atleast we don't have a santa or easter bunny in our faith ...

Discussion in 'The Sanctuary' started by Nu'maaN, Nov 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nu'maaN

Nu'maaN Anu'naki, Nuqqa.

... quoted by my younger cousin.

no, this is not taking shots at christians in general.

this thread is to question you about santa and the easter bunny.

how did they come about?

i know the history of santa, something about saint nicklaus, but the bunny?

:numaan:
    test
  2. Jay Bee

Jay Bee Boricua

it's a mystery to all. my guess is that the easter rabbit is a symbol of jesus somehow bcuz they breed a lot and the eggs being the new life??? im sure it started as something different and became this just like every other holiday.

i know that doesn't make a lot of sense but most holidays dont:
    christmas: we get gifts from a fat guy that breaks in our house but is really our parents.
    thanksgiving: we celebrate the day the native americans saved americans who would later slaughter them.
    halloween: we run around as scary shit and get treats from strangers.
    test
  3. reggie_jax

reggie_jax rapper noyd

i don't know enough to say where the actual mascots came from, though i've heard santa's image was largely invented by coca cola.

that said, i think that xmas and easter aren't necessarily part of the christian faith. there are christians who reject those holidays based on their pagan roots.
    test
  4. TheBigPayback

TheBigPayback God Particle

Neither has anything to do with the religion. Hallmark created the easter bunny.
    test
  5. Alias3000

Alias3000 Well-Known Member

the Bible has been misrepresented in many cultures...Pagans and Egyptian Sun worshippers top the list.

So to answer your question, Pagans have attempted to bastardize the good word by attaching vile shit to it like Santa Claus and Easter Bunny. It doesn't belong, period. It has no place or any proof it comes from the Bible. it's an adding thing, to which I piss on every single year.

And those who practice these things are heathens and need to re-new their minds.
    test
  6. M-theory

M-theory Saint Esprit

You're sure it wasn't the Christians who bastardized it to begin with in order to make Christianity a more appealing religion to the Pagans?
    test
  7. Nu'maaN

Nu'maaN Anu'naki, Nuqqa.

you say "we" like you're still a christian.

it changed because of the commercial value it brought in with it?

so why do you guys celebrate easter good friday with a bunny?

surely it must've come from somewhere/someone.

fair enough.

atleast with your religious festivals, no animals are harmed.

that's what i thought, the commercial aspect.

someone must have an answer.

test
  8. Jay Bee

Jay Bee Boricua

i say "we" bcuz i still celebrate christmas and easter. in modern times the religious start it had has nothing to do with how we celebrate these holidays in america

take halloween for example. 99% of people in america have no idea it started out with religious routes and people dressed as angels or whatever. now its all about ghost, goblines, characters, movie monsters, candy, and parties.

holidays are nothing but excuses to celebrate by letting lose in the us of a. yes it has changed due to the commerical value and when (or if) you find the reason for the easter traditions, you will shake ur head at how its turned to total bullshit
    test
  9. x calibur

x calibur

the easter bunny, santa, christmas trees, halloween, and even birthday parties come from pagan traditions.
    test
  10. reggie_jax

reggie_jax rapper noyd

pagans know how to party
    test
  11. Nu'maaN

Nu'maaN Anu'naki, Nuqqa.

that was my point of the question.

it's no longer a religious holiday, but the religious still celebrate it thinking it is.

i know a couple of macedonian christians who believe that the birth of jesus wasn't in christmas, but sometime in july, which is the more accurate choice.

lol, can't blame them.

the motherfuckers have no rules.

test
  12. reggie_jax

reggie_jax rapper noyd

i think memento hit the nail on the head; the adoption of pagan elements was part of christianity's rise to prominence. there's a certain amount of cultural conquest that seems to go hand in hand with any powerful religion. sometimes people inject religious meaning into events that previously were not part of the religion, and at other times people confuse elements of their cultural heritage as being part of their religion. this would be an example of both, imo.
    test
  13. Look im Gangsta

Look im Gangsta New Member

Who gives a fuck? We get shit.

Enjoy the training camp nigga whilst I shoot you all dead with my GI Joe.

Fuck.
    test
  14. TheBigPayback

We dont. We celebrate the ressurection.

The "bunny" is a way non-christians attempted to secularize the holiday into something they feel more comfortable celebrating. Bunnys dont lay eggs either. So where the eggs come from?
    test
  15. Jay Bee

Jay Bee Boricua

symbolic for fertility? maybe thats where the eggs come from
    test
  16. TheBigPayback

Thats possible. Still kinda weird tho lol
    test
  17. breathlesss

breathlesss Registered Sex Offender

easter, halloween, and christmas, are all essentially the changing of seasons, aside from spring to summer, because there's no need to celebrate the break of summer since summer is awesome all around...and it was far before pagans or even religious concepts ran ***** that the festivals began, most likely around the time we started becoming more agrarian and controlling the agriculture more

middle of the winter...eat lots of pastries and drink alcohol while giving gifts to one another (that started because people had time to make shit while holed up for the winter)

when winter is done, celebration of happiness and rebirth of nature (which is where the idea of a rabbit probly came from)

summer is awesome

when summer is done, harvest time, things in nature are dying, so it gets a sorta of dark and forboding overtone, but if you understand you life works, then, you celebrate death as well

then religion started taking over, and people attributed these seasonal changes to different gods shining fortune upon them or not (pagan style)...then monotheism took over and they had to falsely fulfill prophecies or alter the times of year when actual things did happen to make them align and overpower the festivities at hand
    test
  18. reggie_jax

reggie_jax rapper noyd

or maybe celebrating the resurrection is your way of christianizing easter into something that you are more comfortable celebrating.
    test
  19. TheBigPayback

Um no just.about all mainstream holidays besides maybe mothers day and fathers day holloween in this country began
    As as an event in celebration or rememberance, and began out of religion
    I mean its a "holiday" more correctly "holy day"

Being as tho not everyone is religious, some found a way to make it less about that
    test
  20. reggie_jax

reggie_jax rapper noyd

so you're saying that non religious people injected pagan symbolism into holidays after the fact as a way of making them less religious? like jay bee said the rabbit and the egg are both symbols for fertility, and easter is named after a pagan goddess of fertility, and is appropriately located in the spring. seasonal celebrations of this type predate christ, so i'd argue that christians are the ones who have tried to hijack the holiday and make it about jesus when that wasn't how it originated.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.