Arcane, I think you could help me with this? (Distortion)

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by Mr. Verbalist, Nov 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Verbalist

Mr. Verbalist How am I doin?

Well, the last two songs I have made are shit. In both songs, somehow a few words manage to distort, even though there not clipping on the software meters!! It's only a few words and they mostly distort on the drum kick. Then I thought it was the producer that just had shitty kicks, so then I even recorded some freestyles on good quality rockit beats, and they still distort on a few words. Then I compress the fuck outta them until they sound like shit and they STILL distort. Of course the obvious statement would be "Why don't you EQ them numb nuts?" I tried that, still distorting. (Well of course I did about a 10db raise around the 80hz area and that got rid of it, but come on how do you think the vocals sounded?) Everything on my patchmix is set at default 0.0 and btw I'm recording 16-bit, 44100 sample-rate, If that matters at all.

Any tips, this is pissing me the fuck off...!!!
    test
  2. cocoapebble

cocoapebble New Member

asfd

heres an idea... turn your input a lil lower,, turn the out put a lil higher AND BACK THE FUCK AWAY FROM YOUR MIC
    test
  3. Mr. Verbalist

That was the worst advice ever given on rapmusic.com :-/
    test
  4. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

stop recording so hot...

you can ALWAYS boost volume levels later if you need them higher, whenever i track someone i always set the level to tape at around 50% knowing that they're going to hit it a lot harder when they're actually performing

plus i can always up the gain while mixing if need be
    test
  5. Syntax_Mastery

Syntax_Mastery Emcee/Producer/Engineer

well... it is a eq issue. Just not something that's in the box...

try recording the same verse, but back off the mic a tad... because you could be experiencing the down side of proximity effect.

If thats the case, you need to back off your mic some when you record. Also adjust your gain... and check for problems in your acoustics in your booth...

if are recording and getting distortion before it hits the disk, there is no real clean method of removing it, without sacrificing the audio quality of your vocal wave.

your going to have to find a way to eliminate it, or avoid it BEFORE you hit the disk with your vocals... either with a compressor, or just doing what i stated above

i recently recorded a verse "too hot"... certain words distort slightly because of the proximity effect reacting with the bass in my voice... and my mic being turned up to high...

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=12680&songID=3087764

check that... you can hear how it is in certain parts... it just ruins the quality. Good thing this wasnt a important track.
    test
  6. Mr. Verbalist

Well acapella they sound great. I backed up and it's still distorting.

Listen to "Orion feat. Jay R. - Distant Love" on http://www.soundclick.com/verbalist

1:13 the word "college" distorts. It may seem little, but it ruins the whole song! There's other words in there too, but that's just one to pin-point.

Syntax your vocals were distorting on the beat itself not just on the kicks .. lol but I see what you mean ..

Thanks btw @ Syntax for the help.
    test
  7. cocoapebble

cocoapebble New Member

LMAO... syntax said exactly what i said lmao
    test
  8. Mr. Verbalist

I actually think it's in the hi frequencies, like it distorts on sounds like "eeeeeek, hiiiigh" .. like harsh words, if anybody understands that. lol
    test
  9. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

if it's distorting, thats because it's too loud
    test
  10. Mr. Verbalist

Arcane, I look up to you...so how dare you make such an idiotic statement. "It's distorting because it's too loud" It could also be distorting because of frequencies fighting! Muahahahahahahahaha!!!

Arcane you know what I mean though by harsh words? like when you say "Back or Fight" the aaahhhhh sound and iiiiiiiii sound ... but the smoother sounding words never distort like when you say "Hum, or smoooth" ..

It may sound dumb, but I think I'm catching on to something here. lol

I also just did a quality check and set a longer release, that seemed to help also.
    test
  11. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

no, it's not distorting because of "frequencies fighting"

when multiple things are in the same frequency and you increase that band, you add overall gain to the audio

therefore making it too loud

so yes, it's distorting because it's too loud

to prove my "theory" get two tracks that are exactly the same, and mix them down together

the end result will be 3db louder than either of the origionals
    test
  12. Mr. Verbalist

There not even hitting 0db and they're distorting so that's still too loud? Okay Arcane, I'ma take your advice on it. Oh and btw, if I lower all the track volumes..how would I raise it back up, shouldn't the whole mix be hitting right at 0db?
    test
  13. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

HELL NO

if you're whole mix is hitting 0db, theres no headroom for mastering engineers to make it sound GOOD

i've never done a mix thats louder than -3dbu

99% of amatures mix their shit wayyyy too loud
    test
  14. SamSneed

SamSneed TrackWorks

i listen to your track on some crappy comp speakers...dont feel like taking the song over to my other comp, but i can definetly hear what your talking about...i cant tell whether its actauly diistrotion of just high freqs gone crazy...regardless the vocals sound very very compressed, this could be a cause, it could be bringing up undisired freqs in the high rang...definetly sounds like a de-essing issuse, but then again it also sounds like your boosting freqs in the 10-16khz with an eq becasue i think i hear what your talking through out the track...i guess it kinda sounds like it was recorded to hot also...i probably should have listened to it on my monitors before i said anything...i guess this wont help much...
    test
  15. Mr. Verbalist

Well Arcane I'm not getting my shit mastered. And yes Sammie, I did overcompress his vocals ...as you can see =) I highly doubt it's a de-essing issue, and I didn't raise in the EQ I just subtracted some lows and lo-mids ...

All the help is appreciated fella'z, you all get rep points, cause I love you poop-stains.
    test
  16. Mr. Verbalist

Syntax actually brought up the "proximity effect" you didn't ass-hat, but both of ya'll were wrong anyway. Haaa
    test
  17. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

that doesnt mean you should mix to 0dbu

always, and i mean always, mix to no more than -3dbu

some systems will not "agree" with a mix thats done at 0
    test
  18. Mr. Verbalist

I don't mind making the whole mix to -3dbu, but I hate when other artists/engineers say "Yo, why is the track so low? I can barley hear it"

That's when I say "Shut the fuck up! Atleast it sounds better than your loud ass distorted decroted piece of crap!" Right? :]
    test
  19. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

yes, and you can turn them to turn the volume on their playback system up

or get some ears that work...one or the other :):
    test
  20. SamSneed

SamSneed TrackWorks

checked it on me monitors...ill tell you this one...its definetly an overcompression/eq issue...which is creating a "ees-ing" issue in addition to the plus 10khz range going wild...up a raw vocal snippet...and i will be able to tell you exactly what to do
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.