Are Pre-amps that important?????

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by thepreacha, Jul 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thepreacha

thepreacha New Member

Sup ya'll!!
    For some reason ( its probably the pre-amp I have, you tell me!!) I'm not getting the quality sound that I desire. The equipment I have is....

Audio Techinca AT3035
    M-Audio Delta 44 -w- breakout box
    Behringer Ultragain 2200
    Behringer Tube Compressor
    Mixer
    and some other stuff, but those are my main components for recording vocals. With that mic and sound card I should get a pretty darn good sound but I think its my mic Pre????????

I heard that it wasn't great but being"how stupid I am!!" I got it anyways. If I was to get a better mic pre.....like a focusrite or something ....I guess that would make a huge difference?

Do you guys think that its the pre-amp thats holding me back from getting the quality that I should?

I appreciate all the knowledge that ya'll be droppin

The Preacha
    test
  2. jaymz_101

jaymz_101 New Member

do you know how to work your equipment???... that could be the problem also...
    test
  3. thepreacha

thepreacha New Member

Yeah that could be it. Actually I'm new on the recording end of things. I've been recording in studios since 98, but its the first time I'm recording at home seriously. I'd appreciate any tips for recording and production.

What procedures do you all go through in preparation for recording a song and during a song?

Anything info you drop would be much appreciated!!

The Preacha
    test
  4. jaymz_101

jaymz_101 New Member

i use a £15 mic and a old guitar amp i had sitting about as a preamp... into a sb live

doesnt need noise reduction as the signal is clear.... compress with waves L1 ultramamimizer+ (settings vary), use a graphic eq... (setting vary) and thats it... do the same on adlibs... then pan them etc.. and add i tiny bit of reverb to the adlibs only

i dont use normalisation i use wave hammer in soundforge6...
    test
  5. thepreacha

thepreacha New Member

Yo good call, I have L1 Ultramaximizer + (what settings do you use?).

Can you define Adlibs?
    test
  6. jaymz_101

jaymz_101 New Member

adlib... when you record in a track seperate from the main vocals to help bring out certain words... like say this is a line in my track

'im so ill i got mad skill' lol

id probably do adlibs on 'ill' and 'mad skill' so in a seperate track you'd record again and only spit 'ill' and 'mad skill' or whatever words you wanna bring out

or adlibs can also be the 'woo' 'oh' 'uh' w/e in the background...

adlibs are usually -6db lower than the main vocal track...
    test
  7. thepreacha

thepreacha New Member

Yeab bro, gotta ya!! I usually call them back up vocals or dubbs. Adlibs are awesome!! I don't understand how some people just record there vocals with now adlibs or back ups, it sounds so plain.

So, what software do you use to record? Do you have anything recorded that I can listen too?

I appreciate all the knowledhe you've dropped for me, thanks!

The Preacha
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.