Beating Machida

Discussion in 'MMA, Boxing & Other Combat Sports' started by Crates, May 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crates

Crates Well-Known Member

I think Machida can be beaten. It's that in order for it to happen it will require it to be from someone who is an expert striker. If they were in the same weight category as Machida I could see Dennis Kang and Marcus Davis beating Machida because both are some of the top strikers in mma. Both Kang and Davis have solid boxing backgrounds. So far I don't know of Machida figthing guys who had solid striking credentials. Some good strikers especially from boxing backgrounds could better handle Machida's elusiveness because boxers train to be elusive themselves.

People talk about Machida's unorthodox style. But Chuck Liddell also had an unorthodox style that was difficult for guys with mainly wrestling backgrounds to deal with. But once Liddell started dealing with guys with better striking backgrounds he started having trouble. I think something similar could happen to Machida once more good strikers enter his weight division. But the question is how soon will that happen? Who has been the best striker that Machida has fought so far?
    test
  2. Big K

Big K U Wanna Battle?

Sam Greco is the best striker Machida's fought so far. Look up their fight on YouTube. Machida seemed thrilled and relieved just to be awarded the split decision.
    test
  3. Unknown333

Unknown333 New Member

as of now i think nobody in the ufc LHW division will beat him

rampage: never takes fights to the ground, solid power puncher but slow.
    forrest: far too sloppy with strikes... machida would just pick him apart.
    shogun: would be an interesting fight but i think machida edges.
    jardine: rofl.

id like to see lil nog fight machida though lol

imo to beat machida you would need to be fast, strong, and great in the clinch.. cuz aslong as ur holding on to machida he cant dodge you... but hed probably just wizzer ur ass like it aint nothin lol
    test
  4. Nikkles

Nikkles Don't Fuck With Chuck

Id' disagree with your point about a world class striker the only way to beat him.

I posted this in the other thread.

Look at tonight, or against Silva...or even Tito. Machida almost NEVER backs up. He steps in on you....He controls that cage. That is not a characteristic of a Counter Fighter.

Really, the only Feasible way to beat it, is to do what Randy does. Invite the punch...see How Lyoto Leaps in like that? Duck straight into the shot, and get it to slide off your Head...that's how you secure the Clinch there...shoot off that movement.

Then you put Him against the cage and Grind Him out. Only problem is that there aren't really any wrestlers in the Division to hold Lyoto like that. you NEED a world
    class Greco guy to do it.
    test
  5. Crates

Crates Well-Known Member

I just viewed the fight. Machida wasn't as elusive against Greco as he was with the others. Maybe being a Karate stylist(striker) Greco was a better match up for Machida.

YouTube - Sam Greco vs Lyoto Machida Part01
    test
  6. toker

toker My Money Grow On Trees

machida isnt anything special..
    test
  7. Unknown333

Unknown333 New Member

name another fighter that elusive

name another fighter that has as good of sweeps

name another small light-heavyweight to wreck 2 undefeated fighters back to back.

name another guy who drinks his own piss
    test
  8. Chamberfool

Chamberfool HAhahAHahaHAhahaHhaha

why do you sign on just to say something so stupid? why dont you just whisper it into the ear of the lawn gnome your mother had in front of the house
    test
  9. toker

toker My Money Grow On Trees

been watching mma for over a decade..

1 thing ive learned is most fighters are flavors of the month.. very few can actually stand the test of time.. machida looks no different imo

at one point people thought rampage was the next big thing.. then he ran into this group of Brazilians that ran train on him.. he still hasnt taken it to that next lvl

very hard to stay on that elite lvl.. shit most of the elite guys fall off hard.. igor vov, newton, gomi, magee(not good but was #2 in ufc), kerr, sak, liddell, shamrock, tito, silva, pulver, etc..

but u kids beleive what u want.. most of u though evans was good haha

hopefully shogun will get a shot at him..
    test
  10. detroit1491

detroit1491 New Member

I don't necessarily agree with your argument. Most of those guys were good at their time, or their league. They didn't necessarily come together with opponents at the top of their game. Just because Evans lost, doesn't mean he's not good. It just means he doesn't match up well, right now, to Machida. Look back to Hughes-GSP. GSP got owned, changed, grew, and came back to beat Hughes. UFC is still evolving, especially with the sport evolving on its own outside of the UFC.
    test
  11. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

I have to disagree with all these people. When Machida comes in, his strikes are usually timed so perfectly and accurately that he hurts you with his punches and kicks. Look at that body kick that didn't even seem all that powerful and he followed it with a quick right and knocked down Rashad Evans (I'm talkin' the first knockdown). Rashad doesn't go down easy.... Even in the final KO, Rashad (a legitimate wrestler) was trying to clench and take him down but Machida was sidestepping everything. Go watch the ending knockout. Rashad was attempting to clench but couldn't grab him. Machida was WAYYYYYYYYYYYY too elusive. I've never seen anything like that, when a fighter of Rashad's wrestling caliber and skillset couldn't even clench (dazed or not) outside of Tito against Machida and Rashad against Machida.

