Anyone Got There Stuff Published?

Discussion in 'Writer's Block' started by MisterEThoughts, May 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MisterEThoughts

MisterEThoughts MysteryOfUntoldTruth

ANYONE GOT THERE STUFF PUBLISHED?Let me know.. I need to ask some questions... I need to know because i was thinking starting my career in it....
    test
  2. eM-T

eM-T Because We Are

what up punk. This in ManMadeofAshes (my new name now that I am no longer a cigarette smoker)

-here are a few things you need to watch for.

1. Vanity Anthologies
    2. Subsidy publishers
    3. Internet-based publishers
    4. Reading fees (not same as contest entry fee)
    5. Contests
    6. Literary agents

^because a few of these are just sketch, but not alway bullshit, I can go into detail about the workings of all these if you like. Just let me know. Also ....

www.anotherrealm.com/prededitors/
    -if ever in doubt, industry watchdog groups can help. The above website provides lists of publishers and literary agents, with warnings about those that arent reputable.

www.sfwa.org/beware/
    -tracks contests, publishers, and literary agents. You can email the staff, and they'll let you know if they have recieved complaints.

(the above are oriented towards publishing poetry, and not what to be aware of in publication in general. Ex. 6. Literary Agents- For a writer this is a good idea no doubt. The problem with poetry is the market for it is slim to nill. Chances are, if a literary agent gives you, a poet, the time of day, it is because he plans to support himself with the charging of fees, and not from what you've produced. Reputable agents stick to the big guns, so any one who wants to jump start your poetry career is someone you should be weary of. Hit me up if ya got any more questions.

-eMpTy
    test
  3. RealMS

RealMS Ne te quaesiveris extra

Single pieces to separate publishers, for anthologies I mean. Of course I never see it, maybe because I've never purchased one. That was back in the day though. I got ripped off once too. Trick it. Anyway-I still get letters from them-giving ME the opportunity (other way around I would think) and when I show my dad he always says I shouldn't have to pay for the book.

I just joined the Academy of American Poets not too long ago.
    test
  4. RealMS

RealMS Ne te quaesiveris extra

^lol, don't ask if I'm a natural born citizen of the US. Shouldn't matter.
    test
  5. MisterEThoughts

MisterEThoughts MysteryOfUntoldTruth

Haha... What is this I just joined the Academy of American Poets not too long ago.?

what is that exactly?
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.