Azes "Budget Mic Guide"

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by Aze', Oct 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aze'

Aze' that's the dummy alarm

The Aze "Low-Budget mic shoppers guide".

I'm going to make this quick. The biggest mistake I see being made is people going for what 'other people' say is good. Not everyone has the same voice, so no one mic is going to fit everyone perfectly. You REALLY have to shop arround for what sounds best on you -- go to your local pro audio center and ask the sales-man to let you test the mics out on one of their mixers. They will let you, else they are really stupid. And don't be affraid to ask, you are about to drop (possibly) hundreds of your own hard-worked-for dollars on a single peice of equiptment. YOU DISERVE SOME DAMN GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE!

Now, some of you shop online and such, meaning you can't test them out -- and some just don't have that ear for what sounds good. Let me give a little chart here.

- If you have a high-pitch voice go for a mic that has a good low-end pickup. For those of you looking to only spend 100-200 dollars I would really suggest a Sennheiser e835 or a ShureSM58 (yes, the dynamic mics... guess what people, some professional artists ACTUALLY use these to record albums). If you can afford more, just look arround for a good mic that will pick up that bass in your voice more.
    - If you have a mid-tone voice (which most males do) then you're battle is already half finished. Because most performers have a mid-range vocal pitch, most mics are designed for this -- you just need a mic with good pickup, period, you can always add some bass or up the hi's by EQ. If you're on a budget of about 100-200, again, get a SM58 or a Sennheiser e835. If you can afford more, look for a mic with good pickup on low and hi.
    - If you have a low-pitch (bassy) voice, then I should really say, DO NOT get an SM58 or a e835, because these will pick up the bass from your voice a little TOO much, making most of your tracks muddy. You're going to have to spend some time EQ'ing more than necissary and it's (usually) not going to sound very good.

Another thing I must point out -- is that environment really means alot. If you are in a noisy place (A.C sound, Computer Fan, next to a window facing the outside world) then you're going to want a dynamic, or a good uni-directional mic. One of my prized mics is this $1,000 B.L.U.E blueberry mic, it's amazing, but when I first got it (before I moved it to the studio) I tested it in my room, and it picked up the computer fan, AC, and some birds chirping a block away. My vocals sounded great, but there was all that fuzzy noise, buzzing, and the chirping.. I tried it again in the studio and it sounds like a dream, shit, I wish my voice sounded that good all the time =o)

Anyways, I'm just bored, and tomorrow is my dullest-day in a long time, all I have to do is wait for the Bell South guy to connect the phone/fax line in my Studio.
    test
  2. Aze'

Notice how I recomend the e835 and the SM58 alot. Truth is, most people are on this mic budget of 100-200, and have no booth. Well, these mics are (IMO) the best dynamics for their price, and they are ideal for the basic at-home setup for recording. Don't downplay them too much either, they can be little dream makers (or nightmares). I would hate to hear a bassy voiced person on a e835 without alot of EQing... eww...
    test
  3. Aze'

blah... blah blah....
    test
  4. mic1tharula

mic1tharula 790 verbal

most of this is straight truth. aze, tell them bitches.
    test
  5. Aze'

... I'm trying, I'm trying..... hehehe... but I know I'll see a thousand other thread "which mic should I get for $200?.. I don't have a booth or anything but I want a good sounding mic"...

what can ya do? I try to help
    test
  6. MC_CuJo

MC_CuJo Mr. Fat Nutz to YOU!

ok, so answer me this...

I got a mid-range voice like most peeps, and i was gonna cop the Studio Projects B1 w/ a sonus TUBEPRE (Cause im on a pretty strict budget)...are you saying I should cop the Shure SM58 Dynamic of the B1 Condenser??? since they are around the same price.
    test
  7. Aze'

Don't get me wrong, Studio Projects B1 (and must from that company) are nice mics [for the price], but we've got to put some things into place. You're on a budget right? So it's safe to assume (and I could be wrong) that you don't have a very dead room with NO noise -- a place that has no reverb, and theres no A.C noise, and not computer nosie. And since you (probably) don't, the SPb1 would be a nightmare with the 'staticky' noise [which is really the fans]... In this case, yes, get a SM58 or an e835.
    If you do have a booth it can go either way. And unless you really want to do alot of extra-work to fine-tune that B1 on every track, then, still, go with the dynamic.

Everyone downs the dynamic mics SO much when it comes to recording -- but go to most studios and you will see shelves of SM57's, 58's, e835's and other dynamic mics. They really arn't so horrible.. They are great for recording a wide selections of instruments, and they arn't so horrible for the voice.

