Atheists - Your PERSONAL Beef With Religion

Discussion in 'The Sanctuary' started by NightmareEx, Jan 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NightmareEx

NightmareEx The Beast

Question was just posed to me in another thread and I thought it was important enough to have it's own thread to be cleared up. I have addressed this on other sites and in person with people that actually know me, but people always want to know, what is it about religion and the idea of god that I seem to hate so much.

Well, I'll start with a question of my own. Do YOU value truth? Not "truth" how the holy books pervert the word, but do you value WHAT IS TRUE? I do. My answer COULD begin and end at I do not wish to support things which are false. Every religion that matters, that is, religions that claim they hold the absolute correct reflection of reality and the afterlife, have been shown to have more plot holes in their books than The Matrix. So just on the fact that these religions aren't TRUE, I oppose them. However in the context of the world we live in, I hate them for other reasons.

Despite there being no evidence to speak of to show ANY of these religions and empirically true, we have social rules, norms, even actual laws that cater to the "values" in these religions. With VERY few exceptions (notice, I did give credit to exceptions), religion has stunted humanity' growth every god damned step of the way. Opposing most all forms of science at every juncture because the more we know about the world around us the less we have to make up. Religions desires to keep you willfully ignorant of the actual state of reality so that you remain loyal to it. So now, not only is religion NOT true, but it SUPPRESSES ACTUAL TRUTH.

With that in mind, I have more than enough contempt for religion, but it goes a step further even. The archaic "morality" within these "holy" books is absolutely absurd. All the books manage to do morally is turn every believer into a hypocrite. Is everything in the holy bible bad? No. There are tenants of the faith that are respectable. But you CAN'T follow everything in the bible and even hope to be a good person. That's because your example for most of the book is the biblical god. I mean yea his son shows up for act two briefly, but daddy gets most of the screen time.

And let's face it, "daddy" is a psychopathic, ego maniacal, petty, trivial, evil son of a bitch. If you acted like the god of the bible you'd act like..well..a fucking asshole. So the over arching theme from this bitch ass deity is "Do as I say, not as I do". So as a result people cherry pick religion for what they want to get out of it. They use it to discriminate, divide and oppress.

There's more but this is the abridged overview. So the question I pose, is to the other atheists. What do you have against religion?
    • Hot Thread Hot Thread x 1
    • -Rep -Rep x 1
    test
  2. patrown

patrown student for life

I agree with you there.

I consider myself agnostic, until a few years ago I was an Athiest. My biggest problem with religion is how it's used to manipulate populations. ex: Constantine

You made some good points.
    test
  3. GaLaTeA

GaLaTeA Well-Known Member

My beef; I'll try to be as civil and as short as I possibly can muster...

Will people ever understand, that in the modern world of science and technology, Bible, Koran, Torah, and so on are more or less the same "thing" which belongs into a museum and nowhere else?

That it's time to finally face the fact that no such thing as "god" exists. Let alone a "god" who's infinitely just, infinitely merciful and at the same time loving, and again appallingly vindictive and jealous, which has to be both feared and loved by it's followers.

"It" keeps needing to be praised and worshiped, of how big it is, omnipotent, that society of followers needs to crawl in the dust, but also to kill in his honor all those, who celebrate other "gods". And behind every "god", therefore is an endless bloody trail. Precisely religions are really only propelled by an endless wheel of evil on this planet, masked in the marionette of morally acceptable.

Will young people ever know at least, that is exclusively their personal right to believe in something or someone ~ or maybe not! Will someone finally introduce required reading by Dawkins in high schools?

Will the kids ever learn that the world existed long before the Christianization of high culture? And that European culture is far from being grown from a Judeo-Christian roots? That the Christian celebration bonfire, Easter, Christmas and countless others have been stolen from the pagan culture, which in reallity everyone should know and be able to appreciate.

The dull and ignorant people really won't even wake up and at least doubt that "the only and real truth" has been sold to them by luxurious and golden kitsch brainwashing traders, who are selling them fog and calling it religion? And when will this clergy fascism end?

