are under-rated rappers and unfortunate rappers the same thing? ...

Discussion in 'Hip-Hop Central' started by Nu'maaN, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Nu'maaN

Nu'maaN Anu'naki, Nuqqa.

... seems like it to me.

for my list, it'd be like this:

masta ace.
    under-rated as fuck, one of the best to ever do it, but just unfortunate that he doesn't get as much fame.

crooked i.
    fucking brilliant rapper, unfortunately fucked up with dre with his ghostwriting, left him with little to no fame.

royce.
    same thing happened with royce, fucked up ghostwriting for dre, leaked the track, unfortunate.

killah priest.
    got too political, unfortunate that he couldn't get signed and kicked off major labels.

elzhi.
    his label partners fucked him over hard.​

what do you think? same thing or nah?

:numaan:
    test
  2. Nu'maaN

Nu'maaN Anu'naki, Nuqqa.

for my fellow masta ace fans.

still killing it.

• +Rep +Rep x 2
    test
  3. NinjaMic

NinjaMic Brian Disease

unfortunate is usually a really storied history of getting fucked around and shit on... Canibus, Tonedeff etc

it's underrated to me, but sometimes it's just character

shit, you could say the most unfortunate are dead legends
    • +Rep +Rep x 2
    test
  4. Im Technical

Im Technical I got 30 pages of rhymes

Masta ace is always nice and snowgoons normally deliver. Dope track.

I didnt get why people like Jurassic 5, dilated peoples etc never got bigger than they did. They make proper hip hop with a sound/lyrics that imo appeal to a wider audience. With all the rappers you listed i dont think they have the voices to blow, the commercial market is always looking for a certain type of delivery/voice(easy to digest) and alot of underground rappers dont fit that. In this day and age no one is going to push a rapper like killah priest because they can make more money far more easily off a drake or french montana etc. Unfortunately the music business is fully corrupted by money and is nothing to do with talent or producing good music its just about making quick money off of people who will listen to whatever is in the charts.

Only a couple of labels care about the quality of music and most of those are smaller like duckdown and cant get an artist mainstream exposure. Nothing will change in the mainstream until the average fan wants quality rather than just anything with a simple melody.
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  5. Tha Cunnysmythe

Tha Cunnysmythe Unsavoury Negroid

how has tone got fucked? haven't followed him much since archetype
    test
  6. Louis Armstrong

Louis Armstrong Yeah, it's me nigga

Most of the people you've mentionned have either boring personalities or no distinctive look that would make them marketable.

Underrated usually means unpopular, not unfortunate.
    test
  7. Nu'maaN

Nu'maaN Anu'naki, Nuqqa.

fair call.

test
  8. NinjaMic

NinjaMic Brian Disease

well, before and after archetype, either way you go

started off with the Arsenio Hall performance that landed him a deal in '93 that fell through and turned out to be shady bullshit

after his group EP with RMB Crew in '95, he put out the Monotone EP online in 1997 and predated major artists like Prince releasing albums online and calling it the future (even though Prince sues everyone who downloads and distributes his music nowadays)... and wayyyyyyy before Gnarls Barkley got credit for sparking the "internet music presence = success" revolution... no acknowledgement, no reward

was signed to the same label as Masta Ace for awhile, got up in that Game Over stuff, but just never got to drop anything before the label fell apart and everyone got screwed:

even started "pause" -

• +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  9. NinjaMic

NinjaMic Brian Disease

This song Shag! that flipped the Austin Powers sample 2 years before Ludacris rocked it, was supposed to be on the Austin Powers 3 soundtrack, but got bumped off at the last minute for a Britney Spears track:

Archetype was ahead of it's time, pretty much, in establishing that hybridized but real songwriting/lyricist everyman thing before Kanye got big with it by doing it half as real and half as skilled., before CeeLo metDangermouse, and before Andre became rap-game Hendrix to people... but all his fans wanted an album of battle rap like 2000 BC, and to other people it mostly didn't exist.

In general he's just skilled as fuck, diverse, ranged, adept at everything, and arguably the "best"... but it does nothing for him. Tech N9ne found out about him only a year ago and tweeted how he was fucking insane... unlike Yelawolf, he missed out on being on Worldwide Choppers by a matter of months, because of undeserved obscurity. Fingers crossed for Universal Choppers:

The day his Demon EP/Polymer Pt. 2 dropped, Beyonce dropped her surprise video album on iTunes... not that he would have a chance at the same worldwide audience with or without that happening, but it was that luck of the irish kind of coincedence, that falls in line with how everything's always gone. He made a funny instagram vine series to make light of it called instagator:

He often gets labeled as just a fast rapper when he's got so much more stuff and styles... producer, songwriter, can play instruments etc... like he's said in songs "they never follow the plot, they'd rather just hear me rock off'a the top"... like I was saying though, sometimes struggle and being an outlier can just make an artist more relateable and have more character to me:

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
    • +Rep +Rep x 2
    test
  10. Tha Cunnysmythe

Tha Cunnysmythe Unsavoury Negroid

jesus...

only heard of him when happy fuck you songs dropped

amazing he never just said fuck it and walked away, that kind of career could make anyone bitter

always felt he had the charisma and diversity to do big things

also had no idea monotone was from '97

so far ahead of its time
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  11. DemiGod

DemiGod Peef Rimgar

test
  12. NinjaMic

NinjaMic Brian Disease

yeah bro, join, it's alright there so far