Azes "Budget Mic Guide"

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by Aze', Oct 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BPINCdef

BPINCdef Renaissance Man

the v63bp is one of them new battery powered condensors, but i wudnt recommend it as pre-amps will always be better
    and to spitz....
    vocals is aite, what pre and soundcard?
    test
  2. H20

H20 New Member

PreSonaus TubePre Pre-Amp....and a SOUNDMAX on board stock joint (the shitty one....right)....
    test
  3. Les W

Les W Was Helped By Point Game

you didn't make a recommendation for a deep voice or is this just a seinheisher/sure commercial :)
    test
  4. mic1tharula

mic1tharula 790 verbal

senny'z n SHURe'z da illests other dan audix if u talkin dynamikz
    test
  5. Aze'

Aze' that's the dummy alarm

Les, the whole point of this was to try and tell you NOT to limit something down to a certain mic. I was talking about the 58's and e835's for examples.

If you have a deep voice, than find a mic that has a really good high pickup. Also remember how important miking is, you're going to want to back away from the mic more than usual.
    test
  6. Buttersworth

Buttersworth the man behind the syrup

uhh....uppin. lol.
    test
  7. Syntax_Mastery

Syntax_Mastery Emcee/Producer/Engineer

you posess the mic i want

the blueberry
    test
  8. AllOrNothinEnt

AllOrNothinEnt Retired from Rapmusic.com

Some things some people need to udnerstand are.

1. Don't go out and spend $$$$$ if you've never recorded before, take your time, and move up piece by piece, learn how to use the equipment, before you go diving into untested waters.

2. Just because Ghetalion went to Full Sail, doesn't mean everyone needs to suck his dick like a baby does to a mothers tit.
    He doesn't know everything, and he's been at this for a few years, which is a blink compared to actual pro's.
    If you listen to every word Ghetalion says, you'll be having the quality that he can give you, not what YOU yourself can disvover by your own methods.

3. There is no perfect mic, nor perfect vocal process, learn to do the shit yourself.

4. If you REALLY want to know about mics, ask a pro.
    Go to www.google.com, and search for professional producers, Harvey Gerst comes to mind, and he HIGLY reccommends MXL mics, as well as other's, so regardless of what Ghetalion says, those are only HIS opinions, and he is in NO way a pro, neither am I, so go do some research, and practice this stuff yourselfs, see what works best for you.
    test
  9. Aze'

^ that is the truth. What I've been trying to say since day one is -- DON'T look for a specific recomindation of a mic, or a process to record by. Find whats best for you.

Wana know my recording process? I record vocals as flat as I can, then think "what should be done to THIS track?" then I do it... I don't use a set ammount of compression, or a certain EQ, or a single reverb setting, or set my limiter, or Desser to a certain setting. It's all play-by-ear.

If you don't know the stuff, you learn it as you go. Don't listen to other people if they tell you "you need to get THIS mic" or "use this process". Just take a few months out a learn the basics.... then once you've got that down it's all about learning and getting better. Along the way you become a 'pro'.
    test
  10. mic1tharula

mic1tharula 790 verbal

hahah..wait ghet isn't the best producer out there???
    test
  11. Aze'

^ I thought ghet was more of an engineer. And just as new to this stuff as me -- which isn't a bad thing at all. I do sense alot of hostility and agresivnes from that one -- but it shows that he's hungry... I think.

Can someone get me a chocolate chip cookie, those really big ones, and a little hand-bottle of 2% milk? I'd get it myself, the store is only a block away from the studio -- but I'm afraid I've been sitting in this chair so long I've lost that abillity
    test
  12. Fonikz

Fonikz ExcuseMeAsIKissTheSkyyy

shit i just recently copped a behringer b-2 pro and a presonus blue tube preamp... i use a stock soundcard.. my rooms not all that quiet either, just shut your windows, turn off the ac/fan,tv.. simple as that..lol my qualitys pretty damn good with a b-2 and a blue tube preamp...
    test
  13. AllOrNothinEnt

AllOrNothinEnt Retired from Rapmusic.com

I agree about the pre-amp, it is dope for the price.
    test
  14. Massacre Monroe

Massacre Monroe REDRUM CAPITOL (DETROIT)

Are "KOSS" Mics Good?
    test
  15. mic1tharula

mic1tharula 790 verbal

test
  16. Aze'

boo @ the pre-amp. I don't like any of those stand-alone mic pre-amps that are under $500. I think the sound coming out of a Mackie or Yamaha Mixers pre-amps sound MUCH better.... I just run my mics into my Digi002 Rack's pre-amps, but soon enough I'm going to start running them threw an analog board. I would use the MG10/2's, but it's not SO much greater that it's worth the toggling with the gain and level knobs. I'll start running threw analog boards when I get that new Yamaha board I'm looking at.

Now on to other things -- the Behringer mic selection sucks, all of them, especially the B1 and 2 that every new-2-audio kid gets. boo @ that. and about shutting windows - turning off fans and all that... (1). it's a pain in the ass... (2).. it may give you good quality 'for a b1 mic', but it's still b1 quality which is shitty... I'd rather record on a $80 radio shack mic... honestly.
    test
  17. Drschmalzy

Drschmalzy Active Member

I agree with most of what you said...

But I record in a room, computer fan is my only thing I hear which isn't noticable, and I'm making my booth(should be done soon).

I've used all the Shure ones at Radio Shack and I used a Shure Sm58...

I hate radio Shack mics... I've went through em all and none of them worked out for me...
    I picked up a Marshall v63m bp, which was good...(I was cheap on budget)...
    Then I copped the Behringer B-1(Which you hate as much as I hate Radio Shack mics). Now This mic works ten times better than the Shure sm58 in my opinion when I had it... I don't have no deep voice but a mid and the B-1 worked good... I know how to Eq so I make it sound pretty good as far as the quality people use on this site, I say mine is close...(except the peeps that use the Blue mics and shit).

This is just my opinion, you may have bad experiences with B-1 and B-2's... W/e

but like you said, whatever fits ur voice...

Hey what about that Blue Microphone "The Ball" it's like a dynamic but u need it to be powered by phantom voltage...?

Well Pz...
    test
  18. veral conflict

veral conflict beatsrus

i just copped a mxl 990, n a alesis 8fx mixer.... n juss wanna ask, is the alesis pre-amp on the mixer good??? n how do u turn off the fan of the comp???
    test
  19. Aze'

Doc, as I said -- it may fit your voice. And also, as I said, Verbatim has a behringer b1, a behringer mixer and a stock soundcard -- still has better quality than alot of kids with much more expensive (and generally better) equiptment, because he knows how to use it. He knows how to set levels, and EQ. So for some the B1 may be great, or even a dream - but for the most part it's just a hunk-of-junk... also - when I first started, and I was using a computer microphone (built in one) I thought that was illy. Til I got a radio-shack mic, and I thought that was ill... until I started to study music and I realised it was ALL shit. So it may just be untrained ears that lead you to beleive that the quality is better then it is... not saying that you don't have good quality, just saying you could be mistaken.
    test
  20. Drschmalzy

Drschmalzy Active Member

haha yeah I understand what your talkin about...

I haven't had the chance to use some of the great mics u used so I couldn't compare
    a real good mic to the behringer, but I just compared it to a shure sm58 and shit...

so when I get a good mic I'll probably understand where ur coming from...
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.