So really the question is.. do you have a booth?.. if the answer is no then get a dynamic, if the answer is yes then ask yourself 'do i want to fiddle arround with it every session.. or do i want something just about good to go'.
    test
  8. Aze'

... I think this should get sticky'd
    test
  9. Milo

Milo Guest

^^ i think you're too excited about your "studio."

i agree that the SM58 sounds completely muddy with at least a tiny bit of base. if it were to record female vocals, that'd be decent. still, for vocals in a studio, don't go to a shure sm58.

my best advice, is in the 200$ range, is to get the audio-technica at3035. the studioprojects c1 sounds a little bit airey.
    test
  10. MC_CuJo

MC_CuJo Mr. Fat Nutz to YOU!

and yes i got a quiet room , I got a small closet that I can put foam/blankets in, and the only noise is my computer fan but that is hardly hearable and I can find away to silence it if it does become a problem.
    test
  11. Syn 6

Syn 6 back off hiatus

sup aze ..
    test
  12. Aze'

Milo, did you pay ANY attention to the post? Most kids that are looking for a $200 mic don't have a deadnd room, or a quiet room for that matter -- the PC fans are going off, the AC is blasting noise, as well as outside noise.
    What do you mean by putting the quotations on "studio"? That right there shows me that you are coming off pretty ignorantly, along with the fact that you COMPLETLY ignored my reasons for suggesting those dynamics.
    SM58 over a AT3035 for a person recording in a regular room with their computer HANDS DOWN. I've had the AT3035 -- I've had that noisy, live room.

PLEASE stop with the "if it isn't me, it must suck" attitude, thats not going to get you anywhere. I know what I'm talking about.
    Get the AT3035 if you have $200, thats the solution? Damn, I had NO clue mic selection was as simple as "if you have this much money, get this"... Shit you should go teach some of the audio gurus some shit man -- I'm sure Dre and them are dying to get in your conferance...

Bleh, I hate people who hate (contradictive, isn't it? hehe).

ANYWAYS.. pay no attention to that post that milo just made...
    test
  13. Predator INC

Predator INC New Member

man lol. the oktava 319 shits on all the rodes and mashalls ask ghet even lol.
    test
  14. Milo

Milo Guest

Aze, i'm not hating on you. i was stating my opinion. look at it this way,

didn't you just say that people should cop the Blueberry microphone? how come i'm not allowed to suggest a microphone, considering it's one of the best and has a wide vocal range for that price range? didn't you just mention contradictions?

unless you're recording in the middle of the street, you'll figure out how to utilize your microphone. for example, i live in a city without a deadned room, and still have no problem with my C1 picking up extra noise.

a: try a limiter.
    b: turn the gain down, (of course.)
    c: noise reduction if you feel the need to.

i agree with what you said about an SM-58. however, most males have bass in their voices, so that's not a very good option. for real vocal range, get a condensor mic. the thing about SMs, is that they're pretty much indestructable, making them the stage performance standard.

i wish microphone selection was that easy as well. it's a suggestion which i've made, considering most other threads say, "get this, get that, get this, get that." open your eyes, don't be so defensive.
    test
  15. Aze'

^ My bad about the agressiveness on the post -- It was late (as it is now) and I was cranky. Anyways...
    I don't remember saying "Cop the blueberry" here, infact the only times I really ever suggest the Blueberry in a general speaking is for those who are looking for a good mic to record multiple instruments/voices. So no, I don't think anything I said was hypocritical.
    I understand where you are coming from, but that kind of limiting is exactly what I was working AGAINST here. The mic may be great for you, but it is not for everyone -- and tho' wherever you are may have (good enough) recording situations, most without a booth do not. I'm not even sure how good your quality is, I've never checked you out -- but if you have any fan/computer noise in the background then I don't care if you limit, EQ, or whatever -- you can make it somewhat better, but not as good as you could'v e made it if it was clear from the start.

Again, sorry for blowing up on your Milo, but I'd rather not have this thread become a debate. Lets just let the people read it and ask questions (as they should). I'm going to sleeep... I've got ANOTHER 12 hour day at the studio.
    test
  16. Milo

Milo Guest

^^ no doubt.
    test
  17. H20

H20 New Member

test
  18. MadIzm

MadIzm americaonline

lmao..
    kids know a days have like 900000 dollar speakers
    it doesnt matter how much money you spend
    your quality is always gunna have room for improvement
    test
  19. H20

H20 New Member

of course if you dont know how to use it...lol
    test
  20. Ear: Complex

Ear: Complex ear to the streets

what about the V63MBP by MXL ... i seen it on musicians friend.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.