e., 300zxtt, rx7tt, and supra. If you want all around you get a Supra TT. Handles better, quicker, and faster than the vr4. But again, you will not find one for that cheap.

Altima is a good used ride. Maxima is a good one as well.
    test
  7. SEIK

SEIK New Member

You can get a 96 eclipse for like 2500 and damn just think of tha possibilities you would still have 17,000 to beef up the paint, body, interior, and the engine. When you were done shit would be pretty fuckin ill!
    test
  8. trifle

trifle New Member

used maxima
    test
  9. Offbeat

Offbeat New Member

i see supra tt's for under 20k alot

usually their mk3's with swaps

but sometimes i see 93.5's tts for 20k... either way...

vr-4 is a pig. a fast pig. tell maybach owners how their 4.9 0-60 car's are pigs as well...

vr4's handle better than any supra tt, awd, aws, kills them on g's...

regardless..
    test
  10. iLoveEbay

iLoveEbay New Member

VR-4? I believe he said "something reliable"...

My vote is to go with a used 5spd Maxima, you'll love that shit. Checkout maxima.org.

My boy is selling a '98 GSX with an upgraded turbo for like 13k. That shit fucking halls ass.
    test
  11. trifle

trifle New Member

and how severe is the damage?

no, it's not that fast, it's faster than a civic and many base cars, that does not make the car fast.... and the maybach's have the numbers to back it up, you don't run 4.9 0-60s, so why even bother postin the stats for the other car??? that was pretty dumb

that's why EVERYONE wants a vr4, and why they're such a staple on the tracks right?
    test
  12. Offbeat

Offbeat New Member

vr4s are high 13 cars on stock boost, and because of awd, many people can actually get them to do that

add a boost controller and you're looking at low 13s

i know of many many many vr4s, stealth rt tts that do high 12s and quite a few that are low 12s

the only "slow" vr 4 is the spyder, which weights over 4000lbs, and even that is a low 14 car.................

i dont know how yall hate vr4s but love civics, tegs, etc

whatever floats ur boat
    test
  13. Tigre

Tigre Ax Me About Ebonics

Hmmm, I feel we need to clear the air here.

The Spyder is 4000lbs.
    The Vr4 is still a low 14 sec car. With some hitting high 13's stock. You have to understand that doesn't make them that sweet. A stock STi would have a nice time with a VR4 from a dig and a roll.

From a roll a VR4 is nothing to worry about. I could take a G35 coupe and bust a VR4 on the highway.

Boost controller will not net you a low 13 sec pass. If so, then a Boost controller will net mid 12's to a Supra TT.

Have to call BS here. First, there aren't that many Supra's sooo you can see alot for sell under 20. Also, MK3's don't count cause they aren't even Supra TT's. They are single turbo cars not twin. Next 93.5 TT for 20k means high miles and still you don't see barely any for sale.

0-60 times are of course good for a Vr4 since it is a AWD car, yet like all AWD cars, give me a 1/4 mile and I will run you down at the end. Also, only from 98 and up did they EVER get a 4.9 0-60. Because before then they netted 0-60 of 5.6 to 5.4. Also, they were 14.4 sec cars in the quarter. These are some of the reasons, why this car is nothing to brag about, as well as it not being reliable, well try adding 600hp to that engine and see where it gets you, that and it is a Mitsubishi car.

Although my shit is biased about Supra TT's, proof is in the pudding. Look at the number of HP on the engines, look at the longevity of the I-6 engine, look how many run high amount of boost and are reliable as hell. Sure the Fast and the Furious brought the name back to the public, but the style, performance capabilities and
    the death of the brand is what makes them have incredible resale values no other high performance import can match, BESIDES the Skyline.
    test
  14. Polar

Polar Rep Levels Are Ghey

I think that about sums it up.

Personally if I was looking for somthing under 20K thats "reliable, stylish, and ballin" (I didnt see "fast, quick, powerful" in there) I'd be looking at late 90's-early 00's Acura's. TL's, CL's, RL's. Or maybe some older Bimmer's.
    test
  15. Offbeat

Offbeat New Member

Actually, I think most people with performance in mind can make their VR-4's hit the high 13's stock. The slowest VR-4 I've seen, stock was 14.1, and there are exceptions, a 14.6 pass was made by someone with no 3rd gear... As far as fast stock passes, I see it all the time. I think the VR-4 is "sweet" for many reasons, not just the speed. It has AWD/AWS, it's optioned out, has alot of potential, and in MY opinion - the 3000GT is the best looking import (as far as the "race" look goes).

I don't think so, as far as your G35 statement goes... I've ridden in a Stealth RT TT and a G35 coupe, and the RT TT was faster. You're forgetting the VR-4 still has a stronger motor... and the weights of the car are similar.

The boost controller, I know of a VR-4 with stock turbos, lightly modded, but turned the boost up to 17psi i beleive and had a best of 12.8 @ 106 with that setup. Now that car has 13b's and does 12.3's.

The other day I saw an MK3 with a MK4 TT motor in it. The engine blew so they just put a new engine in it.

