Are You In A Closet?

Discussion in 'Writer's Block' started by Madnick, Mar 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Madnick

Madnick Modern Laureate

It's simple, I dont mean like a closet gay or anything of that nature. I mean are you a poet who hasnt really come out of the closet with your work. Does anyone know that your a poet.
    test
  2. ~Eloquent

~Eloquent Narcissistic....

people really dont know unless they know me really well...
    and most of them see me as a lyricist
    its kind of frusterating though cuz people look at you and assume things about you
    when really thiers alot more to you beneath the surface..
    i think people think im to rigid and standoffish cuz i really dont talk at all unless i know someone well..
    test
  3. Catch TWENTY 2

Catch TWENTY 2 Poet Extrodinaire

No one knows that I'm a poet. Except maybe my ex and this current youngin I'm diggin on. The less that know is the better for me. Most cats around here don't even know I write. I've only posted a poem here maybe once or twice. I'm in the closet
    test
  4. RealMS

RealMS Ne te quaesiveris extra

this semester I'm taking english III and so some ppl. in there that I don't normally talk to everyday didn't really know I was an actual writer on a daily basis, not just when it came down to doing assignments. Some girls wanted to pay me to write their stuff, but they eventually found somebody elsewhere.

Every time my mama sees me writing something down she thinks it's homework: "You still doin homework girl?" The rest of my family knows-but I don't think its a big deal like most of them take it. Like if I send someone a poem in the mail-its like "OH THIS IS SO AMAZING!"

My summer creative writing instructor, english teachers all the way from jr. high and now, close friends know, some of them write, but the only response I get from them is damn that's deep, or something like that. My boyfriend is a lyricist, so he writes as well, and does tracks.

Above all, I don't think I'm in a closet because any chance I get I'll expose my poetry. So many good things can come out of it, or perhaps bad too, even--but I have nothing to lose with that. Can't satisfy everyone...and that's not what it should be about.

I don't know lol, I may be in the closet and just not realizing my lights are off. You know how you may be the only known person at a certain thing-like your town got the only basketball player to go to college, but who actually goes off to play professional?
    test
  5. I wouldn't say i'm in the closet, but I don't really advertise the fact that I write either. My close family and friends know, Like I send them poems sometimes, especially my Nan, and sometimes a teacher who encouraged me. She likes to be updated. But apart from that I keep it to myself, unless I start talking to someone with a passion or similar interest to me when I go out.
    test
  6. MC_Paste

MC_Paste

poetry is special to me.. it seperates me from ppl around me... I am a closet poet ... I woudl never publish my poetry... I truly write poetry for myself.. I post it here because I want to be a better poet .. I want another poets perspective on my shit
    test
  7. ~Eloquent

~Eloquent Narcissistic....

the thing is you just cant send anything out just like that and expect to get noticed
    people that have way more of an opportunity to get thier foot in the door can be a lot less talented then people who really dont have an avenue of support in thier hometown to actually begin to really be heard
    if i showed my mom my stuff she would probaly tell me to send it in
    but some people in certain places just cant understand different peoples point of view
    thats what im afraid of,
    they wont understand where im coming from
    and probaly some of my boys would think some of my poems are corny
    like my love poems,
    sometimes ill be on the website writing and theyll creep up behind me and start mocking me,

but in a way i like being sacred,cuz its kind of funny to me when people make assumptions about someone,
    than they realize the truth and have to shove their foot in thier mouth

aww man do i wish i could bring it out on people like that sometimes
    like today at work
    this bitch wants to try to get a reaction out of me to try to make me look like the bad guy,
    but i wont fall for that
    how i would love to make some of those people regret all the nasty things they say about me,
    but you know people especially in a work place
    they have a higher posistion than you so theyll be respected more about what they say than you will

honestly not to be mean but i dont think to many people from my hometown would see where im coming from...
    always felt like that
    test
  8. UFO the Phoenix

UFO the Phoenix I DONT BELIEVE IN ALIENS!

in the closet poet?

never thought of myself as one...I think that fits me though....maybe thats not good because I feel I have a higher calling and I'm not using my gifts to glorify God like I should be doing...I write alot just because....I have so many ideas and topics I have to express it someway....I'm taking a creative writing class and now I'm reading some of my poems out loud and sharing them more...cats is buggin and telling me this and that how I should get published or attend a spoken word slam but despite what people think I still feel my work isnt all that great so I keep alot of my stuff to myself...(even what some might consider classics I'll keep in my notebook as some secret art that only a selected few will every truly enjoy)
    test
  9. Madnick

Madnick Modern Laureate

almost my whole school knows about it. I was recently published in the upcoming american poets society book.
    test
  10. RealMS

RealMS Ne te quaesiveris extra

^I've done that, and I think I made a big mistake lol. I mean one time I put one of my earliest poems in poetry.com and all of a sudden I get tons of letters from various poetry places, so I figured it couldn't hurt to show my poetry to them-but now I'm getting tired of it. I just throw them all away and tell them no thanks. It's not very much of an honor to me lol, but it's cool.

I personally think that some of the best poetry comes out of its shell when that poet has passed. It's not like it hasn't happened before--look at some of the well known poets.
    test
  11. Madnick

Madnick Modern Laureate

yeah its not that great but its cool.
    test
  12. Poetickz

Poetickz The Humble One

im known more for the tracks that i write...dished out my demo through school, had it broadcasted over school radio, so people knew that i was doin that, in middle school i was real big in poetry, wrtoe every chance i could, highschool i fell out and didnt do it for a while, jus recentlye though, ive been goin back to my roots, i got this project im workin on for a cd. no one knows me here at uk at all though, so im a poet in the closet as well.
    one
    test
  13. Philly_215

Philly_215 The Silent Poet

i would say i am a poet in the closet.

with the lights on,
    just to scared to move along,
    one step could lead to greatness
    another could cripple my dreams before they become strong
    expose them on-line,
    thru your computer screens they shine
    maybe just maybe i'll step out,
    of my closet confines
    test
  14. Pent uP

Pent uP I'd Like to Fight Ten Men

i fit the category, aint a motherfucker kno...cept maybe liek 5 people.....but no one knows
    test
  15. Czarina WiseDome

Czarina WiseDome Dikin' since 83...

Looking at me people dont know that I'm a poet.. the only time people really know that I'm a poet is when I perform.. maybe I need a shirt made that says "will write poetry for food"!
    test
  16. MISSKEYdaQUEEN

MISSKEYdaQUEEN Watch the black panther..

I'm about to get a nice long sleeve shirt that says..

"I'm a F**KING POET"

Yessir!! That's the business!
    test
  17. AlmostFamous

AlmostFamous U got a problem?

thats some cool sh..

you know what you should hook me up with one if you can

Ill give you the money for it !!
    test
  18. AlmostFamous

AlmostFamous U got a problem?

we all know that i am not in the closet about writing poetry

peep the sig

will write poetry for food.... suggests that I dont only write often but that Ill do it for food as well!@!

haha
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.