Audio Interface issues

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by MC Devious, Mar 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MC Devious

MC Devious New Member

Ok I just purchased a new Tascam Us 144mk II for recording and it has two line in's for a mic. Left line and right line. How the hell do I make it record on both left and right tracks when recording in on the left or right? In other words if it's plugged on the left I only get play back on the left speaker from my speakers. I am positive people who use these are not recording once on the left then again on the right lol
    test
  2. Mr. ROUSH

Mr. ROUSH WWW.SOUNDCLICK.COM/ROUSH

Couple of solutions here.. #1 you should be using the mic in and not the line in, but I'm guessing you probably have a preamp or something in your chain which is why you are using the line in instead, correct? If not.. line in is not exactly mic in.. not that you can't use it.. but you're better off using the xlr conection unless you have to use the line in for whatever reason..

Now.. none of the above are related to your question exactly.. here's what's happening.. you are recording to a stereo track in whatever DAW software you're using.. audition, pro tools, nuendo.. whatever.. line in L is a mono input and so is line in R.. if you wanted it to record on the left and right channels on a stereo track then you would have to use the left and right line in jacks on your tascam at the same time.. i.e.. two mics in an x-y configuration.. which actually is a great method when you use one condenser and one dynamic mic... but.. primarily for vocals you want to record mono.. so leave it connected to the line in L.. and create a mono track in your DAW to record to.. as long as the pan on the mono track is dead center then it will come out of both speakers...

so the short answer.. you're just not recording on the right kind of track in your program.. you have it set up just fine.. if you have more trouble.. let me know what software you're using and I'll tell you how to create a mono track. good luck..
    test
  3. MC Devious

MC Devious New Member

Ok I have not tried it yet but I think I get the idea. I use acid pro and figure there is a setting to record in mono instead of stereo which should be all I need to change. I upgraded my setup hoping to get some better quality and it sounds like the quality is better on one side so far lol. Thanks for the help man.
    test
  4. Mr. ROUSH

Mr. ROUSH WWW.SOUNDCLICK.COM/ROUSH

lol.. no problem, any time.. let me know if you can't figure it out.. should be an option when you create a track, or it should be an option that you can change on each track in the multitrack..

You can also record on a stereo track and pan the left channel to center and it will split the mono to l/r out of both speakers.. but better to just record your vocals on a mono track.. good luck.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.