Battle Royale (Batoru Rowaiaru).

Discussion in 'Movies, Entertainment & Various Music Genres' started by GaLaTeA, Apr 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GaLaTeA

GaLaTeA GymArt

Since mega popular and successful "The Hunger Games" came to cinemas, I thought it appropriate to pull out Japanese brutal and bloody masterpiece, Battle Royale, directed by Kinji Fukusaku; who died back in '03.

42 ​​students, one island, a wide variety of weapons, bloody battle for survival. The force of intriguing situation, that not even even Rutger Hauer (hero movies Wedlock and Salute to the Jugger), Russell Crowe (Gladiator) and James Caan (Rollerball) would be able to survive, if I stay in context. Behind it all is the Japanese governements, well, a former professor a former, a very angry man, who believes that teenagers because of their disrespectful attitude, deserve the bloody fate, where only one will survive, one who'll kill them all.

During an innocent trip he drugs them with food, transports them to a deserted island; an alternative version of Alcatraz; where even Clint Eastwood would be scared to stay on, wakes them up, explains the game rules, indicates that it's all real, then places computer sophisticated collars around their necks, so he can monitor their movements and signs of life, gives them backpack with weapons and orders the game to commence, the most bloody and unrelenting fight of all time. Brutal battle that would demolish even Ice-T (hero of the movie Surviving the Game) and Arnold Schwarzenegger (star of the film Runing Man).

Boys and girls were at first frightened, then turned into bloodthirsty animals, the creatures who must fight for their lives. In the wild as predators, fierce beasts, as Tyrannosaurus Rex and panicking coleric predators, who are aware that death of a friend is a win of the grand prize. There's no more morale, no longer a validity of any law. Here's a feral youth that lives sort of a video game-esque experience live. A reflection of time, where young people are ending up completely lost and off their path. Much like Stanley Kubrick's Clockwork Orange ~ sharp, direct, uncompromising, even better directed, convincing and shocking wild movie, that has forever gathered a circle of fans.
    test
  2. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

been wanting to see this for a few years and keep forgetting about it
    test
  3. GaLaTeA

GaLaTeA GymArt

^The sooner, the better!
    test
  4. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

so did hunger games bite their steez or did battle royal bite their steez?

i watched it, it was pretty good, not enough blood and intense violence though, and buddy with the uzi is the worst shot in the world.

i like the teacher guy as an actor, ive see a few movies starring him, one of my faveorites is the blind swordsman zatoichi....ill make a thread for it
    test
  5. GaLaTeA

GaLaTeA GymArt

The Hunger games tried going in the Battle Royale direction, but it turned into this Rambo for kids version of it ~ I'm guessing to not lose the target audience. Not a bad movie, but could have been done a lot better.
    test
  6. NaSh

NaSh o_

Battle Royale is awesome. It's just behind Oldboy and My Bittersweet Life on my list of Asian movies

Delivered by a Carrier Pigeon called Geoff
    test
  7. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

oldboy was great i agree
    test
  8. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

not sure if ill bother seeing hunger games, from what ive heard its pretty similar with this one being the more badass one.

i like badass
    test
  9. murtaman

murtaman New Member

Not watched this for years. Can only briefly remember the sequel, but the original's still incredible.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.