Battlers who expect to be paid by leagues...

Discussion in 'Bodybag!: The BVA Hall of Shame' started by Laxin, Mar 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laxin

Laxin ^shitty poster

Ive worked with artists for the last 10 years in Toronto and they have been on the biggest bills and they will tell you themselves that they never got payed for shit. Maybe you got a good promoter but I dont know who would give a nobody a percentage at the door unless you brought 100 friends out to the show.
    test
  2. THE CRUNK GHOST

THE CRUNK GHOST 3PEATERS

a percentage is way less common obviously, and contingent on helping with promotion

but on bigger shows an established local opening for a national act can get a lot better of a guarantee than '50 bucks and 2 drink tickets'
    test
  3. drewthetruth

drewthetruth ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

bro if you need to grasp the long term, new demographic concept that ars brought to the table, it was a strategic move that was worth more than what ganik paid him
    test
  4. xstatic

xstatic New Member

Ars brings eyes to KOTD and it bumps future views. Hopefully they grab new fans from this that were never exposed to KOTD before. That's basically how I found KOTD and now it's my #1.

Ars brings eyes to Pat Stay and does the same for him and Sucker Free ect and ect... it's a huge rollover.

In the end I'm probably thinking Ganic and the boys are breaking even if not losing cash.

Although I did offer to bye a T-shirt and no one got back to me! ha
    test
  5. drewthetruth

cool beans brah

im trying to remember how i was introduced to kotd now
    test
  6. xstatic

xstatic New Member

I went from watching all Jin's battles on Youtube - 106 stuff. To him battling Iron Solomon. Then I jumped on all his stuff. Then Iron battled The Saurus and through The Saurus I found Grindtime. Then the Grindtime dudes started popping up in KOTD and so forth and so on.

I actually stayed with KOTD as my #1 because their video/audio production is top notch. There's nothing worse than seeing a battle and you can't hear shit.
    test
  7. drewthetruth

yeah i started watching smack/sub zero dvds then 106 n park then wrcs then gt then kotd

kotd just has the most legitimate feel to it, everything is done right, production on point, venues tight, good crowds, and post battle interviews
    test
  8. _Organik_

_Organik_ Deaf Villian This Guy's

Imma break something down, I sont thin. U guys understand how much work goes into battle events

setting up a concert is easy and fucking timeless of course there is money to pay people

setting up a concert = booking main act, + opening act which is basically calling, asking if they wanna perform yes no offer payment, it's on this date, flyer will be release on this date, see ya then!! Concerts all u hav to booK is 4 acts. Done simple.
    Then u gotta get flyer made, do promo, rent equiptment, book a DJ and venue and that's about it

setting up a KOTD Battle event, calling 24 rappers and speakig to each for atleast half an hour - 4 hrs about their opponents and what options they have, very costly as LD plans arnt cheap and texts are 1.50 a peixe to Americans from Canada, everyone has an ego so setting up battles is verrryyy Time consuming, then we gotta rent venue, hire photographer, camera crew, secondary camer crew for post interviews, rent equpit, get flyers desined, printed and promoted, online promo, etc etc.. Days of events are VERY streasfull as we rely on video footage so if ppl fck around it ruins everything, we need to hire extra security for extra crowd control, after vents happen webhave the most work ahead, making release schedules that fit in every division equally, editing videos, collecting mc info, sponsor logos for beginning intro,personal mc requets for videos, editing, uploading, updating site, releasing video 'among threads for videos, addng videos in YT playlist, promote videos, all while setting up the next event and working to continually make shit better, I spend hours monitoring this board a day to undertanding what ppl look for and want most

being a concert promoter is petty work compares to this and they get paid better

fuxk my life

everyone is greedy. Wish I could show y'all how I'm livin so yood understand better
    test
  9. andrewins

andrewins Well-Known Member

this thread helped me get a decent grasp on how much work goes in to these events. thanks yo
    test
  10. MrXtrA

MrXtrA Colorado Raps League

organik >>>>>

add into that several hundred in overhead that you have to get covered by sponsors to bring out emcees with plane tickets just to break even...

i'm starting to understand after just 3 months of it
    test
  11. Diglett

Diglett New Member

just think, if everyone who watched pat stay vs arsonal donated just 1 dollar each... damn
    test
  12. drewthetruth

holy shit

one suggestion, try and set up confrences via tinychat as opposed to txting/long distance phone

ganik continues to impress me with his honesty
    test
  13. Laxin

Laxin ^shitty poster

TBH this thread was needed... People think this shit is easy and everyone is making money and living a care free life, far from it.
    test
  14. drewthetruth

this brings up a good point, i would ask for a 25 cent to a dollar donation at the end of every battle via graphic announcement

im sure they would get some kind of response
    test
  15. Laxin

Laxin ^shitty poster

That would be nice in a perfect world but lets be honest people think everything should be free in life.
    test
  16. Long Pause

Long Pause New Member

You should download Skype.

Now, since I've saved you long distance bills (which I conservatively estimate at 10k per month), I'll expect my cut. Paypal email, longpause@superhomo.ca.

On another serious note, you might want to invest in a KOTD web intern, who's well versed in social media, online copywriting and other forms of marketing. You could probably get somebody to work on that shit for free for like 10 or so hours per week just to be associated. Maybe get a yellow name or something.

I'm not going to tell you how to run your company, but let me tell you how to run your company: your time seems super valuable right now. You don't really need to be monitoring forums if you have all that other shit to do, it's not really a good usage of your time/connections.
    test
  17. Diglett

Diglett New Member

tbh I think paypal takes commission, so I dunno how much theyd get
    test
  18. Wird of Pley

Wird of Pley I Slice My Own Ham

Wrong, your actually worth less than what you bring in.

But you started this thread saying battlers should not expect to get paid, and in this quote you just admitted people should be paid if they're bringin in a large amount of the audience.

Thanks for agreeing with me.

Retard.
    test
  19. drewthetruth

ganik, who is this nigga?
    test
  20. drewthetruth

do they take a commission per donation or could it be in bulk?
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.