/end rant.
    test
  4. NightmareEx

NightmareEx The Beast

Oh it's definitely used to control people that is for sure.

And for the conspiracy guys in here, be assured that religion is a cog in the Illuminati wheel as well. Keep the people docile, and focused on superstition, and you can pull their world right from under them.
    • -Rep -Rep x 1
    test
  5. GaLaTeA

Sadly fear is still a bankable emotion which can be played and toyed with, flip people into believing in anything these days.

...edit...just realised this wasn't ment for me...

I apologise...

:scared:
    test
  6. Coup d'état

Coup d'état Don't believe the hype

Down is up, up is down.
    test
  7. Alias3000

Alias3000 Well-Known Member

Why would an Atheist start a topic questioning Atheists?
    test
  8. NightmareEx

NightmareEx The Beast

Well you had something relevant to add to it, so no apologies necessary.
    • -Rep -Rep x 1
    test
  9. reggie jax

reggie jax Well-Known Member

my personal beef with religion is simply that it has influenced the society that i live in to such a high degree that i am surrounded by people with whom i don't share the most basic of values.

i generally agree with galatea that religion is a relic of the past and ultimately one that should ideally be shed in favor of scientific and academic discipline. i think that science is really man's key to the universe, and religion is unable to exist side by side with something that questions its ultimate authority. but that's my personal thought. i wouldn't force that on anybody, and i don't resent others who want to hold on to their faith. i view the societal shedding of faith as a process that will either happen voluntarily or it's not worth pursuing.

but the conflict of values runs much deeper than these lofty discussions about where humanity's ultimate fate lies, it manifests itself for me constantly in daily life in a religious society.

a few minor examples of what i mean:

my brother is 12 years old and is fairly intelligent. my mother is 51 and highly religious. she's not religious in the sense that you'd usually expect, her knowledge of the bible is rather slim. she's more steeped in tradition than anything else, and at this point completely unwilling to change. she has the natural inclination to pass these traditions on to her offspring. my brother naturally has questions about the bible. he asked me: who wrote the bible? i told him it was a compilation of many texts from several authors. then he got to the point and asks me the real question: is it all true? what can i say to this? my mother has her own ideas about raising him as a christian, yet i don't want to flat out lie to the kid. i tell him 'i dunno.' that's the only answer i could think to give.

another instance would be when me and a friend were discussing doing something dangerous, i can't remember exactly what it was, but my attitude was essentially: fuck it, you only live once. to this my friend responded 'what about the life after this one?' to which i responded with a shrug and a blank stare.

these examples surely don't sound like much on their own, but they are part of a larger overall trend which defines life in a society steeped in values which you do not share.

things like this are what mainly make me feel detached and despondent towards my peers, the common ground that we do share is riddled with sacred cows that warp one's entire life outlook. and that is my main beef with religion.
    test
  10. MissAndrya

MissAndrya Evolution is what is.

Too bad you weren't on the right end of that.
    test
  11. MissAndrya

MissAndrya Evolution is what is.

Where to start.......

Gal made some good points, similar to my own, so apologies if there is any repetition.

Growing up, my parents rented a house from a minister. Because of this, they felt obligated to have us attend Sunday services (which, conveniently, was right across the street). They themselves only attended a few weeks, then forced myself and my sisters to go alone. That was a joke. Who preaches God to their children but doesn't attend church???

We grew up praying, and believing, but without proper education about who or what God was. This was a blind following, in my opinion...as it was just assumed because my parents said so.

I have a huge problem with children being raised and baptized into a religion, I don't care which one it is. It robs them of the right to think for themselves or make their own choices without any influence. If that isn't bad enough, religion taught in school does the same damage. Also, every person that becomes aware of your disbelief feels a need to 'save' you, or assumes you have recently suffered a loss or endured a major crisis to turn you away from God. I find this so hugely offensive.

