ATTN: NYC residents...

Discussion in 'Overtime: Off-Topic Discussion' started by BLAZE-WON, Jan 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BLAZE-WON

BLAZE-WON GOD BODY

Yo i got a job opportunity for a spot in NYC.
    Not too much more than what i make now plus i'm sure NYC's expenses would deplete that. I've only been out to NY a couple times, so i was getting at ya'll for some advice. I've been to every burrough except the Bronx. Being where i'm at now...I don't get shook at these places cats say "not to go".

But i do got a wife and sun and i'm not trying to be looking at a spot off 125th or some shit. I really liked Queens last time i came out there. It reminds me more of dallas than any other spots out there. Can ya'll give me any good tip jobs about some of the areas in queens and what spots are the best to look in...as far as price and quality?

I know Jamaica is a nice spot.
    Anyways nothing set in stone...just considering some opportunites.
    I'd prolly end up saving more money in dallas, but i like the idea of being in NYC i ain't gon lie.
    test
  2. Soul Khansenses

Soul Khansenses Soul Khansenses

For families?

In Queens:
    Forest Hills
    Astoria
    Long Island City
    Rego Park
    Woodhaven

In Brooklyn:
    Park Slope (5th Ave or lower)
    Fort Greene
    Bay Ridge
    Borough Park
    Midwood
    Bensonhurst

In Manhattan;
    Inwood/Washington Heights
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  3. bobbaforce

bobbaforce I don't give a nada

middle village is real nice as well, and close to manhattan

some parts of jamaica are really nice, but others are not so nice at all
    test
  4. Minkaveli

Minkaveli VoKab

Depends on what you want...You wanting a faster paced life? Or would you enjoy staying where youre at? I got family on Long Island and they've been there since the 50s. I've been there a few times and its nice. You just gotta ride the train to town. The weather is nicer out there. You actually have seasons.
    test
  5. BLAZE-WON

BLAZE-WON GOD BODY

coo, what about corona or jamaica (round the st johns area)??

also seen some nice spots in long island for decent prices.
    whats out there like? i bet the commute is a bitch.
    test
  6. bobbaforce

i live close to the border of the end of queens and the start of nassau (long island) and it takes me about an hour and fifteen minutes to get to manhattan by public transportation..

kinda sucks especially since i got to school in manhattanan and commute everyday

my girl on the other hand lives in middle village and she can easily get to manhattan in 20 mins.

i dont know enough about corona to tell you bout that, but if your talking about st johns the college, its really nice around there.
    test
  7. BLAZE-WON

BLAZE-WON GOD BODY

We have pretty good seasons in Dallas. It doesn't snow as much but it still gets in the 30's and 40's during the winter. Summer is hot but not near as humid as NY.

Like i said i've been in NYC and its not as fast pace and "packed' as it seems on TV or what it's said to be. DFW is the 4th biggest metro area in the US so i'm used to the population. Fast pace doesnt really bother me. Right now trying to weigh my options more financially than anything.
    test
  8. BLAZE-WON

BLAZE-WON GOD BODY

well fuck that idea. i never understood why the trains took so damn long to go short distances in NYC it seems like...lol.
    the Dart train here i can get across the city in like than 30 minutes. lol.

I swear it took me 2 hours to get from LES to st johns last time i was there.
    i was like WTF...i could walk faster than this.
    test
  9. Minkaveli

Minkaveli VoKab

Does NY charge state and Federal Taxes? When I was in Cali they charged State and Federal Taxes and when I moved back to Washington, they only charge Federal Tax so I make more money that way. I made pretty close to 100k last year and they taxed the shit out of it in Cali. I gotta file two types of tax forms and its meaningless extra work.
    test
  10. bobbaforce

haha yeah its not great. you could take the long island railroad and get to manhattan pretty quick from where i live(35-45 mins) but its like 7 or 8 bucks one way and thats way to expensive so i stick to bus and subway
    test
  11. BLAZE-WON

BLAZE-WON GOD BODY

Word. I eat that in Mcdonalds everyday. hahaha. Nah but real talk i wouldn't have to use my car as much in NY, that could save some money.

Damn....WTF do you do man? thats pretty good moolah.
    But TX just charges Federal tax, but we also have sales tax.
    test
  12. Yeah Dude

Yeah Dude New Member

You should check out some of the cities in North Jersey.

