Best Laptops For Producing?

Discussion in 'Audio Producers Discussions' started by -Caliban-, Mar 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stackin$$$

Stackin$$$ New Member

10 Bucks he had something cheap....

My boy has the 12 Inch PowerBook G4 (keep in mind...no upgrades or nothin...just the stock model), and he can run Reason 3, and Logic rewired with multiple instruments loaded in both...

No hiccups or nothin, it runs smooth.
    test
  2. Stackin$$$

Stackin$$$ New Member

Dre, Kanye and Quik have MILLION DOLLAR STUDIOS and most of the time, their clients are willing to COME TO THEM. So in their case, what would be the point of having a Laptop?

But for your average 'on-the-grind' producer......your going to different studios every day...sometimes to make a beat and vibe with the artist...or just track somethin out. This is where a laptop comes in handy.
    test
  3. J-A-B-B-A-R

J-A-B-B-A-R Knick Hater

Sorry, that's small time, my guy got his own studio and he didn't have a cheap laptop at all, its just once that hard disk space starts getting limited, you start having problems.

Ha, well I ain't no fuckin 'on the grind' producer, and if you are actually trying to sell, then you best be learning how to mix and leave the mastering for the engineer because if you're gonna send ur shit out to be professionally mixed, u won't be making much unless ur selling beats for Gz.

Would it kill you if you learnt how to mix? Nah it will just help you enhance your beat making skills. I hate how you one-dimensional wanna be producers start talking shit, when you don't know the half about the game. I'm working on my own album now, and although I'm not mixing it all by myself, I'm getting it professionally mixed and I'm there on every session my engineer works on it, that's how it works. Because at the same time for cats that come record at my studio, they want their shit decently mixed. If all you're gonna do is make a beat and let someone else mix it, I'm sorry but you shouldn't be making beats. Mixing is one of best parts of making a beat and at the same time can be a bitch, but after the pain comes the pleasure.

Pz
    test
  4. Stackin$$$

Stackin$$$ New Member

lmao...this right here proves you know nothing.
    test
  5. Xabiton

Xabiton RM Veteran

*dies*
    test
  6. Xabiton

Xabiton RM Veteran

got damn next thing u know hes gonna block the word Rap.
    test
  7. Xabiton

Xabiton RM Veteran

co sign thats why i stopped producin on my laptop it just ate up all my resources. I got it in 03 and by 05 it was time to get a new one tho i still use the laptop from time to time.
    test
  8. Xabiton

Xabiton RM Veteran

find me a external version of a delta 44, a 0404 or even a 1212m. Most cards now are made for laptops but what about hard drives, monitors, ram and small shit like that. yea u can go external but that only goes so far. if i want it for a tower i just buy a new card with more inputs and away i go. Laptops are good but towers are still better.
    test
  9. Stackin$$$

Stackin$$$ New Member

Why would you want an Delta 44, 0404, or 1212m when u could get a M-Audio Firewire 410 with better converters, more Ins and Outs and even Pres? (for the same price)

You can always get a USB or Firewire HD...most people use them anyways regardless of whether they have a desktop or laptop.

The Power Book G4 if I'm not mistaken has dual outputs so you can hook up to 2 LCD or CRT Monitors, for a "triple" display.

You can get RAM for your laptop just the same as you would for your Desktop/Tower...not sure what you're talking about there.

You probably had problems with your laptop you got in 03, because it was a cheap piece of sh*t.

Bottom line, a laptop offers everything a Desktop does, except at a slightly higher price. But with the space you save, and portability you gain, it's well worth it for any producer who wishes to incorporate software into his arsenal.
    test
  10. F Major

F Major Anti Gear Lust

you cant buy a ford focus and expect it to run like a porsche
    test
  11. -Caliban-

-Caliban- New Member

I have a large external HD, that isn't the problem. I also have the E-MU 1616M so that's not a problem either.
    test
  12. Xabiton

Xabiton RM Veteran

lol @ the 410 havin better converters than any of the emus. thats so far off. thats the only thing the emus are good for is those converters. and u asked for any card in which u can get a pci version and a usb/firewire version of and I gave u 3 examples. and ur not gonna get more ins than the deltas thats all their useful for. anyway the laptop was average it was special or nothin just a normal laptop that run great when i first got it and started actin up when i started makin beats on it after awhile and ive seen others with laptops have the same problem. Only laptops ive seen w/o any issues run for more than 2 years are Macs and the Sony Viao.
    test
  13. Stackin$$$

Stackin$$$ New Member

Yea u might be right about the converters. I musta got that mixed up. But the Deltas have more ins than your gonna get? JMizzle gots a Emu 1616M for his laptop...that has 16 ins and outs.

My boy has had his Powerbook for damn near 4 years...and it still runs fine. As long as you defragment, clean it out regularly, keep it in good surroundings (Right tempature...No smoke etc), and ain't rough with it, you shouldn't have any problems.
    test
  14. Stackin$$$

Stackin$$$ New Member

What do yalll think of that MacBook Pro (succesor to the powerbook g4)?

It's supposed to be 4X faster than the PBG4, and it's only $500 more.
    test
  15. F Major

F Major Anti Gear Lust

Until they get all the software compatible it runs like a G3. Secondly, in terms of the E-Mu shit, if you know about design, the E-mu shit is a gimmick because the E-mu doesnt have the same PLL(clock) as a Pro Tools HD system, and ADCs/DACs are not the only things that determines the sound quality.
    test
  16. the_P.L.O

the_P.L.O Cunt

i'd have to say buying an ••••• laptop to make music on righ tnow would be a massive mistake

the g4's are vastly underpowered - if you're just using it to track your beats out (done with hardware), then fine, but if you expect to be running a load of softsynths and the like, forget it

the mac book pro's are AMAZING, but the software just hasn't been converted yet

jumping in either boat means a whole world of hurt, for the short term at least (or the long term, if you decide to get a g4 powerbook. in fact, they don't even sell the 15inch g4 powerbook anymore, so you can't).
    test
  17. J-A-B-B-A-R

J-A-B-B-A-R Knick Hater

You don't want your computer to die from second hand smoke now.

Bottom line is if you're a producer, ideally you'd want a tower.

Stackin: The only thing you must be stackin is pennies son. I seriously advise you to learn how to mix, it'll make you popular with the MCs and maybe one day you can open a studio and make more money by learning how to mix.

But on the real, I never thought mixing was so intense until I started overseeing my album, and only then I realized that it's all about the damn mixing and that's where the money's at if you add it to dope production.

Pz
    test
  18. Stackin$$$

Stackin$$$ New Member

Just listened to your soundclick. jack of all trades...master of none.
    test
  19. J-A-B-B-A-R

J-A-B-B-A-R Knick Hater

Newsflash, none of the shit on there is relevant its all over a year old most of that shit is from 2003 when i first started son. Nice try.

Pz
    test
  20. kid848

kid848 Ya Boi Honesty

...but why would you buy all this external shit?... If you have 15 portable items...they aren't exactly portable anymore...

And Tower>Laptop period... you'll get more shit in your tower...

and towers are so small nowadays anyway...
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.