Beat and vocals volume?

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by Hammurabi, Aug 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hammurabi

Hammurabi New Member

do you people like to have the beat volume higher than the vocals when you lay down a track or vice versa? i'm having toubles with this shit, it's either too loud or too low, damn
    test
  2. ~Mister~Roush~

~Mister~Roush~ New Member

Every single track that you do should have the volumes blended so that neither the vocals or the beat are loud to the point where they drown each other out at any given point in the track. You're vocals are gonna end up being around the same volume within' a couple two or three points if your consistant. The beat just depends on it's quality and how loud it is without changing the volume. I usually leave the beat at 0 and go with it's original volume and then blend the vocals until they are just right. It also has a lot to do with how you mix your vocals. During the editing process there are many effects editing features that will automatically raise the decibals of the vocals. You really just have to recognize it when that happens and adjust the vocals accordingly. You should ask around about direct x plugins that help in blending vocals with the beat. Mic modulators, etc... see what different effect people sware by and then try them until you find one that is effective for you. pz. -Roush
    test
  3. Xabiton

Xabiton RM Veteran

The vocals should always be a tad louder than the beat although the human perception makes them sound blended read your meters and u will see what I mean try to get them both as loud as u can without drowning out the vocals and without clipping once u can hear the vocals clearly and the track isnt clipping u got it
    test
  4. eye am xs

eye am xs New Member

one thing u can do in cep that i like to do is a group normalize, and select your beat and your vocals, then they'll normalize together. then after that i raise my vocals up about 0.5 - 1 db, i usually get a good blend with that
    test
  5. Digi Track

Digi Track New Member

Where is the tool " Group normalize" I know where normalize is but how do u normilize two things at once?
    test
  6. eye am xs

eye am xs New Member

when you're in mult-track view, click on edit it's all the way at the volume, u have to hold shit and click the tracks u want to group normalize, then click normalize
    test
  7. eye am xs

eye am xs New Member

and i'm using cep2.0 don't know if that makes a difference to u
    test
  8. doctah

doctah I know how to do that...

Back before they ran off the Press A Demo guy, he said "It's much better to have your vocals too loud than too soft. They (the person mastering) can bring the volume of the beat up fairly easily..."

I never got around to asking how they could do it though...

EQ I suppose. Maybe compression based on the general vocal frequencies...
    test
  9. Hammurabi

Hammurabi New Member

thanks all
    test
  10. Atom React

Atom React aka JAYO

There's plug-ins for CEP that helps blend??
    test
  11. LiQuiD6

LiQuiD6 Left hook Justice

its not so much the overall VOLUME of your accapella....but what people fail to realise when your recording at home...is that sometimes lookin at your DB meter can be misleading...certain frequencies clocked in a little louder will still sound like your drowning in the beat...what you need to do is add a little sibilance to your vocals while they are on the beat....try to add some life to them with an EQ.....push up your higher end and high-mids a bit....clock up the 10-15khz just a TINY bit for some air and then push up around the 2-5khz and work your way around the 240hz and up dependent on your voice....

then when you push your vocals up...those frequencies which induce the clarity of your voice will sit nicely in the mix...the lower mids of 240 ish will just introduce some body to your voice..and thicken you up a bit...sometimes trimming a TIIIIINY bit at around 800 makes you sound a lil more...airy...which can help with some people...

then it makes it easier to push up the volume a lil bit on your vocal without having to raise up so much...and this introduces you to a general overall louder sound without clipping ... (which is what professional cd's usually do...but these days mofos is abusing it)
    when you use compression after finding the right clock on your frequencies...you will get your voice to coming off a little fuller on the track..hence making you SIT comfortable on the beat..instead of inside of it...

nothing in what i said is EXACT...its all just something to give you an idea of what to do...so dont take any of the numbers literally....feel me?

oh...i forgot to add that when i record my crew...usually the beat sits around -4 or-5 DB and i push the acapella's around -3 or -2 at the most...that way i have headroom to add whatever i need ....then when im done mixing the song...ill push the volumes up till i hit as HIGH as i can without clipping.... (never mix at the highest db levels...always give yourself a couple DB of room to work with...)
    test
  12. Hammurabi

Hammurabi New Member

thanks everyone, i'm a try everything out
    test
  13. Fonikz

Fonikz ExcuseMeAsIKissTheSkyyy

ya it all depends on your vocals volume,and the beat volume.. with me.. sometimes i have to put the vocal file at -6... but thats only because ive been trying a couple different processes, and some of them make my vocals wicked loud.. but yeah..
    test
  14. jaymz_101

jaymz_101 New Member

wicked loud..hahaha

vocals over beat...
    test
  15. XPM - nic P

XPM - nic P nic P bitches...

just my two cents hamm....

always turn the vocals UP, instead of down (on my set-up afta my vocal process there always hella loud than the beat) turn the vocals rite down, then slowly work up.....

seems to work for me,.....if i work by turning the vocals down to match the beat it neva works, there always too loud
    test
  16. Hammurabi

Hammurabi New Member

thanks nic and everybody else, i'm still trying everything said and more until i get it right lol
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.