Best Joker: Jack Nicholson or Heath Ledger

Discussion in 'Movies, Entertainment & Various Music Genres' started by Konscious, Aug 5, 2008.

?

Best Joker?

1. Jack Nicholson

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Heath Ledger

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Konscious

Konscious Resident Sage

I appreciated both performances, but I think Jack takes this one for me. He gave the DEFINITIVE Joker performance. His makeup was better, not sloppy. His one-liners were artful and he was just plain funnier, while Heath's Joker was more or less macabre. Jack did a better balancing act between evil and hysterical/maniacal. I thought the original Batman movie was better, too, because it stayed truer to the comic book unlike the Dark Knight, which was another interpretation altogether. Heath did a great job. I dug it, but it was just different. I preferred Jack's interpretation much better.
    test
  2. Langford

Langford New Member

some people will probably take into account how much of a transformation the actors went through in becoming the joker, and in that instance, Heath I think will definitely win.

personally, i don't think the actor's personality outside of the film or how similar he is to the character is of any importance.

that said, i still vote Heath. it has been a looong time since i saw the first Batman, though.

i liked the sloppy makeup and his overall look and mannerisms and movements, i think it increased the fear factor and mentality and everything. jack's joker was TOO funny. he didn't seem insane or crazy or psychotic, more like an amused clown.

TDK had the better joker, and was a better movie overall.
    test
  3. McCizoy

McCizoy Retired

It's tough to say who had the better performance of the two because in a way they were playing two seperate characters. The character of the Joker in Dark Knight is far and away the much better one though, IMO.
    test
  4. Your Idol

Your Idol ♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠

jack was corny and literally every single one of us could have done as well as him without any acting exerience. heath wins by no contest.
    test
  5. Brahman

Brahman Mel Van Peebles

i prefer heath ledger's joker and the more realistic direction these nolan films are taking

the sloppy make-up job is dope, because its disguise is more in keeping with his mysterious origins and paints the portrait of a crazed menace who cares less about himself than his cleverly crafted plans to spread chaotic terror on the world around him... that's the "joke" he's playing on society, not being able to deliver one quip after another.

it's been a while since i've seen the original batman though, and i do remember loving jack's performance...
    test
  6. LiveFromThe781

LiveFromThe781 Don Of The Den

heaths performance was one of the best ive seen, and that goes for any kind of movie. honestly, before i saw the movie i thought everyone was just overrating how good he was in it cause of the whole drama about his death. but he really gives a great performance.
    test
  7. Brahman

Brahman Mel Van Peebles

ultimately it shouldn't if you're to award one performance over another... say, for instance, a man goes further outside of his own nature to become one character yet still falls short of another man who essentially plays himself but delivers the artificially conjured emotions with more authenticity

i wouldn't say it "isn't of any importance" though, because it is a testament to the actor's range and versatility... a definite measuring stick of talent
    test
  8. Brahman

Brahman Mel Van Peebles

wtf? no...
    test
  9. Langford

Langford New Member

yeah i agree @ post 7.

i was going to post a "lol" at Your Idol for that.
    test
  10. Konscious

Konscious Resident Sage

Fuck, so nobody agrees with me?

Heath's character was more menacing, for sure... but Jack's had more layers to his character, don't you think?

The Joker is SUPPOSED to be funny.
    test
  11. Langford

Langford New Member

there's been different interpretations, it's not really supposed to be one way or the other.

I think heath's was a good balance of funny, deranged, violent/scary, and random.
    test
  12. mikeymcee

mikeymcee New Member

Heath's was better. You need to account for how much the actor changed into the character to decide who was better acting.

Also, the character of the Joker in the Dark Knight was better IMO
    test
  13. Langford

Langford New Member

what if you don't know anything about the actor prior to seeing the role?
    test
  14. Dex Luiz

Dex Luiz Guest

Heath ripped it.

It’s like he based the character around my own personal vision. Except I would’ve pleaded for an R-Rating so I could take his psychopathy to the next level.

I love Jack, but I was basically apathetic about his performance.
    test
  15. Sakim Aerias

Sakim Aerias Sunset Cradling Prince

Heath ledger blows away nicholson's joker by a 35 mile margin

The Joker for being dark/psychotic/wisdom-esque/Chaotic/Funny/Brilliant

Were all wrapped into one character.
    test
  16. Brahman

Brahman Mel Van Peebles

i thought he was pretty funny at times (ie. "i just wanted my phone call", "hiii" as the nurse at two face's bedside, etc.), and the audience seemed to be laughing at various things he would say and do.

but, i don't think he's meant to be funny more than he is meant to have his own twisted sense of humor. it's part of his enigmatic persona that he find things funny that everyone else might not.
    test
  17. DaAlmightyDolla

DaAlmightyDolla Greatness

the part with the detonator was funnier than anything jack did..

v
    heath
    test
  18. menaz

menaz Avant Garde

Jack didn't truely protray the anarchist psychology of the joker, where as heath nailed it.

Not to mention he was just naturally humorous as the joker without the comedic lines....

Black gangsta: Did you think you could just steal from us and get away with it?
    Joker: *Rainman look with vocal inflection* Yeah!

LMAO!

Heath took chaos, dark humor, derangement, duality/yin and yang, satan temptations, BF skinner concepts, nihilism, and wraped it all up into one very complexed character. Jack's joker was not nearly as complexed as
    heaths.
    test
  19. menaz

menaz Avant Garde

Exactly!
    test
  20. Nu'maaN

Nu'maaN Anu'naki, Nuqqa.

i say, that which doesn't kill you, only makes you ... stranger. this is uncontested, heath literally killed this role. dead or not ...

[turn] ...
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.