Anyone wanna teach me how to make a sampled beat?

Discussion in 'Audio Producers Discussions' started by .:Pain:., Feb 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Premize Prod

Premize Prod aka reggie kush

tell that to just blaze, kanye west, pete rock, dj premier, jdillz(RIP), and every other producer int he game. i dont know where you fags get your ideas from but its quite sad. and im 99% sure your white. if not your a sad black fag. but plz be white.
    test
  2. Worthiest Words

Worthiest Words New Member

haha werd
    test
  3. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

uh...i'm pretty sure that they do SOME composition on their beats, not just cut up a sample, add some drums and be like "shit yo, I'm done"

download some midi files from their instrumentals and you'll see shit like pianos, strings and horns added ontop of the samples
    test
  4. Rebel.Music

Rebel.Music New Member

I think this is the first time I've ever completely agreed with Premize.
    test
  5. Rebel.Music

Rebel.Music New Member

They do sometimes, but not all the time.

In some cases, they'll just take a loop and add drums, like what Just did with "Touch The Sky."

In other cases, those other things on top of the sample is another sample from a different record.
    test
  6. RePerCuZionZ

RePerCuZionZ Square-Wave Creator

If i heard any hip hop producer take a sample of music i created, i would take them to the cleaners. And laugh at them after all the money that made off the record is now in my pocket.
    test
  7. Rebel.Music

Rebel.Music New Member

I don't think you're gonna have to worry about that.
    test
  8. Worthiest Words

Worthiest Words New Member

99% of the hotest beats hip hop related are sampled man. It's not simple as getting a loop and adding drums. You gotta think about drum selection, basses and if need be add some shit on to it. If you think kanye, 9th wonder, just blaze , premo etc shouldnt be called producers than you a moron. Your on the wrong board if you dislike people sampling.. RAPMUSIC AND SAMPLING GO HAND IN HAND. Most producers don't clear samples by the way, the artits or his label will do that.
    test
  9. Premize Prod

go back to techno.
    test
  10. RePerCuZionZ

RePerCuZionZ Square-Wave Creator

No one on this board knows a damn thing about the music biz

First, as the producer, YOU can be at fault even if you let the artist know there is a sample in the beat. Cuz first off, you are STEALING someones music, and making a profit off of it, so you are liable as well.

Get fuckin educated before you speak like you know the industry cuz you sell a beat to some cats on the street
    test
  11. Premize Prod

LMAO. keep posting. we need a clown on the board. we havnt had this one funny in a long time.

who is your favorite producer in the game? just curious
    test
  12. I SUCK AT POKER < DONKEY

I SUCK AT POKER < DONKEY who fuen CARES

only if someones tryin to pull a fast one on u.
    test
  13. sdizzle

sdizzle sexy beat maker

lmao.. i was just thinking.. that'd be a good name for a gay producer
    test
  14. th3r3isn0futur3

th3r3isn0futur3 Active Member

that has to be some of the dumbest shit I've ever read mayn... a midi files is a straight composition, re-played completely... so no shit theres pianos, strings, n horns.... I got Xzibits paparazzi midi n that shits straight sample.... everythings a sample... nuthin composed.... muhfucka, its a midi, the digital version of sheet music.... thas it, can't tell shit from a midi file...

how the fuck someone gunna ask how to make a sampled beat.... how hard is it to cut out 5 seconds, loop it wit a kick n a snare.... do peoples not listen to music, how many rap beats gotta looped sample wit some drums on top of them... its real hard to imitate mayn... all you faggots thinkin composin is "the real producers way"... this ain't no kung fu film muhfuckas....

hip hop was founded on sampling....

so how the fuck you gunna criticize samplin n say composin is the real hip hop way mayn? yea, samplins come a way.... people add instruments, chopp the shit up some.... but in the end, its the same shit... how bout you post some shit if you got that fire composition....

if you get fucked for not clearin a sample, thas yo stupid asses problem mayn... alchemist, blaze, everyone mayn... they clear their shit, no shit mayn.... plus they beats are nice, nuthin wrong wit samplin...

the point is to make a hot ass head noddin beat.... not compose a symphony.... this ain't mozart muhfuckas, this is hip hop....

lets hear yo shit mayn, where you in the industry if you know so much eh.... mayn, mad muhfuckas on here already in the industry, n more startin....

muhfucka, stupid muhfucka..... haha
    test
  15. Rebel.Music

Rebel.Music New Member

At the level that most of us are at, the original composers don't give a fuck. The court costs needed to go after someone who sold a beat for $200 dollars far, far, far outweighs the amount of money that they'll win.

