benefits of meditation

Discussion in 'The Sanctuary' started by Sir Bustalot, May 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

The reason i preach it so much is because now that ive done it for so long I can speak from experience and it helps with a lot of things, from focusing and visualization, to relaxing and stress relief among a ton of others

people have a misconception that you have to do something that might make them look or sound dumb when they meditate. You do not need to get into a special pose, you do not need to hum "Ommmmmmmmm", you do not have to pray to some foreigners god. But also inversely, its a great way to deepen your spiritual practice while enjoying the health benefits. There is many ways of meditation. You can make it what you want once you learn the point and basic methodology of it.
    Basics: sit comfortably, close your eyes, breathe deep and slow without strain. Thats it in its most basic nutshell.
    Point is to slow your brain down from all the chatter of daily life. This is why you should concentrate on something, a single thing, whether it be a candle flame, a positive word or phrase, your breath etc etc. Most of the stress relief comes from the slowing of breath but also shutting off the bullshit of your brain is great relief as well. Look it up, research many methods before you decide on one, go to a guided class, download a guided meditation off of youtube, it doesnt matter, just get into it.

Clinically Proven Benefits of the Spiritual Practice of Meditation for Health, Work, and Mental Focus — San Francisco Bay Area, CA

Meditation: Take a stress-reduction break wherever you are - MayoClinic.com

Meditation Health Benefits and Stress Reduction

Health benefits of meditation proven

Health Benefits of Meditation - Project Meditation

The Benefits of Meditation | Psychology Today

etc etc
    test
  2. Riz

Riz Well-Known Member

I've been trying to practise 'mindfulness' more often. I've only been doing about five minutes a day (and not even that sometimes) but I'm going to slowly try to increase it.

I have noticed that I think in a much more mindful way in general now in comparison to before I started.
    test
  3. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

Thats one side effect. Youll be more witness to your thoughts and will be able to chose which ones to act on, rather than just acting on them as they come
    test
  4. TheBigPayback

TheBigPayback God Particle

Whats the highest chakra uve been able to open
    test
  5. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

this thread is about meditation and its health benefits, not about how other cultures view meditation. Which is where the chakra comes from.

You dont have to do, or think any weird foreign shit to meditate... but for some reason everyone always thinks they have to sit a certain pose, make a stupid sound first or as they meditate... those people are uneducated on meditation and listen to people like BP who think its all about foreign gods and worshipping false dieties

I dont know, i dont know much about chakras. Besides 99.9% of the population wouldnt know one from their asshole so unless you asked a yogi or a buddhist priest i would doubt anyone if they could answer that question precisely.

there are meditation practices that are supposed to open up your chakras. And i have done them, but as far as which ones and whats the most powerfull one i affected i dont know. I dont meditate with the intention of fixing chakras

or was that just your subtle passive resistance?
    test
  6. TheBigPayback

TheBigPayback God Particle

No didnt know. so i asked :)
    test
  7. Jay Bee

Jay Bee Boricua

cartoons help
    test
  8. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

well I do microcosmic orbit quite a bit and its energy cultivation.

The version i do works on 9 different chakra points. I dont know know which is highest but one is the main basis point for chi and jing and the another is the heavens gate and another is the 3rd eye etc etc...But I dont necessarily believe its doing anything, But It feels like it is. But even if you didnt believe it it its still something to occupy the mind while meditating, which all forms of meditation have pretty much. So even if you didnt believe in energy circulation the MO meditation is still beneficial, because it is meditation thats beneficial in general.

But I when i sit and do my main practice of meditation Im not doing anything but watching my slow and deep breathing and not thinking of anything but that and all its charactaristics. I clear my mind and turn inward and breathe.
    This i do daily. 20 mins a pop. Sometimes 2-3 x a day depending if im bored. Ive done it so much that it has begun now to feel great. I have no problem doing it a lot. I consider it like taking the time to read a few chapters in a book. Something easy and relaxing to do with health benefits.
    test
  9. reggie jax

reggie jax Well-Known Member

i've been considering picking this back up. i tried it for a little bit when i was looking into buddhism but i found that i was utterly incapable of stopping my mind from running. so once i started to conclude buddhist philosophy didn't really fit my views i sort of dropped the meditation thing as well.

even as i 'focus on my breathing,' there are some very quiet background thoughts i can still sense and follow as this is happening. i haven't figured out a way to only focus on breathing. i think that breathing is quite boring and hard for me to focus on with all my attention. but i notice that this is a trend with me, and it's the biggest thing that slows me down when im trying to read or learn anything. i need to improve my focus because my mind just wanders like crazy and i get distracted very easily. so i think i'm going to try meditating (the breathing kind, dunno what you call it) just as an exercise in focus.
    test
  10. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

Well, it helps all of that with time. Things also improve, you get better. Its a skill that takes practice and there are endless levels of depth.

To help focus on the breath i have a few tips. Focus on your breath and how it feels on and going into your nostrils, really pay attention and give it description. Youll notice that your breath may be stronger in the right nostril, youll notice that the air seems to be more to the top of your nostril and not the whole opening, you may notice the air seems thin and stale etc etc. Youll notice a variety of different things with each meditation, and the cool thing is by the time youre done youre breath will feel completely different than when you started. Youll have a whole new set of descriptions because you stabilized yourself a bit and changed your brain waves.

the most important thing though is breathing properly. Your chest should not move. You should be inhaling deeper into your belly almost. Its called diaphragmatic breathing and is the proper way to breath.

meditation though, goes way beyond the breath part, after that is when you meditate, the breathing is just what gets you there, like the elevator. Once you arrive is when you get down to business... same with ending your meditation, you should end it with the breath concentration as the elevator out of meditation....