Hoboken is a nice town, my brother lives there, and I've seen tons of families around during the day. It seems like its got a good mix of young professionals and the old neighborhood types too. It's not all that expensive, but i don't think I'd call it cheap. It's pretty short commute to the city too, probably shorter than alot of the other boroughs depending on where you live.
    test
  13. BLAZE-WON

BLAZE-WON GOD BODY

Word, the place i would be commuting to would actually be closer to upstate NY but it's a job where i would stay on the resort thurs-mon. so it wouldnt be a daily commute
    test
  14. Minkaveli

Minkaveli VoKab

Both NY and Texas have sales tax as does almost every state except Oregon and Alaska. However, you should see if NY charges a state tax that they take out of your paycheck on top of the federal tax. Thats what California did to me and my company paid me more because I relocated there. If the company pays you an extra 5-600 per month than you should be fine.
    test
  15. BLAZE-WON

BLAZE-WON GOD BODY

yeah but i aint making no where close to 100k a year either.
    in dallas, you'd be making enough to live in the best apts here.

i live in THE hood.
    test
  16. wizworld

wizworld How can you be mad at me?

IF you plan on doing the artist thing heavy then you might not want to mess with Queens at all. Those late night/weekend commutes into lower Manhattan from Queens can get brutal.
    test
  17. BLAZE-WON

BLAZE-WON GOD BODY

yeah man. thats exactly what i did when i was there.
    we went out to st johns for a show from LES.
    dude...i don't get how it takes soooo fucking long for a short ass distance
    i honestly think they take you thru conneticut and then back thru queens.
    test
  18. Dutch Vega

Dutch Vega G-TEC CAPO! PRAAAAAAT!

In the Bx For Families:
    Riverdale
    Pelham Parkway
    Pelham Manor
    Pelham Bay Park

the truth is N.Y. is expensive as shit. especially if you crave tons of creature comforts... if your also not used to the way of life here its easy as hell to get swallowed up into the hatred and anger that out of towners feel once they re-locate here and realize that life here is not great if your not "down"(sorry to say, but its true).... alot of people talk about how angry new yorkers are, but i feel its all the transplants that come here and think they can make it, dont, then end up being the bitter ppl. that give our city a bad name, us new yorkers a just curt/short/no patience, ppl confuse that for anger but its really aggravation at the idiots in this city... like the spanish lady with 4-5 kids trying to compete with us single passengers on the train going up the steps (mira estupida, move out my fucking way with your train of children, AND NO I WILL NOT HELP you with your baby carriage, I DIDNT MAKE THOSE SNOT NOSED PUNKS!... sorry, its just the truth); its the person walking 1mph on the busy streets like he's just wandering aimlessly, of course the rest of us are gonna bump the shit out of you and look at you with a look like please say something so i can give you a piece of my mind/a punch, depending on wut you say cuz you've been bumped.... its just a quick paced city, with no time for bullshit... if you enjoy the southern life.... dont move here... go to dallas... its a nice city, i been there... lots of southerners get shitted on here from the way they approach women to their slang/speech... i've seen it, i dont agree with it, i LOVE The south, i lived in ATL, i cant stress how much i love the southern way of life, but i see more New Yorkers living successful happy lives in southern cities than i see Out of towners move here and enjoy it, they become bitter usually, unhappy with the way the city operates, the amount of money they "Blow" on rent/gas/newports, the list goes on&oN&on&on, if you pay 79 cents for a 2 liter of Coke in your town, we pay 1.19, you pay $5 for newports, we pay $9, you pay 1.50 for P.T., we pay 2.25, its just expensive, and if your not used to that, it will bother you... just my opinion...
    test
  19. BLAZE-WON

BLAZE-WON GOD BODY

Lol, i can feel that homie. I live in Dallas tho. Born and raised.
    I stay in a pretty urban area of Dallas so the city life ain't new.
    I know its still 10X what it is in dallas.
    test
  20. Dutch Vega

Dutch Vega G-TEC CAPO! PRAAAAAAT!

yeah, i dig, i mean i was just saying wut its like, as far as those that move here and are expecting something instead of making something happen for themselves... if you want it do it, but as far as raising a family here, honestly you'd probably be better off in any other state... you can still do it here, i see ppl raising families here everyday, shit, i was raised here so its fine, but i'm sure its easier in other places...
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.