anyone played the latest Resident Evil?

Discussion in 'Game Zone' started by L u c y, Oct 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. L u c y

L u c y (Administrator) SWERVE

I've read mixed reviews, anyone played it?
    test
  2. LungZzZ

LungZzZ Well-Known Member

mhmmmm finally a videogame thread.

I'll be honest a friend and I were looking at it while picking up 2k13.
    I was also following it beforehand, the review wasn't too bad, though I heard they are still gung ho on the action.

Either way I could imagine getting this in like a couple months if there is a price drop.
    4 seperate main story lines? Sounds fun. You do some of the same things in them but w.e.
    test
  3. HANNAHMONTANA

HANNAHMONTANA New Member

if you liked resident evil 5, you'll like 6. me and my lady have been playing through it; we played one campaign and it took us about 6 hours or so. just started another campaign yesterday and it's already vastly different (in terms of tone, content and pacing) from the one we already played.

so far, we haven't seen any monster/boss recycling between campaigns, which is really cool.

IMO, do yourself a favour and give less of a shit about reviews while putting more emphasis on trying demos out (or watching gameplay videos on youtube to determine if it looks like something you'd enjoy). money has been talking in video game journalism for a couple years now, and japanese companies (capcom) are a lot less inclined to bribe journalists than say, activision or other american companies promoting the latest iteration of modern military shooters.

and this isn't really addressed to anyone in particular, but a big complaint about the newer RE games is that they have taken less of a turn in survival horror and turned the games into more action-based third person shooters. which is a valid criticism, but i would like to point out that both genres have evolved in varying degrees. survival horror games nowadays are more of a cinematic experience (a la amnesia, anna, even alan wake and heavy rain) where the emphasis on the immersion/capitalization of fear is helplessness and/or frightening circumstances where you have no weaponry and your only weapon is to run. resident evil has always been about guns, ammo, managing inventory and cheap scares. it still has all of those things. the only thing that has really changed is the audience (the vocal minority who were 12 years old when RE came into existence) and, with technological advancements, the immersion of actual fear-based games, most of which take place in first person to maximize immersion.

of course, keep in mind that i personally thought the resident evil games were pretty shit as a whole when i was younger. the gameplay used to center around traversing narrow corridors while expecting 'screamer'-esque cheap scares and things like inventory management and aiming were either a travesty or total failures. plus, even back then, silent hill did 'survival horror' exponentially better just by design alone.

tl;dr RE6 only got mixed reviews because people were expecting to be scared like it was 1999 again when all they got was a fleshed out story and extremely polished gameplay.
    test
  4. L u c y

L u c y (Administrator) SWERVE

some great points ^ thanks
    test
  5. LungZzZ

Resident Evil has the Mass Effect curse.

Resident Evil is a commercial brand so it is difficult not to get a hard on for it,
    whether Capcom has been paying journalists or not, their name,
    and games are loved by a cult-fan base at the least.

Resident Evil 4 wasn't even the same Resident Evil feel anymore,
    though I liked it loads more then 5 (and in general it was SICK for the WII).
    I play the series to get scared though,
    and to solve puzzles, something 5 shy'd away from.

It is good for lets say, maybe playing with your spose/friend^,
    heck it almost feels as if there ruining the whole Res gameplay aspects for some sort of multiplayer one.

I'm just getting to old (okay I'm still young),
    but I have been playing games since 64, they shouldn't be getting EASIER and EASIER.
    test
  6. OurSin

OurSin lol @ equality

Naw, the demo was ok though but i'm not sold on it. Heard mixed reviews, most people who played it said it's good most reviewers say it's terrible.

If you like the demo you'll probably like it, the camera sucks though
    test
  7. HANNAHMONTANA

HANNAHMONTANA New Member

yeah. resident evil and terrible camera are pretty much synonymous
    test
  8. LungZzZ

yup. can u run and shoot in this 1?
    test
  9. LVDon06

LVDon06 Member

Nah. Can't wait for the Call of Duty though
    test
  10. OurSin

OurSin lol @ equality

you can run, roll, slide etc

but you kinda have to figure it out yourself from my understanding. If you have a ps3 or xbox try the demo out
    test
  11. HANNAHMONTANA

HANNAHMONTANA New Member

test
  12. OurSin

OurSin lol @ equality

test
  13. DefKnotEmo

DefKnotEmo G.R.G.

I have it, and as a long term resident evil fan I will say Leons first half of his campaign is good, but the rest of the game is 3rd person call of duty esque.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.