Best Laptops For Producing?

Discussion in 'Audio Producers Discussions' started by -Caliban-, Mar 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -Caliban-

-Caliban- New Member

Anyone know what brand makes the best laptops for producing? Or, just best in general? I'm thinking I'm probably gonna need a better laptop in the future cause this one struggles to run two instances of Proteus and the RAM is maxed out at 1.0 GB.
    test
  2. F Major

F Major Anti Gear Lust

powerbook G4.
    test
  3. F Major

F Major Anti Gear Lust

but proteus wont run on it
    test
  4. -Caliban-

-Caliban- New Member

Well, Proteus isn't that serious, but I'm gonna be wantin to be runnin more stuff, if I start composing, with the computer so I want to make sure that it can handle it.

I know this is probably a stupid question but, do racks take up any CPU? As in, will my computer be affected if I wire my MIDI through a Fantom rack?
    test
  5. kid848

kid848 Ya Boi Honesty

... Towers get you more bang for you buck...

you need to get custom build either way though...

But first you need to know... Mac vs. Windows...

I believe you use FL...

so the G4 is out...
    test
  6. DJ NoNseNse

DJ NoNseNse Nonsense Productions

Im considering that but what makes it better then a dell laptop. Some of the dell laptops can get up to 2 gigs of ram and run on dual processors also.
    test
  7. F Major

F Major Anti Gear Lust

both from an investment point of view and a performance point of view powerbooks are just more efficient with resources, where as your dell will have all this power, and the more programs and BS you put on there it will get slower and you will wonder where your power went. On the investment tip, look at it like buying a car, certain cars just have a terrible resell value and tend to depreciate severely as soon as you drive away with it.
    test
  8. Stackin$$$

Stackin$$$ New Member

A Tower isn't too portable, now is it?

I'd suggest a tower to an mixing engineer, not a producer.

J Mizzle, no Hardware racks wont take up any CPU.

co-sign @ the PowerBookG4 Reccomendation
    test
  9. Xabiton

Xabiton RM Veteran

Dell kuz u can customize it to fit ur needs & its pc so it will work with 90% of the market
    test
  10. Xabiton

Xabiton RM Veteran

towers have more expandablity which is what he was gettin at plus ur average tower is gonna be a lot faster than ur average laptop id only get a laptop if u need to travel with it otherwise a tower is the way to go
    test
  11. J-A-B-B-A-R

J-A-B-B-A-R Knick Hater

Ummm...most producers don't mix on a laptop cuz then you can't expand in terms of soundcards and there's a shitty limit on ram. You're better off getting a custom made tower. Mizzle never said nothing about moving around. He said he figures he needs a laptop. He's better off getting a tower with a good external hard drive. And I don't know where you get that Laptops>Towers when it comes to production that's worse than Bush saying Iraq had WOMD.

Pz
    test
  12. -Caliban-

-Caliban- New Member

Nah, there's a reason I asked for a laptop, it's cause I do move around a lot.

You guys know anything about other brands like Acer, Sony, or HP?
    test
  13. J-A-B-B-A-R

J-A-B-B-A-R Knick Hater

Define your moving around a lot man. Cuz believe me ur much better off getting a tower.

Pz
    test
  14. th3r3isn0futur3

th3r3isn0futur3 Active Member

if you wanna get a windows PC... try http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/

otherwise mayn, its whut fMajor said.... G4, some ••••• shiet... cuz thats whut got the ••••• industry on lock.

test
  15. th3r3isn0futur3

th3r3isn0futur3 Active Member

argh m u s i c bitch, muhfuckas mayn damn...
    test
  16. -Caliban-

-Caliban- New Member

From NY to CA and back, on average of once every three months.
    test
  17. J-A-B-B-A-R

J-A-B-B-A-R Knick Hater

Well you can get decent XPCs the small ones not the ones from Dell, just make sure you pack the mouse and the keyboard and you have a monitor to hook it up to. But believe me, you're much better off with a tower. You can ever buy a bag for it and take it with you man. That's what my boy does and he's deep into the business. He had a laptop but eventually the more you work the more u use up the resources and the laptop becomes obselete. Check out the XPC.

Pz
    test
  18. Stackin$$$

Stackin$$$ New Member

Laptops have the same "expandability"...not sure what you're talking about...for every PCI card...theres a PCMCIA version or USB......

A Tower with the same Specs as a Laptop will run exactly the same...the Laptop will only cost a lil more.
    test
  19. Stackin$$$

Stackin$$$ New Member

What producers Mix their beats? Pointless

You can get a DIGI or MOTU USB Interface with 8 outs and inputs...just not the $10000 PT HD or MixPlus system...but then again if your an engineer, you won't need it.

No serious Producer uses a Tower. They need something portable. That's why you see so many computer-ignorants dismiss software production altogether and just go with the MPC and keyboard combo.

A Tower would be good for an engineer who works in his own studio.
    test
  20. J-A-B-B-A-R

J-A-B-B-A-R Knick Hater

Just Dre, Kanye, Warren G, Quik, Premier and any other producer who cares about how the final product sounds. That's also why a lot of producers have external hard drives they carry around with them that also has the software they use on it along with firewire cables and the CDs of everything they need. Please son, don't try to convince me that producers don't use towers son. Get out of here.

Pz
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.