Regardless, anyone who makes a VR-4 do a 14.4 should not be driving the car. Period. That's bullshit man, I've never heard of that, or seen it happen. In fact, I see VR-4s with huge turbos pullung on EVOs, C5's, etc all from a roll. The VR-4 is a fast car, and that's that. I mean, there are Civics that do 8's - does that make Civics fast?

Resale value?

99 VR-4's cost at minimum $30,000, and you're extremely lucky to find one like that/

A 99 base 167 soch engine, those sell for almost 9k...
    test
  16. Tigre

Tigre Ax Me About Ebonics

Man you make it really hard to believe you when you talk. Fine how many times have you been at the track? How many have you SEEN run those times. Stop internet racing man. Shit I see civics on boards run 14.8 with a stock SI, but fuck if I believe the shit, when I don't see it happen at the numerous amounts of tracks I goto.

Anyway even if we were "mag racing" check the stats on a Vr-4 from 93-98 and tell me the different times it gets.

Umm ok, how do they even nearly weight the same. See you know nothing about drag racing, a difference of a 100lbs is such a great difference it can cost you tenth's of seconds in the quarter.. which means carlengths. I will take that challenge I know many ppl that have BPU GST's, that have eaten VR4's on the highway. You do know that AWD drive cars on the highway loose their advantage don't you. Why do you think ppl want to race a STi on the highway and not from a dig.

Oh yeah, SHOW ME WHERE A VR4 RUNS 12'S WITH JUST A BOOST CONTROLLER. If that were the case why do so many of your VR4 owners need hollowed pre-cats, a fuel pump, injectors, a manual boost-controller and a fuel controller. Well this is what i got from the forums that I visit. Some don't need all those mods, but you need more than a BC, unless you have a factory freak.

And your point is? I have seen a RX7 with a LS1 engine in it. Anyway that is a fucking nutty idea to put a 2jz-gte in a mk3. When you can just build up the bottom end and add a larger Garret turbo on it. Anyway that is besides the point. The point I clearly made was that there are Mk3's DO NOT COME WITH TT.

Bullshit, he says.. ok Funny how I don't own a 3kgt but I know as much if not more than you. You do know that in 91-93 the vr4 only had 300hp w/ 5spd and ran the times I have mentioned. Not until late model 93-94 and up did they get a boost of 320hp. That is why your times vary.

Anyway, funny how you said you see Big turbo vr-4's pull Evo's and c5's. LMAO, shit big turbo Supra's pull GSX-1000 bikes, SC c5's and a whole nother class of modified cars. Sad that a Vr-4 can't pull a Evo STOCK, but from such an extrodinary car as you claim it to be I have to upgrade the turbo to pull cars that my old car did stock.

A civic that runs 8's is no longer a civic. Also, running high 13's is NOT FAST. My cousin's car can run high 13's with a chip and downpipe in his GTI. When you run low13's and high 12's you are fast. Otherwise anything higher than you are just quick.

Man go check to see what a RX7TT and a Supra TT cost. And since they bringing them over the pond to the US in 98 then I will spot you a year.

Time to do your homework man. Even Road and Track, or was it motor Trend that called the VR-4 the beginners man car and the next step up is the RX7/Supra.

Bottom Line, yeah the Vr4 is a nice looking car, and decent package for their price. Yet, they are not even the top 2 in the high performance imports that came out at that time. They are still a nice way back of the Supra and RX7, and there is some facts and not opinions.
    test
  17. Offbeat

Offbeat New Member

look dude im not gonna argue with you...

i know of vr-4's with the capabilities i talked about

of course im going to be biased against it, i mean, i love the 3000gt lineup as it is and the vr-4 is basically the fastest stock model they made... just as you like supras..

just so you know though, the 93 vr4 had a 6 spd, not a 5 spd... and vr-4's will generally eat gst's gsx's once they get up to 120 simply because of the gearing.. no doubt though that dsm's can pull on them on high speeds - cheifly a reason im considering a dsm for my next car.

the vr-4 is by no means a slow car though... its all relative though, you say low 13s is where cars get fast. duh, you had an 11 sec supra. when i got my 3kgt, i was thinking it was incredibly fast, being since it had over 100hp more than my fastest car before... now, after riding in some other cars (stealth rt tt/ tt conversion base 3kgt/ mk3 supra with a big ass turbo 600rwhp (went SIDEWAYS from a 60 roll)/ 2 dr g35) - it just feels like it has pep

to me, 13's are fast, 14's are quick, low 15's are peppy, mid 15's to low 16 are regular cars, anything above is slow

12's and below are just blazing speed....
    test
  18. Polar

Polar Rep Levels Are Ghey

I think the 3KGT/Stealth's are ugly cars regardless.
    test
  19. Offbeat

Offbeat New Member

^ lol

ur entitled to your opinion... but "ugly" is a little harsh

i used to not like how they looked as well
    test
  20. De'yon

De'yon Hustle Payper On the Beat

for 20k I'd go with like a 94 mercedes S500 if ya wanna look pimp go with a sedan and if ya want spead get the v10 coupe thatle run ya bout 10-20k depending on the owner and mialage.

if you are a racer grab an s500 v10 coupe and kill all the weekend racers and still be able to seat back seat passenger comfortably
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.