Bench Pressing Alone lol

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by macmilimeterhyms, Mar 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. macmilimeterhyms

macmilimeterhyms Product of the 80s

Am I the only one here who does this? It's not a healthy practice but if you know your limits you'll be ok.

this one time I couldn't get the bar back up and had to roll it down to my lap and it was like I got punched in the chest by a Gorilla. lol it doesn't hurt your abdomen as much as your ribs because your abs can give under the weight.

I think I actually can do more reps now because when the one that would come down on my chest is about to start dropping I get this adrenaline rush and hulk out one more rep. haha
    test
  2. Butfuklo

Butfuklo New Member

It's dumb if your going for raw strenght. Benching with a partner is good because it's competition and you can push your limits farther.
    test
  3. I wArFaRe I

I wArFaRe I Love 2 Hate

stupid post
    test
  4. VishTaphney

VishTaphney Guest

I only bench with a partner...but some people say benching by yourself helps you push out that last rep...its psychological...but never bench heavy by yourself ever its too dangerous...if its for reps at moderate weight its ok though. but always place the spot bars on the bench closer to your chest so its easier to place the bar back.
    test
  5. juicyab602

juicyab602 New Member

its fine....
    test
  6. jj cool L

jj cool L smell my finger

i only do it if im pushing like 35 or something i just do like real light stuff but do a lot of reps, overall it isnt really a good idea to be benching alone...thats what my mom says
    test
  7. LeKCheR

LeKCheR Active Member

I HATE benching alone because if your alone you dont push urself as hard because ur scared to go heavy.....well thats how I am.
    test
  8. Purple Haze

Purple Haze pop warner hof

I've made huge gains benching alone- even though its way more practical with a partner. You should only max out every so often anyway.. thats when you need a spotter really.
    test
  9. style-rip

style-rip Lakers>Clippers

if your gym has that squat machine where the bar is attached to the frame, you can put a flat bench and do some nice solo bench pressing without the risk of dropping the weight on your chest
    test
  10. stunnaa

stunnaa New Member

thats crazy and dangerous.
    test
  11. C.G.

C.G. C.G. Productionz

i used to, so now i just chest press alone. its not real safe, but id rather drop 2 dumbells to my sides then drop a barbell on my chest
    test
  12. macmilimeterhyms

I guess if I was a bigger guy lifting heavier weights I wouldn't do it but I'm not so until I reach that point Ima keep pushing the limit
    test
  13. R-Tistic

R-Tistic Your favorite DJ

Eh......dangerous, but I started benchin on my own back when I first started on the bench last summer, and still do 95% of the time. I only had trouble twice when my arms almost gave out since I was doin the max that I could do...and I woulda been coo if I just repped once and put it back, but I was tryin to do that second one.

I just don't want to have to depend on anybody else to go up there with me, and I think I try harder and concentrate harder because I don't want to fuck up and be hella embarassed. I'm just happy that I can finally bench my weight...it took about four or five months of liftin to get there.
    test
  14. XxLiLBuRnAxX

XxLiLBuRnAxX Prolly smarter than you

I've done it once before. I actually accidently realize I was much stronger than I thought when it happened. About a year ago decided to try and rep my max twice at home by myself (stupid I know). I was able to get it twice without much of a struggle so I tried one more time, I felt it right as I went down that I wasn't going to be able to get it. When I realized I had no choice but to get it because my plates are screwed on the bar so I cant knock the weight off the sides I got an adrenaline rush and pushed it up. At that point I felt like I was on top of the world. Turns out my max was about 45lbs above what I thought it was, only reason I would struggle with my previous max was because I knew I could quit and the guy standing over me would help me push it up. When you realize nobody is gonna help you then you dont have that mentality to give up and u realize just how strong you are.

I wouldn't recommend anyone actually doing this though, like I said I was a rookie weightlifter at the time and did this on accident.
    test
  15. J o o k

J o o k Guest

I bench alone all the time.

Dont max, just 75-80% of your max, and dont push the last rep like you would if you had a spot.
    test
  16. I wArFaRe I

I wArFaRe I Love 2 Hate

test
  17. xcetara

xcetara New Member

um arnold explains this very well in pumping iron...he says that body builders are like sculpters so it is important to craft some proportion, ie if you make one part of the body bigger the rest of the body needs to fit the image or youll look out of proportion, its no good just having a big chest youll end up with man boobs one day
    test
  18. macmilimeterhyms

test
  19. I wArFaRe I

I wArFaRe I Love 2 Hate

it doesnt say in that article..thats not even the actual paper i get, you need to pay for an online subscription for that one...but its a couple towns over from me and people were saying thats what happened from reports..he was benching heavy and couldnt press the weight and dropped it on his neck cuz nobody was there to take it from him when he couldnt get it..
    test
  20. xcetara

xcetara New Member

test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.