balance/verticle jump

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by gAY Opinion Fag with a cawk in his throat & bawt, Oct 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. what exercises can i do to improve my verticle jump and balance i play ball and im almost 6'4 and can't dunk.

heres my exercise schedule....

i go to the gym Monday-Wednesday... Thursday-Saturday i do light cardio

I Do 30 Push ups With Palms Then With Fist, 10 With Index Fingers
    I Do 15 Push Ups With My Wrist.. Then 35 Setups In Various Directions..
    I Run For About 5 Minutes In The Morning, After Lunch, And Before I Go To Bed.

Maybe I Should Do Some Ariel Exercises? On Thursday-Saturday I Don't Use Any Weights.
    test
  2. Ben Official

Ben Official Active Member

get a power jumper.
    test
  3. LiveFromThe781

LiveFromThe781 Don Of The Den

research plyometrics
    test
  4. Purple Haze

Purple Haze pop warner hof

lmao @ being 6'4 and can't dunk.

lmao @ doing knuckle pushups and running for 5 minutes to improve balance and vertical.

I think who I know who you are..

Mike? is that you?
    test
  5. whats wrong with that.. alot of basket ball players do push ups with index fingers to prevent finger jams or if they do jam there fingers it wont hurt as bad..a regulation goal is 11ft... i would have to jump like 3-4 ft i got to figure the length of my arms in there tho.. i guess i haven't really been trying but i would love to add the ability to dunk in my arsenal.. i don't run to improve balance and verticle jump i want to know what exercises i do to improve that i was just running through my schedule.. if theres anything to improve my jump it would be these lil steps that we used in PE where we jumped to each one, and each one of the steps where at different heights
    test
  6. Ben Official

deep knee bend jumps, jump rope, toe raises, no arm hops, split leg hops, double leg hops, ankle hops, rim jumps, box jumps

*start without then once you get comfortable with perfect form, use a power jumper.
    test
  7. Gorilla Nasty

Gorilla Nasty I'm lame TBH

test
  8. supacilious

supacilious master of ceremonies

when you can squat 2 times your own bodyweight then you should be able to dunk and do it easilly..and since your somewhat tall you probably will be able to dunk before you reach a double bodywieght squat...

[youtube]Su_GxxMoh3w[/youtube]

this video is kind of funny, but on another forum this guy said this kid weighed 150 lbs at 6' and brought his squat up to 300 lbs...which allowed him to increase his vert tremedously..

vertical jumping has a lot to do with strength at first...if you still cant dunk after getting that strong than a pylometric program should be used...
    test
  9. Purple Haze

What is a 5 minute run going to do?
    Do you expect to be a bench warmer? lol.

You'd be gassed within the first 2 minutes of play.
    At least implement some functional exercises.

suicides and 17's.. you need a mix of speed, agility, and good condition to be effective. In the weight room work on your explosiveness.
    test
  10. GuYaNeSe_KiNg

GuYaNeSe_KiNg New Member

Good flexibility + Good max. strength + Good explosive strength = high vertical
    test
  11. LiveFromThe781

if that kid can squat 300 then i must be able to squat an elephant
    test
  12. 5 Minutes Spread Out In The Day Like After Breakfast, After Dinner And In The Evening....I Do Other Cardio Besides Running...And Actually Playing Ball Is An Exercise To. Im Not Looking For Body Building Strength Here. God Dam Thats Some Crazy Jumping In That Video Id Think Id Fall On My Face If I Try To Jump That. I Always Thought Squats Where Bad On Your Knees.. Ima Try To Atleast Do 100 Hendu Squats I Guess. Maybe 275 Sense Im 255lbs
    test
  13. Purple Haze

you mad.
    test
  14. LiveFromThe781

im not mad at all, im just skeptical. 300 isnt a lot for a 1RM but someone not only weighing 150 pounds but being 6 feet tall...yeah thats a bit hard to believe, especially when you look at that kid's physical shape.

obviously he can clear 60something inches but a 300lb squat atg...or even 1/4th? i seriously doubt it.
    test
  15. i seen a video on that channel where a guy jumped a 66" latter, talking about hops
    test
  16. supacilious

supacilious master of ceremonies

i believe it...he has long limbs so a 300lb squat is an incredible acomplishment for him...so a double bodyweight squat combined with low body fat and long limbs = big vertical jump and an even bigger running vert

heres another guy...he weighs 160 and has a legit 40" vertical...but i don't think he can dunk due to his height...

[youtube]kLnUDaxMmnU[/youtube]

he reps 325...

[youtube]TVKayGh7LTg[/youtube]
    40" vertical
    test
  17. LiveFromThe781

well ill be damned, that motherfucker can jump.

how tall is that other kid in the video though? if hes short than he has a good jump, if hes tall he has a better squat, either way; good for him.
    test
  18. dose anyone watch that ninja warrior show on G4
    test
  19. Ben Official

lol hell yea
    test
  20. Graphx

Graphx Word? Word!

did anybody miss the fact that homey said he was 277 fuckin pounds?

At 6'4...

This guy doesn't need to work on his vertical...he needs to work on his diet and intense cardio...wtf, 5 minutes is prolly all he can do

It's not that you can't dunk and need to work on your vertical...it's 'you can't jump becuz you need to lose weight'
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.