Art Thread. Post your work here...

Discussion in 'Lipstick Gallery' started by MissAndrya, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

Im not talking about reaching the very top and being the most creative visionary artist ever to exist. Im talking drawing. How to draw what you see, how to draw in perspective... it all can be learned.

with practice someone who draws stick figures can learn to lifedraw(drawing exactly what they see)

and of course not everyone is going to have the drive to want to learn and thats where i think the limit is. I think the limit is peoples attitudes towards it...Some people arent interested in it. So theyd never put forth the effort to get better at it.

Im positive if i wanted to i could learn any instrument. Im not saying i could be the best in the whole world, but i could surely learn how to play that instrument. I have no drive to do it though so it cant happen for me unless i changed my attitude towards it. If i wanted to learn it, i could.
    test
  2. Pyronoa Zoro

Pyronoa Zoro Demon Cutter

No one was talking about becoming the goat of art. didn't even allude to it. try not to miss my point entirely and go off tangent, makes it tedious to reply to.

interest and drive is not the limit for everyone, it's only the limit for those with an aptitude for art.

you can't be positive about that unless you've actually accomplished it. It's only your subjective opinion and holds no merit in this discussion. I'm positive I can climb mt. everest, but unless i've actually done it, just saying i could doesn't mean shit.

innate talent very much exists. it's not a matter of opinion. is there nothing you can do with ease that isn't the case for everyone?

I wasn't dedicated, nor determined and i was not raised in an environment that catered to art. I was just simply able to draw, since before i entered school. didn't think anything of it until kinder when i saw everyone else's crude drawings and having the teacher praising me for something i just thought as normal.

it's an innate talent/ability without question. I can paint, draw, carve, create anything i see in whatever medium. my art teachers in high school didn't teach me anything. they literally left me and 2 others do whatever we wanted. we'd sit in the supply room playing music and just created whatever the fuck we wanted while they tried to teach the others how to draw. I regret letting them keep everything I ever made. I don't have the passion for it, otherwise i'd be doing something in that field and undoubtedly be famous or infamous, at least among my peers.
    I've never been taught. i just know how to use a pencil, paint brush, chalk, charcoal sticks, carving chisels, scalpel, etc. naturally.

I, however, can't dance for shit. I had an ex who was a natural. she was a dancer and obviously had the talent and passion for it. she tried teaching me, I wanted to learn...i couldn't do it. and we practiced a lot. far more than i care to admit. all i could do was memorize the routines to several dances, but couldn't execute them well. "listen to the music"...i understood that certain steps/moves took place during certain patterns in the songs/style of music, but i couldn't make sense of it and can't understand it at all. i can fake it just enough that someone who doesn't know the dance can be fooled, but that's not really learning is it? absolutely not. same with writing, art and anything that requires any kind of talent.

You/everyone may be able to learn how to draw a table or a dog, but can you/everyone learn to draw a lifelike portrait that could be confused for a b&w photograph or paint an ocean sunset that stirs the soul?

I truly don't think so.
    test
  3. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

this is kind of what i meant by be an epic artist and creative visionary.... if anyone can draw with pencil and have it be confused with a b&W photo, theyd be in the elite upper echelon of artists who ever lived... Thats an amazing skill. To paint a stirring sunset? all one needs is a picture of one to look at as reference... anyways Its not that important to me if i convince you. I still think drawing is a learned skill.

basically were disagreeing, but only cuz of definition of what each of us considers "knowing how to draw"
    test
  4. BangBang1

BangBang1 Bang Bang Hoody Gang

tbh

you can learn pretty much anything

I know a dude who couldn't draw for shit.. like really bad. but it didnt stop him from coppin a tattoo gun

I even used to make his drawing on people by either doing it free hand with a pen or on tracing paper

then he got locked up for like 5 years or so

when he came out the dude shading game was way better than mine's
    and he drew way better than he did before (i still don't think his better than me)

[​IMG]
    ^thats one of his drawings

and dude was hot garbage before.

I think natural talent helps you in drawing faster and maybe being a bit more creative imo

what i mean in being creative I mean in devolving your own style

I use me and my boy as an example

I like to think that when i draw I have my own style, like u know I drew it

when he does it, he usually need a reference from something

but anways what I am saying is, if you hard work for something u can pretty much learn anything out there

the key for drawing if I may give you an advise is

always pay attention to the details. take your time and have fun with it

this also applies to painting and all types of shit

I don't really do graffiti but I tried it

here one I did for my girl for her birthday which I then had it printed on a shirt
    [​IMG]

not the best shit out there but she liked it
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
    test
  5. Pyronoa Zoro

If I'm judging your abilities based solely on those two pictures, i'd say he was far and away a better artist than you.

he obviously has artistic talent that he apparently developed over the years, but the skill was obviously already there. have you an example of his 'hot garbage'? even a poor drawing can show potential. like miss breazy/andrea's portraits. they aren't quite there, but you can tell there's potential for well done lifelike portraits if she continues to develop there.