Also, most producers on here have it in the contract that it is up to the artist or label to clear the sample.

Looks like you not as educated as you think.
    test
  16. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

wtf @ midi files being a straight composition

not even fucking close

you can tell that they've added parts by looking at a midi file...if it was JUST a sample + drums you'd be staring like 4 tracks: Sample, Kick, Snare, Hat

check out some dre/shady/kanye/blaze/9th/pete rock midi files...shit has like 10-20 tracks of information

now either they're:

a) putting the sample across like 14 tracks when they chop it (VERY unlikely)
    b) having insanely huge drum kits (also VERY unlikely, considering each track is playing a different part)
    -or-
    c) adding shit ontop of a sample
    uh, me and re are full time freelance recording/mixing/mastering engineers in toronto, we work with studios, musicians and record labels every day, and this board is fucking lucky that we take 20 minutes of our time and try and educate you poor bastards on how to actually get noticed doing something

theres tons of tracks that i've produced (and i mean actually produced, as in went with the artists to the studio and guided them through the recording process, not just made a beat, in a lot of the cases i didn't even make the beat) and engineered on my soundclick: www.soundclick.com/skewedupproductions
    test
  17. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

you sell a beat to rapper X for $200

rapper X puts song Y with your beat on their album

that album gets them signed to label Z

label Z released an album with song Y on it with rapper X, not knowing that the beat was sampled

the album sells alright and the artist puts out another album a few years later which happens to sell 5,000,000 copies

at this time, the owner of the origional sample finds out that his shit was used without permission and comes after you, rapper X and label Z because of the sample that got the artist in the door and the deal in the first place, and rapper X just sold an assload of records

now you, rapper X and label Z have to pay the sample owner like 70% of ALL the money that was made from the total record sales because that sample got the artist in the door and can be directly linked to the track you produced with the sample used in it

your contracts honestly don't mean SHIT unless you're paying an entertainment lawyer to look over and/or draft a contract for you. despite what you may believe, you can't just write on a piece of paper "samples gotta be cleared by the artist, yo" and have them sign it...that doesn't work, considering it's the producers job to make sure samples are cleared in the first place

legally, you're not even allowed to do anything with a sample UNTIL AFTER that sample is cleared for use and you're violating the artists copyright by re-recording their song in any form

it's not now that you have to be worried about shit happening...it's 10 years down the line when someone that bought a beat from you actually does something in the industry
    test
  18. MagicDonJuan

MagicDonJuan Active Member

touch the sky is a hot beat.
    test
  19. Rebel.Music

Rebel.Music New Member

This is exactly what the producers have been talking about. They'll go after the big money, rapper X and label Z's record sales. All that producer Y did was sell the beat for $200 bucks. That's all that Y made off of the record and so Y won't even be brought into the case. Now if Y was making royalties off of the record too, then I could see your point.

Maybe the original composer will come after Y for 70% of that $200 but I highly, highly doubt it.

And the contract does mean something. I'm taking a business law class right now and it goes in detail about what contracts need to be enforceable.

Not all of us here are 15 year old high school kids. Check the ego at the door.
    test
  20. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

no, they will come after the producer, because ITS THE PRODUCER WHO VIOLATED THE COPYRIGHT

you'd be the FIRST person they go after, as you're the one who violated their copyright in the first place. See Rant, pt. 3, subsection 2, second to last paragraph:

they don't give a fuck that you sold the beat for $200, they see that the artist now has made a ton of cash because of their music, and they want to get paid for it

good for you and your business law, it's absolutly useless when it comes to music industry shit

a contract that you draft at home will most likely not be worth two shits to any entertainment lawyer unless it's done in a certain manner, trust me, they will eat your typical internet producers contracts to shit in a matter of minutes

the only 100% positive way to get around this is to out line EVERY single responsibility of the producer and the artist in accordance with the contract, but that requires a TON of work, and also forces you to outline exactly where you got every single sound in the instrumental you're selling....the sample, the kick, the snare...everything. you put two seconds of dust bunnies fucking in your apartment on that beat, you have to list it. I have yet to see an internet producers (or for that matter, any producers) contract do that, save for once where the track had so many samples that it made more sense to list them all like that then not to

as for your last comment, i treat people as they've presented themselves. 98% of this board can't even form a proper sentance, let alone strike a half meaningful conversation in something that closely resembles common everyday english. what reasoning do i have to believe that anyone here would even understand two words of legal jargon in your typical contract?
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.