b r a h's 100 fave films!

Discussion in 'Movies, Entertainment & Various Music Genres' started by Brahman, Oct 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brahman

Brahman Mel Van Peebles

thenotoriouseeg:

the proposition? really? when did you see it?

why haven't you mentioned it in any of the threads?

have you seen the good, the bad, and the ugly or once upon a time in the west?
    test
  2. menaz

menaz Avant Garde

You act like a line such as: "hey, quit big timin cyrus the virus" was meant to be serious? Anyway, I'm not comparing the movies that would be dumb. I'm comparing the cheesy scripted lines in the movies to how some cheesy characters can vocalize them. Therefore, making them both bad cheesy lines each but in different movies.

Have you ever seen a tv show that goes through the 100 cheesest lines in movies? well i'm saying Almost famous is on that list. I'm not arguing anything
    But my opinion here. Did I care you hated saw 3? NO!

No shit, But when you add the character you get the Whole flaw.
    it was a script flaw And I didn't like the lame character so yes it was a
    a character flaw too. i'm not changing my mind about that movie.

Because you seemed to be one. I have a hunch you are not a Film maker, Therefore you don't know what is good and what is bad. You just know what you like and then compare it to what others didn't like. You are a pseudo-intellectual film analyzer. Just because I don't feel like being as passonate about a movie as you do does not mean I didn't get it. GOT IT!

I didn't say it was bad, I said it wasn't worthy of MY LIST!
    No it was apples and Oranges.

An actor from TD winning a oscar has nothing to do with the Screen play for ALMOST FAMOUS winning an oscar. They both won oscars, but not for the same thing.

All I meant by that was exactly what you stated. Your own personal outlook!
    I found alot of your moives on your list great. just not the ones I listed.
    I'm not coming at you, you were over reacting coming at me. i'm defending myself.
    To me it's just a conflicting opinion! You seem confussed by what I meant hopefully I clarfied it.
    test
  3. TheNotoriousEEG

TheNotoriousEEG Here and There

Oops...I meant to remove that one. Haven't seen it. I haven't seen the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly or Once Upon a Time
    test
  4. Brahman

Brahman Mel Van Peebles

menaz:

eh, your argument is getting really loopy and making less and less sense, so i'll leave that alone

wrong... i'm about to kill this statement thoroughly. read and pay close attention.

everyone is a filmmaker

we are all capable of playing out scenarios in our heads and can sit down to draw up storyboards resembling those imaginations, thus we are all filmmakers at heart. the only thing missing is the technical know-how on how to actually put it all together, and that can be learned in minutes as robert rodriguez can attest to with his el mariachi project.

stanley kubrick once said something like, "everyone can and should make at least one film before they die"

regardless of whether it would be well-reviewed or as popular as his work was, it would nonetheless be a film... a creation

so, how would lacking the knowledge to work a camera, something a lot of directors don't even necessarily need to know how to do, mean that i "don't know what's 'good' or 'bad'"?

john hillcoat, the director of the proposition, is by your narrow-minded definition "a filmmaker", yet i'm sure you would claim (however falsely) that he doesn't know what's good or bad due to your misguided views of his brilliant work of art... thus negating any notion that having the technical know-how of film production gives one an "upper hand" on taste

wow @ the destruction

i love the direction this thread is going though. i didn't want it to be just about my list. i wanted philosophies about the art to be shared.
    test
  5. Konscious

Konscious Resident Sage

Brahman, judging from your list, I see that you're not averse to comedies and you recognize that they do have value... I want to know did you ever consider two of the best comedies from the '90's?: There's Something About Mary and Groundhog Day... I think either one of those movies could compete with The Big Lebowski.

Or what about two very good comedies from the '80s?: When Harry Met Sally and Back to the Future.

Despite their commercial success and mainstream appeal, they were outrageously funny and very original pieces of cinema. The writing for When Harry Met Sally probably inspired Larry David and Jerry Seinfeld for the situational romances and dating depicted in their classic sitcom. Billy Crystal's wit was as sharp as a knife. And Back to the Future had undeniable charm.... it was also one of the most clever and entertaining movies of the '80s "science fiction/future" craze.

