Before anyone jumps on the Velazquez bandwagon...

Discussion in 'MMA, Boxing & Other Combat Sports' started by ANDtheMC, Feb 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DahStoryTella

DahStoryTella knowledge of self

How would you breakdown Mir/Lesnar 3, with this new Frank Mir?
    test
  2. Cognitive D.K

Cognitive D.K New Member

carwins striking technique > lesnar's

brock has one punch from boxing stance
    test
  3. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

I get a feeling it's going to be pretty similar at where the fight goes. With Mir's even more improved stand up, I think Brock would be foolish and scared to stand up with Brock.

He's probably go get the takedown. Whether Mir ends up in half guard or full guard is going to be crucial. But I don't think he'll be able to pin him down and just control his body the way he did in the second fight. One, he's training for that now and two, he would come into fight night 30-40 pounds bigger than he did last go round. In Mir/Brock II, he went in at 245 because he wanted speed. Doesn't look like he lost a lotta speed and he put on 30+ pounds of muscle.

I've trained jiu-jitsu and a crucial element is wrist control. Strength does matter. If Brock wasn't able to control his wrist from that top half guard position, Mir could have done a lot more work to attempt to get into better positioning. Mir would be able to muscle out of certain shit he couldn't (not overpower but have enough strength to pull away).

Go to someone who is weaker than you by a decent amount and try to grab his wrist and if he at all knows what he's doing, he should be able to get you off. Do it to a little ass kid who you're MUCH MUCH stronger than and you probably won't be able to.

This fight seems too much like a toss up. If I was betting, I'd have to say Brock (Mir's my favorite fighter along with Rousimar Palhares), but I do think if he could keep it standing for just enough, he might be able to drill him with a hook and then finish with a sub like he did against Traven or Kongo. I also could see him pull off a sub off his back but it's not likely. Gonna be extremely hard to triangle Lesnar without getting slammed. Omoplatas, kimuras, and arm bars are practically going to be impossible off the back because he's so explosive AND strong and will pull out. Guillotines, rear naked chokes, or any leg locks (heel hook/knee bar again/toe lock/straight ankle lock/achilles lock) could be a possibility but I still think doubtful.

Again: I really don't know. Swaying towards Brock, but hoping it's not true.
    test
  4. Sabbath

Sabbath Regicidal

Good breakdown.

For me, there are two crucial elements of this fight that are in question. 1.) Has brock learned enough technique to at least defend/escape submissions if Mir is able to roll for them, or will he simply rely on his ability to stuff? and 2.) how good is Brock's chin? Dude could have a Mark Hunt melon for all we know.
    test
  5. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

Well Mir did drill him with that uppercut and flying knee and tho' he immediately went for the takedown, he did eat it pretty well. I get a feelin' Brock does have a solid chin. But then again, Mir has A LOT of power. A clean shot to anyone from Mir can be the end at this point.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.