Suddenly, in this day and age (one of great technological discoveries and advance, and freedom of will and mind), we are looked down upon for questioning what doesn't make sense and wanting to explore our own thoughts and opinions of such regarding God and religion. It seems the more we do this, the more desperate religions are to try to sway us. Why?? What do they fear?? Surely it's not for our good, but for their own.
    test
  12. lyricalpriest

lyricalpriest Rap Games Dawson Creek

Religious people killin in the name of religion hmm..

http://board.rapmusic.com/sanctuary/1310013-its-pretty-obvious-aetheists-have-killed-far-more.html

no one wanted to debate me on that with factual evidence or empirical stats...

as for religion being a wheel of the illuminati, your right, and "religion" does keep man docile, I believe in Jesus, attend church occasionally and read the book, but i dont just stop there.. I find fruitful philosophy all over, but i always use the bible for a reference.

as for other point's brought up it's hard to remember all but one was "technology"

science reveals to us truth's about our universe everyday, and everything revealed coincides with what the bible koran torah teaches about evolution, the first phases of old earth etc..

secondly people think that the bible is a tool to suppress and stop man from enjoying him self? no this is wrong the bible has divine knowledge of the psychology of man(mankind) and it understands the intricacies of the mind and how it works.. everything about "mind cultivation" "moral rearing" in the bible teaches man how to be strong willed in spirit and in faith.

yes their was war's in the name of "religion" not god.. and yes there is some bad sides of religion that have been perverted by the devil it was prophesied that this would happen.

when you attack the bible or any religion you have to remember what your fighting..

your fighting something that stands up for YOU and me indiscriminately. time and time again. when religion has separated culture and class Jesus came to get rid of that mentality why don't you see that?

just b/c one believes in jesus and the teachings of the bible doesn't deem them irrational
    in the least, it takes courage and faith to believe in the bible.. those are positive characteristics.

you can't say god isn't real, b/c as a believer i've talked to god, felt his presence (his/her/it) seen supernatural miracles happen in my life and others. to me god is as real as the emotion's happy/sadness... both are emotions i can never see or hold or by or sell but they are more real then money more real then food at times in ones life.
    test
  13. NightmareEx

NightmareEx The Beast

• -Rep -Rep x 1
    test
  14. GaLaTeA

test
  15. lyricalpriest

not with statistics or numbers. i backed up everything i said with numbers and statistics all they said was "thats a lie thats not true religion is evil blah etc"

saddly is i read everything you wrote..

you don't want to read what i wrote b/c your flesh hates what i speak of b/c the devil is in control of the flesh
    test
  16. NightmareEx

NightmareEx The Beast

Hahahaha. Seriously, I hate your stupidity because of Satan? If Lucifer is the facilitator of intelligence, then consider me a devil worshipper from hence forth.
    • -Rep -Rep x 1
    test
  17. lyricalpriest

it was pretty obvious to begin with.. didn't want to offend you tho so i kept my mouth shut

b/c i know you'd have taken offense, bc i know u know that GOD>SATAN
    test
  18. GaLaTeA

You mentioned Hitler. Hitler himself didn't kill a person, he had German, Austrian soldiers + collaborators do his dirty work for him. He was a CHRISTIAN. Read his book Mein Kampf, where he affirmed his religious beliefs.

You said you've de facto used all stats and numbers, really? I must have been blind, since all you've done is going..."welp, atheists killed moar folk, shucks, good golly they did."

On the other hand, LP, you speak fluently in theft of intellectual property, defamation of character, homophobia and threatening with physicall assaults.
    test
  19. lyricalpriest

HITLER WAS NOT A CHRISTIAN HE USED THAT TO DECIEVE A GROUP OF PEOPLE.. COMMUNISM IS AN ATHEIST GOVERNMENTAL POLICY.. I'LL BRING THE STATS TO THIS THREAD THAT I'VE USED AND YOU CAN TRY TO DEBATE THEM BACK IN THE SAME FASHION..

and what i speak of fluently online doesn't reflect rather or not jesus is real or my love for him, it merely reflects on my animalistic behavior
    test
  20. GaLaTeA

Hitler wasn't a communist, you potted plant of a euthanized corpse dipped in density.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.