I will post a simple method of trancendental meditation if anyone wants.... 50 day challenge. If you do it 50 days everyday honestly, and dont like it quit. But give it 50 days. Ill bet you will be on board with meditation.
    test
  11. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

http://neurowiki2012.wikispaces.com/Mindfulness Practices and Meditation

"Having discussed many of the effects that mindfulness practices have on the body, it should be clear that mindfulness practices pose a great potential alternative avenue for treatment of various disorders. Research shows that mindfulness based stress reduction clinical practices which seeks to alleviate suffering through increasing an individual's awareness of moment to moment experiences and the associated mental processes has shown a consistent effect size of 0.5.[24] This suggests that mindfulness based treatments could be effectively used to treat a large number of both physiological and psychological ailments including chronic stress disorders, panic disorders, anxiety disorders, depression, emotional dysregulation and many more. It is encouraging to see research being done into this promising non-invasive set of techniques."
    test
  12. Nu'maaN

Nu'maaN Anu'naki, Nuqqa.

i don't know if it can be classified as meditation.

but since i was young, before i slept, i've always sat down and just thought in darkness.

it started off with 5 minutes, it turned to 15, then 30.

now i end up falling asleep during it so i can't really put a timer on it anymore.

but yeah, it helps with stress, now i try to do it after each prayer i've prayed, sit and ponder.

:numaan:
    test
  13. MCKuShhhhhh

MCKuShhhhhh New Member

great thread tbh. busta.

and PANTS!!! especially yoga pants if available
    test
  14. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

if you meditate first, it clears the "air" for your prayers. Prayers are that much more effective after meditation... not saying youre doing it wrong. This is just what i was taught.
    The idea behind it is, that its like clearing the static by adjusting the antenna...you get better reception after meditation
    suggesting that when you finish meditating, say a lil prayer ;)
    test
  15. reggie jax

reggie jax Well-Known Member

appreciate the advice, i'll try to keep it in mind. the only thing i'm a little unclear on is the "diaphragmatic breathing." no matter how deeply i breath my chest still moves.
    test
  16. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

well its like anything, you have to learn how to do it because you dont know...Babies are born doing it, as we grow older we lose it and start keeping our breath in our chest....
    try visualizing bringing the breath deep down to your bellybutton. Expand your belly like a balloon.

or lay on your back, put a hand on your chest and one on your belly button, breathe deep and slow through the nose and only make your belly hand move...(this is an actual method they use to teach it)

it would be easy if i could show you.... but i cant... only thing i can think of is to research on how to do it.

If you still cant do it without your chest moving, atleast fill your stomach to full expansion before you let your chest expand. If you breathe and JUST your chest moves or your stomach doesnt expand much, then youre utilizing only half your lung approx... Diaphragmatic breathing uses around 80-90% of your lungs potential, thats why it is so important. We all breath inefficiently. Diaph' breathing is a very efficient and relaxing way to breath and should be done all the time pretty much
    test
  17. Majestic1990

Majestic1990 Peace and Love

Good thread sir bustalot. I meditate too, I usually switch between one-pointed concentration and the other meditation where your watching your mind. The ladder takes you inside yourself.

It's definitely good...I would probably say even mandatory, you don't need drugs anymore, your confidence is higher, sex feels better, it brings authentic creativity out. Everything is just better when your out of your mind.
    test
  18. breathlesss

breathlesss Registered Sex Offender

Something I've noticed with meditating before sleep os the it makes my dreams more "yseful" instead of randomosity that I can't put a rhyme or reason to, I tend to trend towards more premonitious, or at least, obvious want of plausible possibilities connected to the network of recent experiences. And this led me to believe more in the internal thought process, like, my physical brain is processing all these little hidden nuances, but its being clouded by the defined act of trying to view them.
    Like buata was saying meditation is not about the experience of focusing on your breath per se, but what happens after, the moment you forget that you're breathing, the dissociation of self, when your mind becomes you and your body becomes a realizably insignificant shell, that is the beauty of its stress relief
    But I've come to be ao comfortable with the dissociation that I can snap off in an instant (possibly dueto massive DXM experimentation, try it, it will change you) and I always get goosebumps, at firat it was annoying and distracting, breaking the process, but now I can control it, sometimes just to entertain myself
    test
  19. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

Well im familiar with point to point meditation... Its where for example when you inhale you imagine your breath going from your nostrils to your foot, then when you exhale you imagine the breath flowing from your foot out your nostrils.... This visualization guides the prana to wherever you imagine. You can continue to change points or stick with one. Its usefull for self healing.

prana is life force.
    your breath moves your life force, your brain tells it where to go
    test
  20. Riz

Riz Well-Known Member

I don't know how traditional this is, but from a modern psychological perspective on mindfulness there's not a 'correct' way to do it and the wandering thoughts can actually be helpful.

The idea is that our thoughts aren't the problem, it's our thoughts about our thoughts (metacognition). If you're trying to concentrate on your breathing, your mind goes somewhere else and you get frustrated with yourself, then it's only the last part that's problematic. If your mind wanders, you can catch yourself and say something like "I notice my mind wander, but now I'm going to gently return back to my breathing."

If you're like me, you'll keep repeating that same process over and over. But what it teaches you is that you can let go of the automatic reactions that we often have to our thinking. It might not completely clear all the background noise in your mind, but it clears a lot of the unhelpful stuff.

Also keep in mind the unintended consequences of trying to force yourself to think a certain way. The more you tell yourself not to let your mind wander, the more it will. By genuinely accepting that it will wander, it's less likely to.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.