No, they wouldn't. far too many artists can draw lifelike objects/portraits. I can. so can you. If you're not proficient with a pencil, you can at least learn since you already have that artistic talent...that goes for anyone else who has it.

what's the point of 'learning' to draw if being able to draw well(life-like drawings) isn't your end game? your bar is set far too low. you don't seem to understand what it means to "know how to draw", period.

just because i can play a few notes of fur elise doesn't mean i know how to play the piano. but by your definition, it does. that's the difference in our definitions.
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
    test
  6. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

if you can read music and play it on the piano. Isnt that is knowing how to play the piano.

regardless i dont know the science or psychology or whatever behind the shit.

youll never be able to convince me that drawing isnt a learned skill that everyone can do.

maybe your bar is set to high? i dont know. But i think i could teach someone who can only draw stickmen to eventually be able to draw lifelike. Thats enough to constitute knowing how to draw for most people
    test
  7. Pyronoa Zoro

yes, but i can't read music. i can just memorize how to play the first set of notes. that's not knowing how to play, but by your feeble definition, it is.

that's the equivalent. that's why what you're saying sounds so preposterous to me.

I'm not trying to convince you. If anything, I was hoping I could be convinced. I already know it's not a skill everyone can learn.

you just said drawing lifelike was upper echelon, but now you're saying you can teach it to anyone? you're contradicting as fuck. life-like drawings are those that can appear to be as realistic as a b&w photograph. what do you think it means? your definition/understanding of things seems to be extremely skewed.
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
    test
  8. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

ok so im contradicting ah well i made a mistake. Sorry about that.

i still think its a learned skill anyone can learn. And i think im right.
    test
  9. Superman70

Superman70 edited

i dont expect to get to lifelike level, but i dont think you need to be there say that you can draw
    test
  10. Pyronoa Zoro

then at what level do you think you need to be to (incorrectly) say you can draw?

and what is the point of wanting to learn, if mediocre is the level you're aiming for?

you're wrong. end of.
    test
  11. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

still think im right.
    lets agree to disagree
    test
  12. Superman70

Superman70 edited

it's all about what i'm satisfied with. I wont know exactly what until I get there. If it's good enough for people to know wtf it is then that'll be something.

The point is for enjoyment and to have a new hobby. I'm not aiming for mediocrity, but I won't consider it a failure if I don't reach the top. That would be an unrealistic expectation for me. Don't you have things you enjoy that you're not the best at?

I know I'm not going to be a professional guitarist either, but I'm still going to learn. Eventually I'll be able to say that I can play guitar. You don't have to be the best at something to say that you know how to do it, right?
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  13. Pyronoa Zoro

I think you're misunderstanding me.

You don't have to be the best to say you know you can play/draw. but there is a reason those who understand their level, say they know how to draw/play 'a bit/ a little'. It's usually not until one learns how to do something exceptionally well, AND as second nature, that they can rightfully/confidently say they 'know how to play/draw'. it doesn't necessarily mean they have to be the best, at the top, or a pro to say so.

the things i'm not the best at are what i find the most enjoying, because i prefer the challenge. seeing my improvement and overcoming my preconceived limits is awesome. it's when i've mastered/conquered something that i lose interest and move on to something else.

my point is, i wouldn't feel right or comfortable saying i know how to do something, if i'm not great or even good at it.
    test
  14. Superman70

Superman70 edited

i think i understood you. i just don't see the need for the qualifier, "a bit."
    I dont think most people would go around bragging about mediocre skills, and it should already be understood that some people are better at things than others.
    test
  15. Geedorah

Geedorah King

[​IMG]

I know you like spiders.
    test
  16. MissBreezy

MissBreezy The God Pestilence

test
  17. Geedorah

Geedorah King

To overcome your fear you need to put spider on your arm, but dont hurt him/her.
    • -Rep -Rep x 1
    test
  18. Pyronoa Zoro

No, you're definitely not fully understanding me, or i'm not explaining myself well enough to be understood. either case, good luck. i want to see the progress, because i've never seen someone without the talent and skill to draw, fully learn how to.

knowing what I do, experiencing what i have...that's just not something that registers as a remote possibility.
    test
  19. MissBreezy

MissBreezy The God Pestilence

No.
    test
  20. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

sleep with spiders, big ones. Put one under your covers a couple hours before bed. Forget about it. Go to bed. Feel the funny little bugger touching your thighs. Dont fear. Just enjoy the friendly tickles. Stay perfectly still so it doesnt sink its fangs into your leg. If it does its probably still ok, there arent many seriously dangerous spiders in canada. Not like australia. Most spiders will get you there. Theyll get you good.
    test