Avalon 737stereo pre-amp or Avalon 747????? big difference?

Discussion in 'Audio Producers Discussions' started by P R I M O, Oct 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. P R I M O

P R I M O Shout out to Autotune

any of ya'll know? i know a few people got avalons on here. im debatin which 1 to get, i can get em both at the same price. i read up on the shits and the only difference i could see in them were the $300 price change...
    test
  2. SamSneed

SamSneed TrackWorks

the 737sp is a preamp with comp/eq and is not stereo, its only one channel, and the 747 is a stereo compressor/limiter with eq.
    test
  3. the exposer

the exposer The Music Luvas

737... is only mono... the eqs are more surgical you get a direct di in the front for bass gtr... and has a different sound cuz the 737 is meant more for mics... (vocal,bass, gtr,)

the 747 is stereo meant more for keyboards.. has not direct input.. missing the HI-Z function the 737 has (whiich aswome on vocals put them rite in your face) the eq is more a balancer...

if your needing vocals,gtr,live bass 737..

if your wanting your keyboards to have a lil more character the 747... there no phanotom power on the 747 so no condensor mics.
    test
  4. P R I M O

Damn, sounds like they make it to where you need to have both.

I do vocals but I track out beats too.

Tough decision.

I got a cheap lil pre-amp now for vocals...ya'll are telling me the 747 will have no kind of effect on my vocals if I use it?
    test
  5. Realtime Ent

Realtime Ent T.A.P.

i owned the 737 at one point it sounds great the compressor i thought was useless on it but the DI is good for guitars and bass.. but if you can get the other at the same price why wouldnt you... stereo pre will give you more options recording things 2 pre's are better than one
    test
  6. P R I M O

Yeah but I want to be able to have it help my vocals when I record too.

If the 747 won't help my vocals out at all I dunno...
    test
  7. SamSneed

SamSneed TrackWorks

they are two different beasts...and really for two different applications

the 737sp is a mic pre with a comp/eq...you plug your mic into it

the 747 is a comp/eq, i guess you could plug your mic into also, but only after a preamp in the signal chain...

747 would be great as an insert FX though, but honestly unless your working with at least good converters i wouldnt get it to use as an insert...well i guess you still could...and i wouldnt get it if your using it in your mic chain before it hits the converters either, unless you already got a nice preamp...if not, then you should definitely get the 737sp first, i think a quality preamp is more important then a quality compressor/eq, besides the eq and the comp on the 737sp are both nice
    test
  8. the exposer

the exposer The Music Luvas

dion if you trying to use it for vocals.... the 737 is where you wanna go...

the 737 is real nice in vocals... I use U47 mic to 737 to LA2A and all my clients are satisifed.

the 747 doesnt have phantom power therefore can not run a condesor microphone... like a (Neuman... AKG... Sure mics...)

if its for vocals remeber you need a nice mic aswell.... but if you using it for cutting demos dont sweat it...

make your clients take you to the nice studio ya dig...
    test
  9. P R I M O

Yeah I feel that. Thanks for helpin me understand that shit. I wanna run my racks through that avalon before they hit the DAW. I'm guessing the 747 will give the sounds from the racks a lil more warmth to em, which is what I want.

Good look ya'll.

737 - Mics / Vocals
    747 - Keyboards / Racks

End Result - Avalon tryin to make mothafuckas cop both units.

Smart.
    test
  10. SamSneed

SamSneed TrackWorks

you know what you should look into getting if ya just want something for warmth for your line inputs...look into the neve portico 5042

http://rupertneve.com/products/portico-5042/

its a tape emulator/saturater, and it has gotten a lot of great reviews.
    test
  11. P R I M O

Bet, I'm gonna check that out.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.