becoming a poet..

Discussion in 'Writer's Block' started by tk2oo3, Jul 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tk2oo3

tk2oo3 New Member

what exactly do you think it takes to become a mainstream poet & actually sell poetry books n shit.. i have no clue so im kind of interested in this..
    test
  2. BlackSoultan Ad Infinitum

BlackSoultan Ad Infinitum aka Billy Shoreview

Mainstream poet? Seems like a paradox to me.

It takes slamming. [dunno] simple answer. Slamming, and creating a media packet. You need photos of yourself (professional headshots), video of your performances, audios professionally mixed, stuff like that.

There really is no "mainstream" poetry scene. It's still rather underground. Def Jam was going to come out with a poetry label (at least I think I remember Shihan saying that last I saw him) but the market really isn't there. Ever notice that the Def Poetry show is all reruns of last season? (That shit is getting on my nerves).

But you can have a career and make some decent money in the poetry underground. I say this because the best of the best: Saul Williams, Shihan, Sekou, Mike Connell, Medusa -- I mean the best ever -- still sell their own CD's out their trunks literally. They aren't signed, they're not even making the kind of money or pushing the kind of sales you see from like, a Sage Francis, Eyedea, Aesop, or any other lackluster selling phenomenal rap act.

As far as books? You will not sell a book. Making one is just for the sake of being published and saying you are. I plan on making one, but not to see any figures because I know I won't. I plan on doing it because I have to as per dictate of my soul.

If I do it for any reason, I'll end up with the notorious fame of say,

Edgar Allen Poe.
    test
  3. tk2oo3

tk2oo3 New Member

hmmm interesting, i dont really pay attention to poetry much so i only know edgar allen poe out of the people mentioned.. i think pac beats all mainstream poets money wise [funny] & thats only cuz he came out as a rapper first.. what do you exactly mean by "decent" money?? how much would that be [funny]
    test
  4. Feme Sole

Feme Sole Mrs. _Evil

test
  5. BlackSoultan Ad Infinitum

BlackSoultan Ad Infinitum aka Billy Shoreview

Poe died feeling suicidal and unfulfilled...
    test
  6. Vulkan'XL

Vulkan'XL New Member

Im with Sultan, there is no real poetry mainstream, just what you think of as a main circle of poets or those who you think of as poets that have branched off from other genres or areas...Ill drop more later!
    test
  7. iceheart

iceheart The Frozen Poet

if you want to be published, submit some poems to the atlantic motnhly magazine - theyll put it in ther if it's good and if it gets in then it is GOOD (emphasis on good)
    test
  8. tk2oo3

tk2oo3 New Member

iceheart do you have the adress or somethin i dont know id be interested in sending in some pieces n shit maybe not now i still need to elevate but at some point..
    test
  9. iceheart

iceheart The Frozen Poet

go to the website www.theatlantic.com and look at the poetry pages then look around - the address and submission rules are somewhere there, theyll tell you the specifics

peace
    iceheart
    test
  10. skandelous_lala

skandelous_lala back from the dead

as simple as that, i see where she is coming from lol. i could never imagine using something so deep and personal to me for making money.

most poets don't become "famous" persay, until long after they are gone, and their work is discovered for what it actually was.
    test
  11. Cigma

Cigma Maxwell's Demon

I didn't even know you could make a poet...you just kind of become one.

It's about how you things, and how effective you are at communicating those thoughts and feelings.
    test
  12. lpoet

lpoet POET

i am a poet
    test
  13. lewdDog

lewdDog Life is are own illusion

i think any1 who writes 4 a reason is a poet
    test
  14. Royal Sovereign

Royal Sovereign New Member

dont become a sell out..... doi it for the love and expression of emotion.
    test
  15. tk2oo3

tk2oo3 New Member

i dont plan to sell out.. i jus wanna sell
    test
  16. JiHaD210

JiHaD210 REAL RECOGNIZE REAL

test
  17. JiHaD210

JiHaD210 REAL RECOGNIZE REAL

ur lookin to do this for money.....thas not reel..thas like bein a rapper...
    test
  18. tk2oo3

tk2oo3 New Member

yea im lookin to be a rapper too.. who are you to judge whats real though you been through my pain or somethin or you even seen what im capable of.. an im jus startin in this shit its only goin up from there..
    test
  19. *Princess*

*Princess* skantless bitch

i agree with cigma.....i dont think you can make a poet...u just are one...and makin it in all the mainstream shit to me...just doesnt interest me, i'd rathe post my shit on here and other poerty forums and not get paid...i dont write for money...i write to let the reader know what im goin through or how i feel...i dunno bout anyone else..
    test
  20. tk2oo3

tk2oo3 New Member

yea a lotta people dont take this shit serious.. i do take it serious tho cuz i feel its the only path life left open for me its goin be that much harder for me to walk down that path but its all ive got.. but i mean wouldnt you people wanna take somethin you love & do it for a livin & be doin this shit on yo own time & the best part is you doin somethin you love & gettin paid for it.. you can work as hard as you want an it wont be like work to you..
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.