Best Joker: Jack Nicholson or Heath Ledger

Discussion in 'Movies, Entertainment & Various Music Genres' started by Konscious, Aug 5, 2008.

?

Best Joker?

1. Jack Nicholson

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Heath Ledger

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Konscious

Konscious Resident Sage

Yeah, the nurse get-up was the only funny part I saw and the line about wanting his phone call... but other than that, he was much more macabre, darker and violent. But wouldn't such extremity be easier to nail than the slight nuances that embodied Jack's Joker? Jack's Joker even had a heart for Vicki Vale. Heath's Joker was completely cold all the way around. He was a stock character. There was no duplicity... no range of emotions.

I just realized that the Dark Knight is an alternate version of Batman and won't really relate to the original comic book storyline. Everything was "dark," hence the title. They were both great performances, but I think Jack had a much harder job.
    test
  2. Konscious

Konscious Resident Sage

Which is why I think Jack nailed it.

I don't know Heath Ledger's personality outside of his acting, though.

BUT... like others mentioned, I don't think that's of any importance. It's all about what the characters demand, which might make this discussion moot since they were two different stories with two different intents. Nevermind.
    test
  3. Langford

Langford New Member

gfdhagdnjx ignore this
    test
  4. Mac Sabbath

Mac Sabbath New Member

The new Joker killed the old one. I hate to say Ledger or Jack's joker, because although they played the roles, they were given bullet points.

Jack's Joker was written when Batman was still cartoony. I like villains to be more accessible and realistic.
    test
  5. Nu'maaN

Nu'maaN Anu'naki, Nuqqa.

i loved it coz he was that cold. but to call him a stock character is just silly. seriously, c'mon man. the bottom line is, jack nicholson's role wouldn't survive in the dark knight, and heath ledger's joker wouldn't have survived in the old batman movies. both (movies) fit into a seperate genre ...

[youtube]dqAvubu70Yc[/youtube]

i loved the ledger joker and his sinister ways ...

[turn] ...
    test
  6. Matches T. Malone

Matches T. Malone Registered Playboy

both great, but completely different adaptations of the character.

I prefer Heath's Joker, but Jack's Joker was also on point. he fit Burton's Batman world perfectly...he was suppose to be that way. It was just like the comic book joker of that era...and a modernized version of the 60's Joker from the television show. i remember when i saw it i thought, "damn, that's the Joker exactly....no one's ever going to top that."

Heath's Joker is like the modern Joker in comics(except visually...that's new). superhero comics have gotten much more, 'realistic' and practical in the '00s. I wouldn't attribute(at least not completely) the new look/feel of the bat films as Nolan's vision. Anyone who's been reading Detective Comics since '99 can tell that much.

both played the part as they were expected to and they did it very well...i just personally prefer the more modern/grimier Joker.

oddly enough, i prefer burton/keaton's Batman to nolan/bale's Batman. Bale did play a better Bruce Wayne though.
    test
  7. DatNiggaJustin

DatNiggaJustin New Member

both did a great job but i prefer Ledger
    test
  8. Brahman

Brahman Mel Van Peebles

right-o

everything you said's on-point... especially the 2nd to last sentence

although i prefer nolan/bale's costuming. the yellow emblem plate had to go.
    test
  9. Matches T. Malone

Matches T. Malone Registered Playboy

Word.

but i'm not fond of the new costume. the ears curving like that, the big thick heavy duty gloves, how can he even grip anything with those on lol, the fact that you can't even see the bat symbol.

i think it was in DKR that Batman suggests that he has a yellow emblem so that shooters have something to target because he has that area heavily reinforced.

the modern Bat costume is so nice...but ultimately, difficult if not impossible to do on film/real life. They should have at least gone with the colors, cuz ALL black...eh.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

but as far as the batfilm rubber suits.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

shits on
    [​IMG]
    test
  10. Dex Luiz

Dex Luiz Guest

test
  11. Pyro Tecknik

Pyro Tecknik Harbinger of DOOM

The new head piece looks mad retarded.
    test
  12. PERTAiN2LiFE

PERTAiN2LiFE sheesh the rapper

heath. the tongue twitch is morbid.
    test
  13. elementknown

elementknown New Member

Heath.. by far
    test
  14. PhilNYCE

PhilNYCE Guest

test
  15. ~introspect~

~introspect~ New Member

heath ledger, by a long shot
    test
  16. CrayonFlux

CrayonFlux New Member

nothin bad to say about jack nicholson but heath nailed that shit a hunnid pacent, patna

who th fuck would portray the joker so on-point as heath ledger did? Nigga went from brokeback mountain to THE JOKER(!), shit is like the widest contrast ever, on some cliff huxtable/o-dog shit. Gotta give props to the man, he makes TDK so more enjoyable. And thats real.
    test
  17. dj battle cry

dj battle cry Active Member

it makes me sick tgo my stomach that i cant vote cause i havnt seen the new batman
    test
  18. Tha Cunnysmythe

Tha Cunnysmythe Unsavoury Negroid

I know this is an old one, but I have to say Heath's. His Joker actually made me laugh more - The fact that he would always do what was socially unacceptable and still totally pull it off. Plus, he was totally fearless in a nutcase-ish kind of way.

It's been said that the purpose of the Joker is to make you laugh, then feel bad for laughing. I think he did that very well - The pencil trick, fumbling while dressed as a nurse blowing up a public hospital, saying 'hi' like a little girl when he was talking to a guy whose fiancée he killed and whose face he deformed... The list goes on.

TDK was supposed to be a much darker film than the original Batman. The Joker had to be completely unsympathetic to pull off the right kind of mystique for the film - Yet he still provides almost all of the comic relief. He doesn't do anything even vaguely redeeming, but he's still eminently watchable because he's singlemindedly insane and funny as hell.

I thought Nicholson's Joker didn't feel dangerous enough. When face to face with Batman he was a coward, and he seemed to want attention more than anything. He didn't seem to care for Vicki Vale, she was just a hooker on his arm. He maimed her, then didn't give a shit when she killed herself. There was no reason for anything he did, but that wasn't mentioned or taken advantage of in the film. It was as if killing was the only way he could get the attention so desparately wanted.
    test
  19. Killumin

Killumin Be happy with what u got!

Ledger takes it was more dark and to the point imo, Nicholson was good jus a lil corny
    test
  20. .:Pain:.

.:Pain:. Futurely J. Keeper

Everyone is stealing the point's I made the first time this thread was posted and people were immediately hopping on the Heath bandwagon.

I'd up that thread, but mods don't like that...
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.