Going back to the '90s... There's Something About Mary was a laugh-a-minute riot and Bill Murray was Oscar-worthy in Groundhog Day... both two highly rated comedies by critics.
    test
  6. Konscious

Konscious Resident Sage

Also, I think its noteworthy that the following are glaringly omitted:

Bonnie & Clyde (one of the first movies to depict violence realistically and unflinchingly... a schtick that Scorsese pedaled to cinematic genius)

Psycho (classic horror picture or psychological thriller... eerie score)

Thelma & Louise (beautiful photography, great characterizations and development by underrated director Ridley Scott)

Natural Born Killers (artsy and violent, great satire of modern day serial killer glorification)

Boyz in the Hood (a better film than Menace..., which made all other 'hood flicks' appear cliche-ic and lacking in depth)
    test
  7. Konscious

Konscious Resident Sage

upping for Brahman
    test
  8. Brahman

Brahman Mel Van Peebles

konscious:

- there's something about mary: i've only seen the first 15 minutes of it, which was very funny

- groundhog day: you're right, bill murray rips it... i especially love the scenes with ned, but i found that scenes that like were kind of few and far in between. his performance alone can't carry it enough to compete with the big lebowski though, imo. i respect the ingenuity of the storyline and how well-crafted the film is, but i definitely prefer the frequency of laughs in tbl

- when harry met sally: haven't seen

- back to the future: long time, no see

- bonnie & clyde: haven't seen

- psycho: it's listed!!!

- thelma & louise: long time, no see, but i remember enough to know it wouldn't make my 100 faves. it has everything you mentioned going for it, but so do a lot of other movies that don't become faves

- natural born killers: haven't seen

- boyz in the hood: along with menace ii society, this is one i'd like to revisit after i've undergone my "good taste awakening"... back in the day, i definitely preferred miis, but i honestly don't know how i'd view the both of them now. miis made the list mostly for nostalgic reasons. i watched it a ton of times and cried during almost every sitting. should be interesting to compare with this new perspective.
    test
  9. Konscious

Konscious Resident Sage

You need to see the rest of it... it's freakin' hysterical!! I like it better than TBL.

You have a point with the frequency of laughs in TBL, if that's your main deciding factor... I guess, Groundhog Day did have too much drama, but that's what made it so complete.

Fucking rent it or buy it this weekend, dude... best romantic comedy of all time, IMO.

I put it best like this: it's a love story for guys who hate love stories.

This is a 'must-have' in any movie-lover's collection... it's a watershed moment in cinema.

I KNOW you would like this, considering your sensibilities.

I never cried during Menace...... it was BITH that had that effect on me. One thing Menace has over BITH is great cinematography... and the violence was more realistic and graphic... but BITH was more cohesive and had better writing, although there were some trademark John Singleton heavy-handed moments that could've either been toned down or eliminated. The dialogue in Menace was very cliche-ic to me... I guess, because I had had my fill of west coast gangsta rap music by the time of its release in '93 that it became overkill.

Also, the characters were given more depth in BITH, while they appeared soul-less or cartoonish in Menace. You never really understood why they were the way they were... just senseless killing after senseless killing.
    test
  10. The Jeus

The Jeus _________

i wasn't too big on there's something about mary, but when harry met sally is deserving of the hype, second best modern romantic comedy, behind annie hall.
    test
  11. Nimrod

Nimrod Nimi Hendrix

you need to peep saving private ryan, and i still hate u for not likin forrest gump as much as i think u should
    test
  12. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

Brahman, you never responded to my comments... and they were excellent points, too.
    test
  13. teq the decider

teq the decider sexual predator

he ducking you. Ducking you like a bitch
    test
  14. Brahman

Brahman Mel Van Peebles

[funny] my boy teq

"ducking"

wtf

and, kon, i didn't really see anything that merited a reply, because i felt i had everything covered already

i thought i replied actually... now i remember typing stuff up but not completing it

it may be a more well-rounded film, but being more well-rounded doesn't always constitute being better. there are many westerns that can be seen as "more complete" than the good, the bad, and the ugly, and all of them are still inferior

i simply find the zaniness of the big lebowski to be pure genius, and it's a movie that made a bigger impact on me. the characters, the situations, the lines... i love the off-kilter world it creates.

can't really say i agree or disagree with any of this, because like i said... they're two movies i have to revisit after my "good taste awakening". menace ii society stuck with me more though.

i will say that i didn't find anything "soulless" or "cartoonish" about the characters, and as i've said with other films and similar to what i said above... it's possible for a film with less character depth to be better than one with more as long as it has good filmmaking and situational intensity (ie. the proposition), which i remember menace ii society having in spades
    test
  15. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

See, that's what I be trying to tell Ixt in our Jay Z-Nas arguments when he keeps coming back with 'Jay is more complete.' Good point.

Another good point. I guess when it comes to certain dramas, I expect a level of character depth in the stories, especially when the film portrays the life cycle of an individual and how they came to be. I thought the lead actor Tyrin Turner was kinda weak and the writing of his story was cliche-ic. It served a purpose for gripping 'hood drama, but had a mediocre narrative device.
    test
  16. SadistiK1

SadistiK1 Washingtonian

Brahman, I think you would be blown away by Carl Theodore Dreyer's " The Passion of Joan of Arc" It has a lot of characteristics you seem to like in movies.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.