I don't think anybody in that class is going to beat this guy for a LOONNNGGG time.

And to the guy who said dominating fighters don't last... THAT'S OLD GENERATION. We're coming to a new generation of fighters where they're becoming top level at everything. Machida is one of them. SO TAKE MACHIDA DOWN. He's a black belt jiu-jitsu practicioner. Keep it standing up... He's gonna whoop your ass. Yes, your best chance is probably beating him up in the clench but how easy will that come? And on top of that, he does have muay thai also. We're not talking about Matt Hughes. We're talking Lyoto Machida... Someone who's proving to be in that pound for pound level with the GSP's, Fedors, BJ Penns (even tho' I don't like him anymore), and Anderson Silva (who's been slacking of late as well). We're not talking about a one trick pony... He's got the all around game.
    test
  12. Nikkles

Nikkles Don't Fuck With Chuck

I agree with the next generation point your making, and to further my point that I posted you have said you need a guy to get Machida in the clinch, like I said up there you need a supreme greco roman guy to do that like Randy does, Clinch up against the cage and grind you down but there is no one in that division with the greco abilities to do that to machida at present.

The thing thats worrying for the LHW division is that Rashad is one of if not the quickest LHW in that division and with alot of power since he started out as a HW and he couldn't touch machida, he controls the cage too well and he never seems to be on the back foot hes always coming at you forcing you to make an error.

Probably the hardest fight Machida had was against fellow Karate expert Sam Greco but that was when Machida was a young fighter and now hes matured and evolved I don't think he will be catching an L anytime soon.
    test
  13. Crates

Crates Well-Known Member

Just curious. Why are some pushing for Machida to fight Anderson Silva? What is it about Silva you see as making him a good match up?
    test
  14. Mac Sabbath

Mac Sabbath New Member

bwaha.

tailor-made for Machida.
    test
  15. Mac Sabbath

Mac Sabbath New Member

Silva's unquestionably the best striker in MMA.

Silva also said Machida beats him sparring.
    test
  16. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

I think in the stand up, Anderson has the best chance. I think he is thee best counter fighter in the UFC so if Machida slips, he's the one guy I think could time him and hit 'em on the way in. I don't think he'll hit Machida if he pressed, but only if he can somehow time Machida perfectly while he comes in. I still think it's unlikely.
    test
  17. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

Nah.... I think the best striker is Cung Le. But he's not overall as good as Anderson, obviously. I give Cung Le striking and takedowns over Anderson but Anderson has everything else over him.
    test
  18. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

I said that's the only way anyone has a chance (to avoid his ridiculously accurate and powerful strikes). I do believe Greco Roman sounds great and all but it would have to be a Greco Roman guy who has everything else too. The entire fight wouldn't be in the clinch. That's not realistic. So if the fight is half in the clinch, the question is what would that fighter do for the rest of the fight? For example... get Randy Couture in the ring with Machida... Yeah, MAYBE he can get the clench. Sure that could happen... But would that fight remain in the clinch the whole way through? Doubtful... So would Machida completely dominate him stand up and hurt him? I would put my money on that.

Agreed.

I watched that fight... Funny thing is, even tho' that may have been his hardest fight, he took minimal damage. Barely got hit... ESPECIALLY in the stand up. And I don't think it was as close as they scored it. I browsed through it (was doin' other things while I watched it) but watching it half assed, it still looked like Machida controlled the fight and took the win. Yes, he got swept and ended up on his back, but he barely took any damage from there.
    test
  19. SeeSon

SeeSon New Member

test
  20. Mac Sabbath

Mac Sabbath New Member

I was thinking the exact same thing. I've no idea how that was anything but a ud for Lyoto.

And yeah, I meant Anderson is the best MMA ready striker. There are a few guys that are better pure strikers but they usually have grappling weaknesses.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.